Whats your workout split if you do martial arts?

I'd like to clarify also that any of my fighting posts are specifically meant for training and competitions. I don't like street fights, and never will. Too many people get hurt or die for the stupidest reasons. Besides if anyone trys to take a random tip they learned online and be too courageous in a street fight your going to get messed up. Save it for the ring, like they say..glove up or shut up lol

I've been doing 2 days of jiu-jitsu and 2 as of boxing each week. I'm ring to figure out how to fit in some strength training without over doing it. So far this is what I've come up with but it doesn't feel right

Monday legs/1hour boxing
Tuesday 2 hours jiu-jitsu
Wednesday chest 1 hour boxing
Thursday 2 hours jiu-jitsu
Friday back/arms
Saturday shoulders and abs
Sunday rest

I'm thinking bro split is too much and maybe just 1 day a week of full body but maybe some advanced guys have good routines
I have this same schedule and based on how im feeling tend to take the extra rest days when needed. When I got into fitting the gym portions around boxing and bjj I found that hitting 3 times a week full body was my starter (early am), but I lost some mass (natty) pretty quick which was fine. I couldnt eat the calories personally to keep up a bodybuilding weight.
Outside of that, I'd do more specific exercises ( or tempos of exercises) to enhance fight performance. I'm usually sparring around 12 rounds a week between the 2, plus bjj each class fundamentals, boxing pad work, bags etc. but currently out and relaxing a shoulder injury. Also usually roll with an ex pro mma fighter buddy of mine every couple weeks to find humility and holes in my game.

Keeps the spice alive, just a bit of a difficult balance to maintain between the 3. I'm also not a young pup anymore.

In a nutshell, If you're you're going to focus on fight training, lifting is pretty much supplemental.

I have this same schedule and based on how im feeling tend to take the extra rest days when needed. When I got into fitting the gym portions around boxing and bjj I found that hitting 3 times a week full body was my starter (early am), but I lost some mass (natty) pretty quick which was fine. I couldnt eat the calories personally to keep up a bodybuilding weight.
Outside of that, I'd do more specific exercises ( or tempos of exercises) to enhance fight performance. I'm usually sparring around 12 rounds a week between the 2, plus bjj each class fundamentals, boxing pad work, bags etc. but currently out and relaxing a shoulder injury. Also usually roll with an ex pro mma fighter buddy of mine every couple weeks to find humility and holes in my game.

Keeps the spice alive, just a bit of a difficult balance to maintain between the 3. I'm also not a young pup anymore.

In a nutshell, If you're you're going to focus on fight training, lifting is pretty much supplemental.
Yea I find what works for me is just a bro split with weights and no specific timeliness for the cycle. I might finish full body every week and a half or so but I'm getting tons of hypertrophy at classes. I also just throw in rest days whenever I can or if I'm exhausted I'll take the entire weekend off. I'm staying so fit and lean I don't mind a little loss in muscle mass for the time being.

Yes, I am old....this will be my 25th year training jitz (14th as a blackbelt)...plus 9 years judo prior to that and 4-5 years boxing prior to that. Been training combat sport practically my whole life. That said i think @Bagua been training martial arts longer.

Very good points - lifting for me is about balance. You over use a ton of muscles grappling (grips, neck, posterior chain, abductors, groin) and under use others (chest, shoulders, quads, lower back). My training is focused on maintaining balance with all the muscles to prevent injury, maintain a required level of strength and lets be honest to look athletic.

Neck - in the gym i don't do any specific neck work (outside the upper back benefits from barbell squats and deadlifts). I don't know any seasoned grappler without neck issues...someone is always pulling, hanging from or trying to choke you neck. (My C3-C4 are practically fused together with tons of supraspinatus issues). My priority for neck is to invest heavily in mobility work, message and chiro. We do bridge and other neck work during jiu jitsu warmups

Abs - The whole core gets over used tons during jiu jitsu so in the gym i don't do anything additional outside proper bracing during all barbell and dumbbell work. to manage fatigue i do strategically use some machines but i am conscious to primarily focus on free weights. For example, i will pre-fatigue the legs with leg press but then i will go straight to barbell back squats,, trap bar deadlifts, etc.

Grips - my hands are an arthritic mess from Jitz (especially gi). In the gym i do use straps...they don't need more work...they need less. My grips are like steel though...its the number one comment when people train with me. And you only get that from sparring and drilling for many many years. (its the old man strenght)

Strength training - Powerlifting has limited benefits for jiu jitsu. 5x5 training for example is a waist of time (unnecessary fatigue and high risk of injury to the joints.) You need to be strong enough so you are not at a disadvantage but you also don't need to be the strongest. Jitz is about time under tension. a 5 minute sparring session is continuous tension with multiple shorts bouts of explosiveness. that is why my lifting tempo is always 1-4 with a full one second pause at the bottom. And my rep range is 10 -15 reps for upper body and 12-20 reps for lower. And i only take 1:15 seconds between sets for large muscles and 60 seconds for small. Number of sets is also a factor...anytime i did a full hypertrophy work out with like 10-20 sets per muscle group...i ALWAYS tweaked that muscle next day at jiu jitsu...it was just too "tore down" to perform the way i need it too.

Conditioning - outside walking the dogs twice daily, i never do cardio. Jitz is my cardio. the only way to get in condition for jiu jitsu sparring is to spar. Bike, running, etc just does not translate to cardio benefit at Jitz. To get better at a sport you have to do the sport.

my two cents. Great topic for all sports...not just jiu jitsu.

PS - over training is part of the sport...its hell on the nervous system and joints. I can be smart but it can't be avoided. Usually you are in peak condition when it strikes.
@Oldguyjiujitsu
@Bagua

Any tips for shoulders with regards to injury prevention in jiu jitsu? I realize proper tehhnique comes into play here, just wondering if theres anything specific to do to stregthen them beyond normal bodybulding type exercises for impact etc.
I've boxed and lifted for years and never had a shoulder injury until now while rolling. It wasn't anything abrupt either, just slightly awkward takedown and then pain. next day barely could move arm and hindered sleep etc.

It's almost back to normal after a month, but still working mobility and boxing regularly. Haven't hit the mats yet though

@Oldguyjiujitsu
@Bagua

Any tips for shoulders with regards to injury prevention in jiu jitsu? I realize proper tehhnique comes into play here, just wondering if theres anything specific to do to stregthen them beyond normal bodybulding type exercises for impact etc.
I've boxed and lifted for years and never had a shoulder injury until now while rolling. It wasn't anything abrupt either, just slightly awkward takedown and then pain. next day barely could move arm and hindered sleep etc.

It's almost back to normal after a month, but still working mobility and boxing regularly. Haven't hit the mats yet though
I got nothing, but I did find an interesting Vid.

No problem, sir. I have lucked out, as my shoulders have never really bothered me beyond the usual aches and pains.
Yeah same here man, right up until last month. I was always mystified when people had shoulder issues as I somehow avoided that over the years, despite a rough lifestyle on my body. But I guess that's all part of the aging game.
I'll incorporate the exercises into my cardio days (today) and see how they work out.
Appreciate the response. Cheers

@Oldguyjiujitsu
@Bagua

I have had tons of shoulder issues

There are no specific exercises.

Focus on a few things:
1. Takedowns- know how to breakfall properly
2. When on bottom - know how to frame properly. Arms at 45 degrees. Straight arm pushing to maintain space will trash shoulders
3. Kimura and kimura trap will trash rotators. Know how to recognize and defend or tap early.

Maintain good shoulder mobility. Work on it before lifting for push days

I have had tons of shoulder issues

There are no specific exercises.

Focus on a few things:
1. Takedowns- know how to breakfall properly
2. When on bottom - know how to frame properly. Arms at 45 degrees. Straight arm pushing to maintain space will trash shoulders
3. Kimura and kimura trap will trash rotators. Know how to recognize and defend or tap early.

Maintain good shoulder mobility. Work on it before lifting for push days
Ty sir! Appreciate that advice very much. I'll will do so.

I'd like to clarify also that any of my fighting posts are specifically meant for training and competitions. I don't like street fights, and never will. Too many people get hurt or die for the stupidest reasons. Besides if anyone trys to take a random tip they learned online and be too courageous in a street fight your going to get messed up. Save it for the ring, like they say..glove up or shut up lol
Yea I don't see myself violent in any way. But I get myself in, as you say, the dumbest of situations. I grew up on comedies, violence is funny, and I guess I feel like I'm looking at a screen cause I giggle when people get aggressive n it always sends the wrong message 😅. Its not an egotistical laugh, like I'm flexin' or something I just don't recognize it as a dangerous situation and instead see it as a comedy skit or something ... Everyone else thinks I'm violent for some reason, even the ones who haven't seen my CSO. I work with high risk adults so it's normal to have 2-5 seperate police incidents a day. I've always wanted to get into some sort of fighting sport but everyone I suggest it to says I'm the last person who should do it 🤷... But I was just watching Kurt angels documentary recently and that guy had like a 22inch neck or something, and he broke his back and neck like 5 times and his muscles were just so developed he barely noticed.. he won the Olympic gold with two breaks in his spine that he got in the third last fight and in the video everyone kept talking about his neck then when they were talking about his toughest challenge Brock Lesnar and when they were talking about why he was so tough they didn't mention his height or his weight or how quickly he could move all that weight they kept being like "his neck......" So it got me lookin in the mirror and I realised I have big traps but a small neck, so I reached my goal weight and I was like maybe I can make my neck one of my next goals lol

Yea I don't see myself violent in any way. But I get myself in, as you say, the dumbest of situations. I grew up on comedies, violence is funny, and I guess I feel like I'm looking at a screen cause I giggle when people get aggressive n it always sends the wrong message 😅. Its not an egotistical laugh, like I'm flexin' or something I just don't recognize it as a dangerous situation and instead see it as a comedy skit or something ... Everyone else thinks I'm violent for some reason, even the ones who haven't seen my CSO. I work with high risk adults so it's normal to have 2-5 seperate police incidents a day. I've always wanted to get into some sort of fighting sport but everyone I suggest it to says I'm the last person who should do it 🤷... But I was just watching Kurt angels documentary recently and that guy had like a 22inch neck or something, and he broke his back and neck like 5 times and his muscles were just so developed he barely noticed.. he won the Olympic gold with two breaks in his spine that he got in the third last fight and in the video everyone kept talking about his neck then when they were talking about his toughest challenge Brock Lesnar and when they were talking about why he was so tough they didn't mention his height or his weight or how quickly he could move all that weight they kept being like "his neck......" So it got me lookin in the mirror and I realised I have big traps but a small neck, so I reached my goal weight and I was like maybe I can make my neck one of my next goals lol
I get that for sure man. It doesn't sound ego tistical at all. Another thing I've been doing lately is using resistence bands for neck stuff. It works pretty good

Just an update so what I've been doing is going great feeling good lots of energy.
Monday full body workout
Tuesday bjj
Wednesday boxing
Thursday bjj
Friday full body workout
Saturday boxing

Just fine tuning the boxing but it's about an hour, warm up then hiit on heavy bag followed 10 rounds of circuit training with plyometrics and skill specificity(defense, footwork, agility ladder, combination drills) at the end.

I think it's a good post because without an overall coach I had no clue how to fit everything in together but it's coming along nicely.

Last edited:
I might try complex training where on full-body workout days I follow each heavy free weight set with a plyometric power exercise ex bench press followed by clapping pushups or squats followed by box jumps. That way I can take the circuit training out of the boxing days and have more time for pads, heavy bag, sparring etc

You have to get Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey. It's an oldie but a goodie. His self-defence book Fight Tough is good, too.
How much time are you spending on each workout?

You have to get Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey. It's an oldie but a goodie. His self-defence book Fight Tough is good, too.
How much time are you spending on each workout?
I try to keep it under an hour a day. So hour for boxing, hour for weightlifting the only exception is jujitsue days and it's a 2 hour class twice a week. Jujitsus not extremly taxing on energy though so far and being that it's later at night I sometimes throw in a 15 minute ab, neck or wrist workout on the morning of.