Fuck Trudeau and Fuck Bill Blaire

I think its funny the government is so willoing to ban guns to reduce the amount of innocent people dying from gun violence..

Really?? If you want to be the government to go down in history as doing the most significant thing to reduce innocent deaths, make it law that all vehicles must be governed to go no faster than 105km/hr. Hell, invest the money to chip every road in Canada. Chip the road so that all cars on that road are governed to that speed on that road. And the next step is to make WIFI/3G signal impossible to get inside a moving vehicle except for a dash board GPS.

Why hasn't the government done this? Well ppl would loose their shit over being big brothered into having a governed car or can't use their phone in a vehcile. The government won't do it becuase it would piss off too many ppl. But they do it with firearms because the govenrment knows there's not enough of us who have the lisecnes and enjoy firearms. So not enough people to stand up and say no to stop them.

Like I said, I can't stand the atittude of ppl when it doesn't affect them, they don't care. Its ever worse when people will vote to increase gun laws because "I know nothin about guns, I don't own one either so sure increase those laws that I have not a single bit of knowledge about to begin with"....

I don't ride a motorcycle.. I'm terrifed I'll die on one. I have the opinion they are too dangerous for me... But I will friggin stand beside anyone who owns a bike and fight with them if the governmet tries to ban them.. Its their personal choice and shouldn't be taken away.. I honestly don't think they should even have to wear a helmet.. I believe if they are in a accident and not wearing a helmet it waives a portion or all of their free medical care though because they need to understand the decision to not wear a helment could have significant impacts.. Anyways, point is I'll stand up freedom of choice being taken away even if it's not a choice I make and never affects me.

You can't compare cars with guns. They are two entirely different things. Apples and oranges. But if you want, we can. People don't have the right to drive cars. It is a privilege. You get a license and you can lose it. You don't drive down the left side of the road. There are laws against it. You don't boogie at 250 KMH on the 407 because your car is capable of it. It is illegal. We have laws that govern driving vehicles.
Why would a government want to ban a motorcycle? Perhaps if you ban motorcycles, you will get rid of the Hell's Angels, Outlaws, Rock Machine, Vagabonds, etc. Daniel Desrochers should have a say in that one. Would you stand by those guys? A government will enact laws to make sure people operate them safely to ensure they don't become a stat of road death. They won't be allowed to show their colours. No Patches.

I have digressed a lot here because I feel the entire thing about gun laws is ridiculous. A gun ban is foolish. We can't ban guns and expect to eliminate gangs in Malvern from shooting each other. Thistletown and the Jungle are still wrecked. We can't stop gang violence with gun laws alone, but it may be a start — just a couple off the streets. More money has to be fed into community services. Give the potential gang members something else to do. Every youth organization I know in TO is underfunded. It has been like that since I started working in TO in the '80s. It's terrible. The communities are trying, and many people are volunteering in community centres, but there is never enough money. Even the Churches are strapped to stay open at night for the kids. It's not like the Girl Guides and Boy Scouts shooting each other. You comment about people not knowing about guns yet, you don't take into account what can and must be done to stop the scourge on the streets of the GTA that people are screaming for because they have seen their kids caught in the crossfire. Little kids killed. They are looking for an answer.
When I read Blair Hagen wants to change our Charter of Rights and Freedoms to make a constitutional change to enshrine the right to bear arms in Canada, the same as the US, I get scared. Just what we need. US gun Laws.
I don't care if you own a gun. I don't care if you hunt or target shoot. I do care if you think it is a right because that takes us down a terrible road of Yankee lunacy.
The discourse of the rural and the urban?

You can't compare cars with guns. They are two entirely different things. Apples and oranges. But if you want, we can. People don't have the right to drive cars. It is a privilege. You get a license and you can lose it. You don't drive down the left side of the road. There are laws against it. You don't boogie at 250 KMH on the 407 because your car is capable of it. It is illegal. We have laws that govern driving vehicles.

I think its fair comparision because we aren't comparing the act of using a gun to the act of driving a car.. We are comparing the freedom of being able to do those things. The entire population would be safer if cars couldn't go over 100km/hr, but we don't take that freedom to do so away regardless of how many lives it would save, yet we take the freedom of gun ownership away from owners who follow the law in hopes it will reduce the illegal gun crime.

Why would a government want to ban a motorcycle? Perhaps if you ban motorcycles, you will get rid of the Hell's Angels, Outlaws, Rock Machine, Vagabonds, etc. Daniel Desrochers should have a say in that one. Would you stand by those guys? A government will enact laws to make sure people operate them safely to ensure they don't become a stat of road death. They won't be allowed to show their colours. No Patches.

Same qustion, why would the govenrment want to ban guns? Using motorcycles and guns raises your risk of death and injury.. So why ban guns but not motorcycles?

Banning motorcycles will not reduce the crime from biker gangs. Same as taking the guns away from legal gun owners will not reduce the amount of gun violence.

I woudn't stand beside someone who wants to have the freedom to run a organized motorcycle gang for the purpose of committing crime, but I woudl stand beside a motorcycle owner who doesn't commint crimes if the government is trying to take his motorcycle. Thats the same as I wouldn't stand beside a gang member when he won't give up his gun to the government, but I'll stand beside a person who owns guns and does not use them in crime and only uses them for the correct purposes within the law.

I agree a society needs some laws to protect the citizens and to a degree protect them from making bad decisions. I think these laws preventing someone from making a bad decision need to be geared towards people who don't have the maturity or mental capacity to make the best deicsions for themselves. An example of this is legal drinking ages and legal driving ages. But sadly, even when adults should be old enough to make the right decision (and live the with the conseuences of a bad decision), they don't always do so. Piling on laws on EVERYONE to protect these people who can't make good decisions for themselves is unfair to the adults who can make the right decisions. I think those ppl who can't make the right decision need better education when they are younger, but as an adult they need firmer pusnishments for making bad deicsions to prevent these bad decisions and allow adults who can make good decisions to have the freedom to do those things.

Imagine when you were younger, and on the playground at recess 5 kids are abusing a peice of playground equipement and putting themselves at risk.. Instead of taking the freedom of using that playground equpiement from those 5 kids, they just ban all 100 kids from it to prevent the bad kids from hurting themselves or others. That's a crock of shit for both the good kid and likewaise the good adults.

I have digressed a lot here because I feel the entire thing about gun laws is ridiculous. A gun ban is foolish. We can't ban guns and expect to eliminate gangs in Malvern from shooting each other. Thistletown and the Jungle are still wrecked. We can't stop gang violence with gun laws alone, but it may be a start — just a couple off the streets. More money has to be fed into community services. Give the potential gang members something else to do. Every youth organization I know in TO is underfunded. It has been like that since I started working in TO in the '80s. It's terrible. The communities are trying, and many people are volunteering in community centres, but there is never enough money. Even the Churches are strapped to stay open at night for the kids. It's not like the Girl Guides and Boy Scouts shooting each other. You comment about people not knowing about guns yet, you don't take into account what can and must be done to stop the scourge on the streets of the GTA that people are screaming for because they have seen their kids caught in the crossfire. Little kids killed. They are looking for an answer.
When I read Blair Hagen wants to change our Charter of Rights and Freedoms to make a constitutional change to enshrine the right to bear arms in Canada, the same as the US, I get scared. Just what we need. US gun Laws.
I don't care if you own a gun. I don't care if you hunt or target shoot. I do care if you think it is a right because that takes us down a terrible road of Yankee lunacy.
The discourse of the rural and the urban?

I understand being in TO and seeing the gun violence around your own kids and neighborhoods, but even these families screaming for more gun control laws don't even understand the gun laws or how new laws will only be followed by the people who follow them already, not the assholes shooting up their neighborhoods. Is a desperite measure for someone in a desperite situation who truly isn't in a position to try to solve the issues by asking for more gun laws. I am also going to bet these people who are begging to see the gun violence end have never held a gun themselves, used a gun or know any of the current laws or the process to owning a gun. So what do they have to loose by demanding more gun laws/bans? NOTHING.. they have nothing to loose because they have no use for a gun. Again, thats like if my kid went on a school skiing trip and died by slamming into a tree and then me demanding skiing be a banned acitivity. Banning it will certainly reduce death/injury by skiiing so why not? And I personaly don't like skiiing so I have no use for it, so if I don't a shit if its banned nor do I give a shit about the people who ski responsible and enjoy it.. Yet my demand to ban it will severaly affect those ppl who ski responsible and that is absolutely not fair to those people.

Banning guns is not and never will be the answer to end gun violence... Your right in that the solution begins within the community and the supports and education available to them. I truthfully believe the major cause of gangs and gun violence is due to the break down of the family and family values. You are much much much less likely to get involved in those things when you have a functioning, loving family with dad still in the picture. It's so sad for me to see so many broken families and unfortunately (like you) I get to see the end result of poor parenting, being raised without a dad, no family values taught, no love learned, shared, felt or showed... Its just sad to see it happen and its happening more frequently..

FYI, I have stated this before, I do not agree with all of the USA firearms laws at all. I think their system is quite flawed... I am fairly happy with Canada's current gun laws. My only wish that I would like to see changed is:

-being able to carry a pistol when bow hunting, camping, fishing etc.. I live in a unique place in that it can be quit dangerous to do any of these activities without a firearm. I know this doesn't apply across Canada, but where I live it certainly does.

-being able to target shoot a handgun on private property.

-more strict firearms course/testing.

-much more harsh penalties for certain firearm laws such as illegally bought guns, using a gun in crime etc..

@Bagua

I should add.. I know you aren't a gun guy, but I know you love your swords and blades.. How would you feel if Canada banned kinves and swords like places in Europe? I mean, I'm sure you follow all the laws to own them and you use them responsibly, so why should you have to give yours up and not be allowed to buy anymore because gangs start killing ppl with swords?

Armed people sometimes intervene to stop gun violence in the U.S.

That they do, but there are a lot more useless shooting than interventions.
@Bagua

I should add.. I know you aren't a gun guy, but I know you love your swords and blades.. How would you feel if Canada banned kinves and swords like places in Europe? I mean, I'm sure you follow all the laws to own them and you use them responsibly, so why should you have to give yours up and not be allowed to buy anymore because gangs start killing ppl with swords?

Used to be a gun guy.

They already have. Since 1975 half of the weapons I really liked to train with were banned. I still have a few hanging around and was charged in the past for owning Nunchaku and Manrikigusari. Same laws as automatic rifles. It took me 7 years to get a pardon and luckily the Salvation Army who I was working with looked past the offence and didn't can me. I can't take a chance to get a double-bladed Karambit sent to Canada. One day they were legal, and the next day they weren't. The Cops actually took them out of my Kwoon in the '80s. Such is life.

That they do, but there are a lot more useless shooting than interventions.

Used to be a gun guy.

They already have. Since 1975 half of the weapons I really liked to train with were banned. I still have a few hanging around and was charged in the past for owning Nunchaku and Manrikigusari. Same laws as automatic rifles. It took me 7 years to get a pardon and luckily the Salvation Army who I was working with looked past the offence and didn't can me. I can't take a chance to get a double-bladed Karambit sent to Canada. One day they were legal, and the next day they weren't. The Cops actually took them out of my Kwoon in the '80s. Such is life.

You were ok with this? Did it not just piss you off right down to your soul to see your freedom of choice taken away due to trying to curb some imaginary issue by kicking the entire school of the teeter tooter becuause some dip shit kid would jump off and make the guy on the other end slam into the ground?

You were ok with this? Did it not just piss you off right down to your soul to see your freedom of choice taken away due to trying to curb some imaginary issue by kicking the entire school of the teeter tooter becuause some dip shit kid would jump off and make the guy on the other end slam into the ground?

It didn't affect my freedom of choice in the least. I got a conditional discharge because they were in a Martial Arts facility. There are many much better weapons like my twin sticks. Nothing lost really. I would like to own a double-edged karambit but I couldn't train without leaving the scabbard on anyway.

Canada doesn't have a gun problem, and any semblance of a problem we do have (occasional gang violence etc) is not going to be solved by eroding the freedom of lawful gun ownership. The politicians know this, but they are counting on an uninformed and apathetic populace, to be seen as "doing something". It's pandering and it's pathetic. Guns have always been present in this nation. We used to trust each-other with this responsibility. Why is our society so shitty that the trust has disappeared?

Canada doesn't have a gun problem, and any semblance of a problem we do have (occasional gang violence etc) is not going to be solved by eroding the freedom of lawful gun ownership. The politicians know this, but they are counting on an uninformed and apathetic populace, to be seen as "doing something". It's pandering and it's pathetic. Guns have always been present in this nation. We used to trust each-other with this responsibility. Why is our society so shitty that the trust has disappeared?

The gang violence is no longer occasional. It happens on an almost daily basis. It's not like the days when you had the Choice fighting the BDR's and not getting the general public caught up in it. The gangs these days are all-pervasive and don't care about innocent people getting gunned down. The Danzig Street shooting is an example of what can happen when you get fine lads like the Galloway Boys and the Malvern Crew hanging out at a party.
It would be so much better to throw tons of money into the community centres to stop kids before they get involved in gangs, but that isn't happening fast enough. May as well target guns.
We don't have the freedom to own guns. It is not a right. We do not have the 2nd amendment.

The gang violence is no longer occasional. It happens on an almost daily basis. It's not like the days when you had the Choice fighting the BDR's and not getting the general public caught up in it. The gangs these days are all-pervasive and don't care about innocent people getting gunned down. The Danzig Street shooting is an example of what can happen when you get fine lads like the Galloway Boys and the Malvern Crew hanging out at a party.
It would be so much better to throw tons of money into the community centres to stop kids before they get involved in gangs, but that isn't happening fast enough. May as well target guns.
We don't have the freedom to own guns. It is not a right. We do not have the 2nd amendment.

Those shootings are not solved by banning lawful ownership. Criminals aren't interested in following the law.

We don't have a 2nd amendment, but gun ownership is most definitely a freedom.

I own several shotguns and believe there should be some forms of gun control but we also need freedoms to decide on our own. We cannot be like the states but taking guns from legal owners is not going to solve gang violence either.

Someone on here once said that cops are no longer in the business of enforcement, they have become the clean up crew. Unfortunately this is very true. The US has gotten to a point where in some states enforcement of the law now falls on private citizens.

Until the police are willing to really push into these gangs and address the guns nothing is going to change. The guns that are killing people on the street are not legally acquired guns so a ban doesn’t fix this.

This is quite the ramble. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Every year in Canada there are a handful of homicides committed with fully automatic firearms. They have been prohibited in both the USA and Canada for decades. Apparently the criminals don't care.

Heroin is illegal but people die on the streets of Vancouver by the hundreds.

Hell, we're sitting here on a board discussing steroid use.

Prohibition never works.

I love Canada, I love trudeau, and I love our taxes.
I'm going to stay in Canada forever :)

We don't have a 2nd amendment, but gun ownership is most definitely a freedom.

Not even close.

Freedom defined: the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.
>absence of subjection to foreign domination or despotic government.
>the state of not being imprisoned or enslaved.
Section 1 of the Charter also recognizes that even in a democracy, rights and freedoms are not absolute.
The 2nd Amendment doesn't mention freedom but speaks of rights.
We Canadians are so dominated by Yankee culture we often mistake our Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms for the Yanks Constitution.
Section 1 of the Charter also recognizes that even in a democracy, rights and freedoms are not absolute.
I wonder how many people have read our Charter as opposed to cherry-picking the American Constitution?

I own several shotguns and believe there should be some forms of gun control but we also need freedoms to decide on our own. We cannot be like the states but taking guns from legal owners is not going to solve gang violence either.

Someone on here once said that cops are no longer in the business of enforcement, they have become the clean up crew. Unfortunately this is very true. The US has gotten to a point where in some states enforcement of the law now falls on private citizens.

Until the police are willing to really push into these gangs and address the guns nothing is going to change. The guns that are killing people on the street are not legally acquired guns so a ban doesn’t fix this.

This is quite the ramble. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Lobby for freedoms but don't expect an NRA type of control over our government as is the case in the states.
We haven't read the legislation yet, therefore we don't know what will be written. It may simply include a couple of specified models that can and have been adapted for fully automatic or Bill Blair dislikes. The Ruger Mini 14 is no doubt on the list for obvious reasons. Blair mentioned the AR 15.
Cops can't keep up with the gangs, but you can bet your Test they have most of them infiltrated. It is not only a policing issue. It is a Community Issue and lots of money has to put into the problem communities to stop ids from seeing gangs as way of life. There is no money. Everyone is strapped.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gun-gang-arrests-1.5192179

Every year in Canada there are a handful of homicides committed with fully automatic firearms. They have been prohibited in both the USA and Canada for decades. Apparently the criminals don't care.

Heroin is illegal but people die on the streets of Vancouver by the hundreds.

Hell, we're sitting here on a board discussing steroid use.

Prohibition never works.

I am almost certain we haven't had a murder with a fully automatic firearm — semi-automatic handguns sem to be the way to go.
Heroin is illegal, but we have controls and supports in place for those who are addicted. We have semi-strict penalties for dealers, but we have to be careful with quantities because many dealers sell to support their habit. As long as we have the Medical Model of Addiction we have to offer therapy along with a sentence for junkies.
Prohibition is tough to make successful, but if you look at Scotland after Dunblane, you will see some success because it was demanded by the people. Mind you, Scotland had far fewer guns than Canada does.
A steroid board and here we are talking gun control in a sensible non-naming calling manner.

Gotta edit: 18 automatic gun deaths in Canada since 2013. Not very many. But still 18 deaths.

Gotta edit: 18 automatic gun deaths in Canada since 2013. Not very many. But still 18 deaths.

1 in 2.0M chance of dying via automatic gun in Canada, meanwhile 9-10 people per year die from lighting strike....god politics irk me.

I was either hit by lightning or it landed really close when I was doing road work back in the day. The boom and the light were at the exact same time and I was blown five feet forward but landed on my feet. My running partner was completely freaked. We should have stopped but we only had a mile to go. We kept going like young fools do.