Whats your workout split if you do martial arts?

That's why I'm trying to mix aerobic and anarobic stuff together, road work it would probably be the garenteeing factor that would push it into over training

You could try wind sprints.
I think that just answered it. Not particularly wind sprints but I usually do mma stuff with the same design effort wise. I read an article on wind sprints and they still are aerobic where as I thought sprinting and not full recovery on rests would of made then anarobic. Thanks man

I have a new structure now but originally I was doing like 10x 3 minute rounds of heavy bag/footwork/ defensive drills thinking it's not quite hiit but it's too intense to be steady state. I think this works perfectly to activate aerobic and anarobic fuel systems. I just never read much on the mechanisms and didn't realize they could be done together. Most studys classify aerobic work as 30 minutes of zone 2 where one can speak correctly or nose breat. Hiit, sprints sled pulls etc are anerobic but what I didn't know is can being at least in a steady state at zone 2 or higher still allow you to generate enough ATP to do short powerful bursts of intensity. For anyone interested the best elite boxers are thought to have around a 70%-30% anarobic to aerobic capacity ratio. So definitely both are important but running an hour every morning might not be desperately needed. I guess I was also off because I took the classic definition of hiit as strictly 30 seconds or less of work to 1 or 2 minutes recovery.

@Bagua I don't know anything about Sambo but from what I've read I'd definitely love to try it. My boxing routines are split in two one day is traditional and the second is muay thai. Then with the bjj and some previous judo I have it's an OK balance. I think in a perfect world wrestling would be thrown in and probably Sambo

@Bagua I don't know anything about Sambo but from what I've read I'd definitely love to try it. My boxing routines are split in two one day is traditional and the second is muay thai. Then with the bjj and some previous judo I have it's an OK balance. I think in a perfect world wrestling would be thrown in and probably Sambo
I don't know anyone in the Sambo world, but I do know it is a comprehensive Martial Art effective at all ranges of fighting. The training is considered to be among the toughest of the fighting styles from what I can ascertain from the YouTube videos I have watched. Wrestling was always a great workout, but man did I suck at times.
Have you considered running stairs and hills? Both of those were incorporated into my workouts back in the day. Now I have to take it easy walking my poodle up stairs because of my knees—the joys of life.

I don't know anyone in the Sambo world, but I do know it is a comprehensive Martial Art effective at all ranges of fighting. The training is considered to be among the toughest of the fighting styles from what I can ascertain from the YouTube videos I have watched. Wrestling was always a great workout, but man did I suck at times.
Have you considered running stairs and hills? Both of those were incorporated into my workouts back in the day. Now I have to take it easy walking my poodle up stairs because of my knees—the joys of life.
I've done stairs, hills, rucking, but most of it I just do through the summer while it's nice out. I'd like to do more sled pushes and pulls as well but weather and having free time makes all the difference. One of the major reasons behind all of my questions is because I'm trying to blend everything in and minimalize it down as much as possible to free up time. I'm also getting older now too so the least amount of impact on the knees the better but I probably will do some more running when the weather's nice.

Also sorry I thought it was you that trained Sambo that's why I brought it up but maybe it was someone else.

I have a new structure now but originally I was doing like 10x 3 minute rounds of heavy bag/footwork/ defensive drills thinking it's not quite hiit but it's too intense to be steady state. I think this works perfectly to activate aerobic and anarobic fuel systems. I just never read much on the mechanisms and didn't realize they could be done together. Most studys classify aerobic work as 30 minutes of zone 2 where one can speak correctly or nose breat. Hiit, sprints sled pulls etc are anerobic but what I didn't know is can being at least in a steady state at zone 2 or higher still allow you to generate enough ATP to do short powerful bursts of intensity. For anyone interested the best elite boxers are thought to have around a 70%-30% anarobic to aerobic capacity ratio. So definitely both are important but running an hour every morning might not be desperately needed. I guess I was also off because I took the classic definition of hiit as strictly 30 seconds or less of work to 1 or 2 minutes recovery.

It seems like "having good cardio" in boxing or other combat sports would be a good example of how the energy systems overlap each other in the way I mentioned previously. The ability to recover the systems used in generating "power" while still under aerobic stress has an obvious importance with speed being the most important part in the power formula as it pertains to hitting hard ( Kinetic Energy - KE = (1/2)mv2 ). If you can't generate speed you aren't going to be hitting very hard.

I may be talking out my ass on this next part but it's my best guess.
There are some fighters who seem to be keenly aware of this as shown in their style or strategic plans. They stay super loose and throw fast but not heavy especially early on in the bout. By not heavy I mean they don't put a lot of weight into each punch, mass is a lesser component in the power equation. Nate and Nick Diaz come to mind, saw that talked about on a Rogan podcast recently. They pepper and overwhelm with slaps and taps while not digging too deep into their anaerobic reserves so they can use them once their opponent is tired.

I just posted in the main forum about energy metabolism, might be of interest to you.

Cheers bud.

It seems like "having good cardio" in boxing or other combat sports would be a good example of how the energy systems overlap each other in the way I mentioned previously. The ability to recover the systems used in generating "power" while still under aerobic stress has an obvious importance with speed being the most important part in the power formula as it pertains to hitting hard ( Kinetic Energy - KE = (1/2)mv2 ). If you can't generate speed you aren't going to be hitting very hard.

There are some fighters who seem to be keenly aware of this as shown in their style or strategic plans. They stay super loose and throw fast but not heavy especially early on in the bout. By not heavy I mean they don't put a lot of weight into each punch, mass is a lesser component in the power equation. Nate and Nick Diaz come to mind, saw that talked about on a Rogan podcast recently. They pepper and overwhelm with slaps and taps while not digging too deep into their anaerobic reserves so they can use them once their opponent is tired.

I just posted in the main forum about energy metabolism, might be of interest to you.

Cheers bud.
Yea your definitly right. You have the odd exception like mike tyson who put power and intention in every punch but not many others. A little of your main topic but an interesting point out of that combat sport book says that the top most elite boxers had exceptional leg ad grip power or strength. The legs make sense because of loading then for Punches but the grip is surprising to me anyway. You would think shoulders or core or chest and triceps

Cheers bud.
Makes sense, Duran's fights usually went past 10 rounds yet he could apparently KO a horse with one punch