Whats your workout split if you do martial arts?

Bigbear

The Kodiak
Trusted Member
I've been doing 2 days of jiu-jitsu and 2 as of boxing each week. I'm ring to figure out how to fit in some strength training without over doing it. So far this is what I've come up with but it doesn't feel right

Monday legs/1hour boxing
Tuesday 2 hours jiu-jitsu
Wednesday chest 1 hour boxing
Thursday 2 hours jiu-jitsu
Friday back/arms
Saturday shoulders and abs
Sunday rest

I'm thinking bro split is too much and maybe just 1 day a week of full body but maybe some advanced guys have good routines

I've been doing 2 days of jiu-jitsu and 2 as of boxing each week. I'm ring to figure out how to fit in some strength training without over doing it. So far this is what I've come up with but it doesn't feel right

Monday legs/1hour boxing
Friday back/arms
Sunday rest

I'm thinking bro split is too much and maybe just 1 day a week of full body but maybe some advanced guys have good routines
If your currently enhanced that might be fine if your currently natty an extra rest day might be needed. When I was kickboxing and strength training natty I did 5 a week and 2 rests but when enhanced 6 days a week was no issue.The best part is you can change as required based on how you feel.

Monday legs/1hour boxing
Friday back/arms
Sunday rest

S & C for athletes is one of the most interesting and challenging subjects from a trainer/coach perspective at least in my experience. It is SO much easier to program for a bodybuilder at any level than a serious athlete of any major sport. Compound this with fact that most serious athletes don't want to take any time off of skill work even in the off season anymore. Worst struggles for me have been hockey players especially at the younger ages up to say 20. Most of the young Bedard/Mcdavid/Crosby wannabees are on the ice at least 5 days a week nowadays, overall recovery and especially the legs is difficult and these guys (and their parents) are anxious about falling behind.

Lost track of time and late for gym, gotta run will add more later

It all depends on what you mean by Boxing. Are you in a gym with a trainer or just mucking around at home with a bag?
I do martial Arts every day; every day, I do something, even if it is just working on my dummy form. Two total hours of martial arts based on impact training on my dummy. I base my techniques on contact, give or take, 90 % of the time, and the other 10% is working on speed. My split is chest/ forearms, back /forearms, shoulders /forearms, tricep/ bicep/ forearms. Legs are done daily with isometric holds of deep stances, bodyweight squats, and Hojo undo. I have no set days for when I hit any workout.
You have to figure it out for yourself because it depends so much on the intensity of your Boxing routine and how hard you roll. Also, your age.

Monday: BJJ Gi.
Tuesday: Back, Tri's, Abs & Neck
Wednesday: NoGi
Thursday: Chest, Biceps & Traps/rear delts
Friday: BJJ Gi.
Saturday: Legs, Shouders,Abs & Neck
Sunday: Lower back (weighted hyper extensions), then usually some bicep con curls and cable curls or anything I feel I'm lacking....

This works for me. I also walk my Dogo 4kms in the morning on Thurs, Fri & Sunday's. If I feel like I'm over-doing it, I might pull back on sets or exercises altogether. I will also incorporate back-off weeks.

If your currently enhanced that might be fine if your currently natty an extra rest day might be needed. When I was kickboxing and strength training natty I did 5 a week and 2 rests but when enhanced 6 days a week was no issue.The best part is you can change as required based on how you feel.
Not enhanced just trt.

It all depends on what you mean by Boxing. Are you in a gym with a trainer or just mucking around at home with a bag?
I do martial Arts every day; every day, I do something, even if it is just working on my dummy form. Two total hours of martial arts based on impact training on my dummy. I base my techniques on contact, give or take, 90 % of the time, and the other 10% is working on speed. My split is chest/ forearms, back /forearms, shoulders /forearms, tricep/ bicep/ forearms. Legs are done daily with isometric holds of deep stances, bodyweight squats, and Hojo undo. I have no set days for when I hit any workout.
You have to figure it out for yourself because it depends so much on the intensity of your Boxing routine and how hard you roll. Also, your age.
The boxing is just at home but it's pretty intense and sometimes I have a partner for focus mitts and sparing. I used to train with coaches so it's close to the same set up. Lots of work with bands, medicine balls, heavy bag speed bag pretty much all the equipment you'd have at a gym. When my training spot closed down I kept all the equipment. I usually burn like 600 calories at least in a session

The boxing is just at home but it's pretty intense and sometimes I have a partner for focus mitts and sparing. I used to train with coaches so it's close to the same set up. Lots of work with bands, medicine balls, heavy bag speed bag pretty much all the equipment you'd have at a gym. When my training spot closed down I kept all the equipment. I usually burn like 600 calories at least in a session
Do you break your session into rounds?

Yea 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest inbetween
I think that is the workout you must watch, especially if you do a substantial amount of bag work. By training with rounds, you will detect slight changes in the intricate aspects of your punches and footwork. You will be able to cut back on certain things when this happens. I notice my Mook Jong form gets a wee bit off with the footwork when I start getting burned out. When this happens twice, I take it easy (relatively) for a couple of my weight training days on the Mook. This helps me keep my technique sharp.
I wouldn't change anything in your schedule, but I would keep an eye on the early signs of over-training.

@Bigbear two ideas come to mind -
Assuming keep the 4 days of shitkicking is a priority and you wish to keep Sunday off:

Monday 1hour boxing + Legs AFTER Boxing ("lighter" than the Heavy day) + Abs
Wednesday 1 hour boxing + HEAVY Legs AFTER Boxing + Abs
Friday Push Workout
Saturday Pull Workout
Sunday rest

Including Training on Sunday Would be MUCH better, especially for recovery and minimizing injury potential:
Monday 1hour boxing
Wednesday 1 hour boxing
Friday Push
Saturday Legs + Abs
Sunday Pull

All the Push and Pull days are "Heavy" which in this case mostly refers to lower rep ranges and low overall volume. I hardly ever trained abs in my life and they are always visible even when I'm "fat". I credit this mostly to putting big weight through my spine but also they seemed to get a shit ton of work when training shitkicking of any sort, striking for sure as well as any grappling but I've not done a ton of that.

Thanks everybody out of everything I think I found what I was looking for. Your advice is always appreciated

If I were you I would do 2 days a week push/pull or at most push/pull/legs
Jj takes alot out of you, never mind boxing and lifting on top of that. Your animal, just make sure that cns gets a reet

If I were you I would do 2 days a week push/pull or at most push/pull/legs
Jj takes alot out of you, never mind boxing and lifting on top of that. Your animal, just make sure that cns gets a reet
Yea over trainings my biggest worry.

I try to do a cold plunge every morning which makes all the difference. Evert now and then I throw in an extra rest day or two as well. The only part that falls out of routine is strength training but worst case scenario is I hit full body every week and a half or so. That's why I asked but there's no rule that says it has to be exactly every 7 days lol

At 52, on top of bjj i lift 3 days per week. Push pull legs.

If i feel like i am not recovering i just do two workouts that week. Upper/lower. I always start the week with legs so i can make the decision of lifting 2 or 3 days as the week progresses

I limit workouts to an hour, keep reps in the 10-15 range and limit total working sets in a session to 20.

I have not done his workouts but Dr. Mike I. On YouTube has some good vids on lifting and Jiu Jitsu. I believe he says he has a brown belt

At 52, on top of bjj i lift 3 days per week. Push pull legs.

If i feel like i am not recovering i just do two workouts that week. Upper/lower. I always start the week with legs so i can make the decision of lifting 2 or 3 days as the week progresses

I limit workouts to an hour, keep reps in the 10-15 range and limit total working sets in a session to 20.

I have not done his workouts but Dr. Mike I. On YouTube has some good vids on lifting and Jiu Jitsu. I believe he says he has a brown belt
@Bigbear says he has a plan so I'll selfishly derail with a specific on topic question.

OGJJ I think you've trained JJ for longer than anyone I know on the boards, from your experience would a guy who has modest bodybuilding goals be advised to train abs and neck in the gym or using Bigbear's schedule as an example would you leave them alone?

I'm a huge advocate of neck training. For everyone but especially contact athletes, if for nothing more than injury prevention. I'd usually put it in to any program I write but any type of grappling gives me reason to pause. I'm also aware that group sessions often do specific neck exercises as part of the class. I'm not big on ab training if they are being worked through other means, normally I'd mean putting big weight through your spine but grappling of any sort always will engage them too. (competitive bber's are an exception to all of that)

@Bigbear says he has a plan so I'll selfishly derail with a specific on topic question.

OGJJ I think you've trained JJ for longer than anyone I know on the boards, from your experience would a guy who has modest bodybuilding goals be advised to train abs and neck in the gym or using Bigbear's schedule as an example would you leave them alone?

I'm a huge advocate of neck training. For everyone but especially contact athletes, if for nothing more than injury prevention. I'd usually put it in to any program I write but any type of grappling gives me reason to pause. I'm also aware that group sessions often do specific neck exercises as part of the class. I'm not big on ab training if they are being worked through other means, normally I'd mean putting big weight through your spine but grappling of any sort always will engage them too. (competitive bber's are an exception to all of that)
Yea I kind of sped through my post pretty fast, I do extra neck and wrist workouts and lots of mobility/recover stretches.

I was mainly thinking about legs, shoulders and core. I use them like crazy in the boxing and jiu-jitsu but it's hard to Guage how much or what kind of hypertrophy it's causing

Yes, I am old....this will be my 25th year training jitz (14th as a blackbelt)...plus 9 years judo prior to that and 4-5 years boxing prior to that. Been training combat sport practically my whole life. That said i think @Bagua been training martial arts longer.

Very good points - lifting for me is about balance. You over use a ton of muscles grappling (grips, neck, posterior chain, abductors, groin) and under use others (chest, shoulders, quads, lower back). My training is focused on maintaining balance with all the muscles to prevent injury, maintain a required level of strength and lets be honest to look athletic.

Neck - in the gym i don't do any specific neck work (outside the upper back benefits from barbell squats and deadlifts). I don't know any seasoned grappler without neck issues...someone is always pulling, hanging from or trying to choke you neck. (My C3-C4 are practically fused together with tons of supraspinatus issues). My priority for neck is to invest heavily in mobility work, message and chiro. We do bridge and other neck work during jiu jitsu warmups

Abs - The whole core gets over used tons during jiu jitsu so in the gym i don't do anything additional outside proper bracing during all barbell and dumbbell work. to manage fatigue i do strategically use some machines but i am conscious to primarily focus on free weights. For example, i will pre-fatigue the legs with leg press but then i will go straight to barbell back squats,, trap bar deadlifts, etc.

Grips - my hands are an arthritic mess from Jitz (especially gi). In the gym i do use straps...they don't need more work...they need less. My grips are like steel though...its the number one comment when people train with me. And you only get that from sparring and drilling for many many years. (its the old man strenght)

Strength training - Powerlifting has limited benefits for jiu jitsu. 5x5 training for example is a waist of time (unnecessary fatigue and high risk of injury to the joints.) You need to be strong enough so you are not at a disadvantage but you also don't need to be the strongest. Jitz is about time under tension. a 5 minute sparring session is continuous tension with multiple shorts bouts of explosiveness. that is why my lifting tempo is always 1-4 with a full one second pause at the bottom. And my rep range is 10 -15 reps for upper body and 12-20 reps for lower. And i only take 1:15 seconds between sets for large muscles and 60 seconds for small. Number of sets is also a factor...anytime i did a full hypertrophy work out with like 10-20 sets per muscle group...i ALWAYS tweaked that muscle next day at jiu jitsu...it was just too "tore down" to perform the way i need it too.

Conditioning - outside walking the dogs twice daily, i never do cardio. Jitz is my cardio. the only way to get in condition for jiu jitsu sparring is to spar. Bike, running, etc just does not translate to cardio benefit at Jitz. To get better at a sport you have to do the sport.

my two cents. Great topic for all sports...not just jiu jitsu.

PS - over training is part of the sport...its hell on the nervous system and joints. I can be smart but it can't be avoided. Usually you are in peak condition when it strikes.