Training for a Trek (Everest Base Camp Trek)

A lot of good advice here. I have a lot of experience humping heavy rucks, and I can tell you a good ruck and good boots are worth the extra expense. If you settle on Arcteryx (great gear!) you can get a hefty discount if you’re military or law enforcement. If you’re not, get a friend who is to order it for you online.

A lot of good advice here. I have a lot of experience humping heavy rucks, and I can tell you a good ruck and good boots are worth the extra expense. If you settle on Arcteryx (great gear!) you can get a hefty discount if you’re military or law enforcement. If you’re not, get a friend who is to order it for you online.

Do you know off hand how much discount? took a boo at the site but dont see it....

Treneth, ya ive thought about it multiple times. It would be such a beautiful site to reach the summit. But man such a huge risk, and the amount of gear you would need is insane, around $30 30k worth of stuff. Def not cheap.

But man the view lol. And you can def tell the pain this guy is in lol

Tho id really love to go through the Khumbu Icefall to atleast make it to Camp 1, then turn back lol. That I think is possible. If im correct you can get to Camp 1 and back in a day.

https://leaf.arcteryx.com/home.aspx?country=ca&language=en
Seems ya they have Military stuff.. But I dont see anything about discount for there regular products

These boots I think would be great.

https://www.arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/mens/bora2-mid-gtx-hiking-boot

Noticed they have a store on Queen st also. Might have to go in and check these boots out.
Leaf program isn’t readily noticed. I will look into it, but don’t get excited, not sure if I can transfer purchases yet.

No worries Heli. I have lots of time to prepare. Like I do have basic gear for say a day hike, but not for this type of trip. It all seems pretty easy tho to get.

Well I guess I should start posting with updates as per the training.

Today I did a back and leg work out with the bag on as much as possible.

Did about 5-6 sets of pull ups, starting at 10 reps for first few then going down.

Then after I did some back that I couldnt really benefit from having the pack on.

Once that was all said and done. I put another 20 pound weight into the bag and set the tredmill onto the Hill setting at a 4.0 pace with about a %6 incline and went for 30 mins. It honestly felt great after.

I guess anything I do with the bag on I can log it on here in a post.

Weight today was 238, Have lost about 12 pounds in the past couple weeks :)

Buddy of mine had to be taken down from Everest by paremedics. Very fit guy, but he got cocky and went too high too fast and suffered the consequences. Some think he got a little brain damage from HACE but I never noticed a change, same idiot as before.

Be careful, and good luck.

Ya its unfortunate that it happens to people. But Everest is not something you mess with lol. If one decides to go for the summit, the slightest mistake and its game over. There was a guy at Camp 4, he went out in middle of the night to dump one, slipped and that was it, game over.

Other people if they are just going for the trek to base camp, they think they can just try to rush it as fast as they can. Big mistake, Acclimatisation is important before proceeding higher.

Kinda why when I go im going to spend 18 days doing the trek.

Down 6 more pounds since monday. Most likely water, but have started to increase the cardio a bit to 30 mins post work out. Added another 5 pounds into my pack. Also started using the pack on my back when doing certain ab exercises (Planks & Hanging leg raises--what ever its called lol)

As per the weight lifting, have stopped doing heavy weights and dropped it down about 20% and focusing more on endurance, high reps, lots of sets.

But so far feel pretty good.

Weight today; 232

Also came across this documentary if anyone cares to watch. If you are into mountaineering then youll probably know about this. At the time it was one of the worst disasters in Mountaineering history. Alot of people say Everest is the most deadly mountain. But alot have never even heard of K2 or the history behind it.. There is a reason why only around 300 people have reached the summit of k2 :(

Last edited:
Training is going good.. Kinda stalled with weight loss at moment, but thats ok.

Tho I have found out its possible to get the permits and such to go through the Khumbu Icefall to Camp 1 hmmmmmm.. Downside total cost would be $11 k with everything included once there. permits and such.

Not to mention all the extra gear id need hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Going to summit would cost a hell of alot more tho. Im really thinking about it, might have to get some ice climbing training in also.

Ya Cog that would be a must to train with if I was to summit. But if I do end up going to Camp 1. I would spend more then enough time at Advance base camp to acclimatize. Plus I have the week and a bit hike from Lukla airport.

Well im still going to base camp and back tho lol.

Training is going good.. Kinda stalled with weight loss at moment, but thats ok.

Tho I have found out its possible to get the permits and such to go through the Khumbu Icefall to Camp 1 hmmmmmm.. Downside total cost would be $11 k with everything included once there. permits and such.

Not to mention all the extra gear id need hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Going to summit would cost a hell of alot more tho. Im really thinking about it, might have to get some ice climbing training in also.

So base camp is a must do for the wife and I.

Kid has to get older and newf has to get smaller but that’s another story or stories.

I’ve researched a bit and you can do the trip much cheaper than 11k. Now I know this is subjective as there are so many variables that can add cost very quickly, especially when it comes to gear and accommodations.

Not sure if you’ve considered some things but I’ll add some thoughts for consideration.

Gear wise some outffits will provide you with everything you will need for the trek minus your boots. It’s built into the cost of the trip and it’s apparently cost effective considering extra costs associated with bulky baggage all the way to Kathmandu and beyond. I’m sure there are sacrifices on some things as compared to what is available to us here but they’re not going to do this with gear that will undermine their business and reputation.. there’s too much competition.

Have you looked at mailing gear to your place of stay in Kathmandu before the trek. I’ve heard of some places that may do this although you have to be wary sending valuables to Nepal.

No joke. If you watch groupon ....basecamp treks pop up from time to time for anywhere between 699 and 999 US. They range 15-18 days. It includes airfare from multiple US airports and also air transfers to and from lukla. There are also similar trips that go from Pokhara to Annapurna. Accommodations in Kathmandu for a day before and after the trek as well. Includes guides and teahouse stays along the trek. I believe the treks are 15-18 days. You can check the actual vendor reviews that the trip is booked with. Anything I’ve looked at has seemed positive. With this I’m sure there are extensions etc you can plan if you wanted to stay at base camp for an extended period. This should be at nominal cost. Some offer trip extension to the game reserved as well in the south for rhino and tiger safari. All trips are offered outside of monsoon season too so you dont get stuck going there and not even getting out of Kathmandu.

Just some things I’ve looked at
But not any major scrutiny since this trip is probably 10ish years out for us.

Honestly size means nothing. Its more endurance based :) You can be a big guy but have great endurance.

As per the gear for the basic trek, ya I got all that figured out. Its alot of stuff, but well worth it, esp I can still use it during a cold Canadian winter. The main thing is to make sure all the base layer stuff is Merino wool. Even socks and underwear.

And ya as per the price, the 11k is based on the trek itself to base camp, then to go up and reach Camp 1. It becomes very pricey when you climb up. As typical most climbers have there own Sherpa, and then there is all the permits and such. Now if im going to go to Camp 1 yet, I have no idea, its alot of money to drop. But to me its the experience of a life time or could be the end of life hahaha. If its my time to go then its my time to go. Its extremely dangerous going to Camp 1, but no point in worrying about it.

And ya as for taking gear to Kathmandu, you can actually rent alot of stuff in the city, now alot of stuff is fake brand name, but it still does the job.

Well if you ever decide to go, enjoy and be safe :)

Endurance yes. But it takes a lot of blood and oxygen to move this shrek like creature. As I age size isn’t really desired as much. I struggle a lot these days with what effect this lifestyle has had on my long term health. I’ve known more than my share of bros that have past long before they should have.

Sorry with the post I thought the prices you were speaking of was only to trek to base camp. Camp 1 eh? Impressive!

We have friends that have done the trek to base camp. They have travelled the world. It is the favourite thing they have done.

It’s not if we go, it’s when. Once the kid is self sustaining we will be going.

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/itpp/
my buddy has been taking itpp for hockey(beer league). he used to do a large dosage of ACE before a game but now only takes this. its like epo in a single pill. single dose lasts around a week. says 15s on the bench and hes ready to go again.