Training for a Trek (Everest Base Camp Trek)

Going to start kicking the training into high gear soon. The goal is for May 2021. Been talking with the Agency also. Looks like I might be going solo with my own Sherpa, and im thinking to try and add in Island Peak also :) They say its alot easier climb, but this I would have to do some extra training for.

What kind of BMI do most people that make it have?Any stats?

Well I think its so broad. Like ive seen people that are super skinny, or ive seen people who are chubby. But for the general base camp hike you will need good endurance and be some what fit. For Island peak which is the mountain most climbers use to acclimatize before they do Everest. You will need to be really fit and have good upper body strength. For this I will have to focus on a more crossfit style training.

You basically want to be in the best shape of your life. Its 18 days hiking/climbing, and if I add Island Peak into the mix then its an extra few days on top of that.

I think having some body fat might be essential too, esp with the extreme conditions around Everest. Base camp alone ive seen temps go down to -25, but that also depends on the time of year.

Right now im around 235 pounds. Id like to get down to atleast 190.

Last edited:
How much do these Sherpas weigh?

Really depends who you get lol. But these guys are machines lol. Could of do any of us with endurance and stamina lol. Being skinny or small really doesnt matter. As long as your in shape and have the endurance. But ya I will most likely weigh alot more then who ever my sherpa is lol.

Last edited:
Well I think its so broad. Like ive seen people that are super skinny, or ive seen people who are chubby. But for the general base camp hike you will need good endurance and be some what fit. For Island peak which is the mountain most climbers use to acclimatize before they do Everest. You will need to be really fit and have good upper body strength. For this I will have to focus on a more crossfit style training.

You basically want to be in the best shape of your life. Its 18 days hiking/climbing, and if I add Island Peak into the mix then its an extra few days on top of that.

I think having some body fat might be essential too, esp with the extreme conditions around Everest. Base camp alone ive seen temps go down to -25, but that also depends on the time of year.

Right now im around 235 pounds. Id like to get down to atleast 190.

You ever done anything alike? Smaller summits? Endurance is huge! Stretch your calves/ankles man incline walking/climbing will absolutely destroy your calves/ankles if there tight and not flexible. Need a good boot, descending can be worse on the feet then ascending with gravity helping your body weight smash all your weight into your feet.

You ever done anything alike? Smaller summits? Endurance is huge! Stretch your calves/ankles man incline walking/climbing will absolutely destroy your calves/ankles if there tight and not flexible. Need a good boot, descending can be worse on the feet then ascending with gravity helping your body weight smash all your weight into your feet.

Well nothing above 6 k :) lol :)

Lobuche seems like it will be an easier climb then say Island peak. Instead of buying my own boots im just going to rent them once in Nepal.
La Sportiva Nepal Cube Gore-Tex
you can get them for just a few dollars a day. That or the agency can supply them.

And ya desending on Lobuche can be tricky depending on time of year. Some guys have said you really gotta take it slow on the slope because it can get pretty icey. So taking each step carefully and making sure your crampon is in securely.

For me its about a new adventure away from the normal trekking and hiking. Sure I love doing that, but I want a new challenge. So I think each year I will challenge myself to do a new mountain with in reason.

Im planning to pick up one of those training masks too.

Edit: @Treneth I just realized those are the boots you used ? I looked back through the thread.

Last edited:
Don't do it, I just watched the movie Everest last night.;)

hahaha Im not doing Everest itself. Just going to hike to base camp and see the area and climb a few smaller mountains in the area that are safer. Everest its self tho really isnt that bad. Its the over crowding and lack of experience that gets people into trouble. That and once you get higher in elevation your thinking can become distorted. If it wasn't for the Sherpa's a good majority of these climbers would not even get close to the summit.

@Treneth

Gahh this one is stunning :) Some of the things this guy says about why he became a climber is alot of how I feel and why im taking it to that next level. Im sure Treneth will understand being a climber himself.

Well nothing above 6 k :) lol :)

Lobuche seems like it will be an easier climb then say Island peak. Instead of buying my own boots im just going to rent them once in Nepal.
La Sportiva Nepal Cube Gore-Tex
you can get them for just a few dollars a day. That or the agency can supply them.

And ya desending on Lobuche can be tricky depending on time of year. Some guys have said you really gotta take it slow on the slope because it can get pretty icey. So taking each step carefully and making sure your crampon is in securely.

For me its about a new adventure away from the normal trekking and hiking. Sure I love doing that, but I want a new challenge. So I think each year I will challenge myself to do a new mountain with in reason.

Im planning to pick up one of those training masks too.

Edit: @Treneth I just realized those are the boots you used ? I looked back through the thread.

I'd recommend an insole with the Nepal's very stiff hard boot best for kicking into the snow and ice but as far as traveling through rocky terrain they get rough on the feet, I dont use an insole as I didnt buy them large enough, i fear putting insole in them there wont be enough air gap and my feet get cold. But I wish i bought em bigger my palms of my feet get pretty tender and notice it much worse on descending.

You'll love it man I'm always under prepared physically and theres times where you'll be so tired hating life nothing but tunnel vision looking at a rope in front of you hoping you can take the next step, but once you stop regain yourself and look around its makes all worth it.

I'd recommend an insole with the Nepal's very stiff hard boot best for kicking into the snow and ice but as far as traveling through rocky terrain they get rough on the feet, I dont use an insole as I didnt buy them large enough, i fear putting insole in them there wont be enough air gap and my feet get cold. But I wish i bought em bigger my palms of my feet get pretty tender and notice it much worse on descending.

You'll love it man I'm always under prepared physically and theres times where you'll be so tired hating life nothing but tunnel vision looking at a rope in front of you hoping you can take the next step, but once you stop regain yourself and look around its makes all worth it.

Ok thanks man. Well with Lobuche you only wear the boots about half way. The first part is all rocks and such, so a good hiking shoe is fine. Ill have to ask the agency what options I have as per boots or what they offer, its all included in the price. So figured it better then having to cart a bunch of stuff to nepal.

Ya I think this first 6 k climb is going to be a huge challenge, but I think it will be well worth it once im at the top. When I first started this thread, the original plan was to just do the base camp trek. But now I wanna do this challenge and push my self to do new things ive always wanted to do.

You understand tho it seems.

Ill continue with the stair master and load my backpack up and use the training mask. Going to sign up to a rock climbing gym in the next few months also. I guess I will need some good upper body strength.. Pull ups and such have always been a weak point for me. My legs tho are built and got huge calves. So leg training im not worried about.

As much as I hate crossfit I have a feeling I should do that type of training also. Going to downsize too and probably just stay on a trt dosage.

Ok thanks man. Well with Lobuche you only wear the boots about half way. The first part is all rocks and such, so a good hiking shoe is fine. Ill have to ask the agency what options I have as per boots or what they offer, its all included in the price. So figured it better then having to cart a bunch of stuff to nepal.

Ya I think this first 6 k climb is going to be a huge challenge, but I think it will be well worth it once im at the top. When I first started this thread, the original plan was to just do the base camp trek. But now I wanna do this challenge and push my self to do new things ive always wanted to do.

You understand tho it seems.

Ill continue with the stair master and load my backpack up and use the training mask. Going to sign up to a rock climbing gym in the next few months also. I guess I will need some good upper body strength.. Pull ups and such have always been a weak point for me. My legs tho are built and got huge calves. So leg training im not worried about.

As much as I hate crossfit I have a feeling I should do that type of training also. Going to downsize too and probably just stay on a trt dosage.

Bring your own boots. The last thing you want is boots that your not familiar with and that do not fit exactly the way you want. It seems the feet hold a great responsibility for you success so do not skimp on them. Buy the very very best no matter what the cost and make sure they fit and your comfortable hiking in them.

The last thing you need is the feel of new boots when your setting off on such an adventure. To me that is setting yourself up for disaster.

Bring your own boots. The last thing you want is boots that your not familiar with and that do not fit exactly the way you want. It seems the feet hold a great responsibility for you success so do not skimp on them. Buy the very very best no matter what the cost and make sure they fit and your comfortable hiking in them.

The last thing you need is the feel of new boots when your setting off on such an adventure. To me that is setting yourself up for disaster.

Yes that is very true. Well its not till May 2021, so I got lots of time to save for a good pair of boots, and pay for the trip. :) Plus I guess having a good pair of my own boots would be good, esp if I wanted to do some snow/ice climbig in Alberta or BC.

And yes having a good pair of boots is really important, esp once you hit the point where you put the crampons on and every step you make is extremely important. One wrong step and down you go. Being comfortable to is important.

For those of you out there who might be a trainer or have knowledge on Endurance based training. What this guy talks about. Is it about right ?

Im not doing the trek anytime soon, but maybe in a year or two. But I figure if I start preparing now, I should be more then ready. Its a 15-18 day trek.

When it comes to the cardio part. I think I will just put a 10 pound weight into my pack and wear the rest of the gear. But should I set the tredmill on the up and down hill climb ? Or maybe just start with a mid incline ?

I love hiking, but this one will be the most intense by far. There are risk's. Major one being Altitude sickness.

Altitude sickness should be a non-issue if you acclimate yourself accordingly. I was at 14,000 feet last year on the summit of Mauna Kea, stopped for a while at 9,000 feet to let my body adjust to the altitude. What is the altitude of base camp?

Altitude sickness should be a non-issue if you acclimate yourself accordingly. I was at 14,000 feet last year on the summit of Mauna Kea, stopped for a while at 9,000 feet to let my body adjust to the altitude. What is the altitude of base camp?

Mount Everest: South Base Camp is in Nepal at an altitude of 5,364 metres (17,598 ft)

The hike to base camp its self takes around 9 days from Lukla Airport, If not a tiny bit longer. You do spend time in the villages acclimatizing. Im choosing the 18 day total route. So I will spend a bit more time acclimatizing.

But my total days I have no idea yet. As im adding on Lobuche Peak. Which will be done after I reach Everest Base Camp. I should already be some what acclimatized by the time I reach Lobuche. If I will be on the high or low camp on Lobuche idk yet.

Mount Everest: South Base Camp is in Nepal at an altitude of 5,364 metres (17,598 ft)

The hike to base camp its self takes around 9 days from Lukla Airport, If not a tiny bit longer. You do spend time in the villages acclimatizing. Im choosing the 18 day total route. So I will spend a bit more time acclimatizing.

But my total days I have no idea yet. As im adding on Lobuche Peak. Which will be done after I reach Everest Base Camp. I should already be some what acclimatized by the time I reach Lobuche. If I will be on the high or low camp on Lobuche idk yet.

hats off to ya man, helluva trip