Why do bodybuilders die early when using steroids? by Akshay Chopra

Taureau

Administrator
Why do bodybuilders die early when using steroids?

Back in the 80s and 90s, Austrian-born pro bodybuilder Andreas Munzer, was a quite a rage, for his ultra-shredded physique, and paper-thin skin texture.
On March 12, 1996, Munzer complained of severe stomach pain, and was admitted to the hospital. He was bleeding from the stomach and was right away set for surgery. His liver & kidney had already failed.
main-qimg-f547b0caa25437de4ade5e8796c8a84d

However, the doctors couldn’t save him. On the morning of March 14, 1996, he died, with the official autopsy giving the cause of death as dystrophic multiple organ failure. He was just 31.
However, the actual reports of his autopsy shocked the bodybuilding world, and showed the real dangers which plagued the sport. The reports showed that Munzer had numerous table-tennis-ball-size tumours in the liver and a heart that had grown to weigh an abnormal 636 grams, well above the typical 300 grams.
His liver weighed 2.9 kilograms, almost a kilo heavier than a normal male’s liver weighing in at 2 kilograms. The Bile ducts in the liver had stopped functioning.
His kidneys were swollen to huge size, and the testes were virtually shrivelled. His electrolytes were also out of balance, and his potassium levels were extremely high. Traces of about 20 different drugs were found, along with acute toxicity (perhaps caused by a stimulant).
He is not alone. There is a list of top pro bodybuilders who had an untimely and tragic end:

Mike Matarazzo (died at age 48) – had an open heart surgery in 2004, followed by an heart attack 3 years later in 2007. Finally, He died on August 16, 2014, in a hospital while waiting for a heart transplant.

Dallas McCarver (died at age 26) – On August 22, 2017, Dallas was found on the floor at home with food scattered around him. He was pronounced dead at 1:03 am. Enlarged liver and kidneys, nephrosclerosis (a hardened kidney), heavy lungs, and a papillary thyroid carcinoma were noted in autopsy.

Nasser El Sonbaty (died at age 47) – in sleep due to kidney & heart failure.

Greg Kovacs (died at age 44) – due to heart failure.

Mohammed Benaziza (died at age 33) – was found dead in his hotel room on October 4, 1992, shortly after that competition. He died of heart failure caused by excessive consumption of diuretic products.

Rich Piana (died at age 46) – in 2017, Rich suffered a heart attack, fell to the ground and hit his head. With the lack of oxygen going to his brain, the doctors put Rich on a medically induced coma. But in a week, his breathing started to deteriorate and he was put back on the ventilator, until he passed away. Rich Piana’s autopsy revealed, an enlarged heart (and “significant heart disease”), fatty liver, congested thyroid, discolored kidneys etc.
Acc. to a study, in 2021 alone, over two dozen professional competitive bodybuilders died suddenly, along with a number of retired bodybuilders under the age of 60 years.

The use of anabolic-androgenic steroids in bodybuilding is an open story. Though, use of anabolics is quite prevalent in other sports too. But, when combined with a lack of drug testing, it becomes a recipe of disaster, which fosters uncontrolled use of various cocktails/combinations of performance enhancing drugs, hormones, diuretics and various other substances.

The premier governing body for competitive bodybuilding, the IFBB, has policies regarding drug testing which conform to the World Anti-Doping Association (WADA) Code. But this is nothing more than a joke.

Different studies have given different percentages in terms of steroid usage in bodybuilders, ranging from 20-60% or more. But with over 2 decades of experience in the field of sports, and competitive bodybuilding, let me give you the exact percentage. It is 100%. Yes, every single bodybuilder competing on a conventional bodybuilding stage, is under the influence of different dosages of anabolic steroids, which can range of little to supraphysiological amounts.
If we observe closely, most of these deaths, including earlier ones, are cardiovascular in nature. Several studies have demonstrated that AAS unfavorably influences known cardiovascular disease risk factors, and have demonstrated to markedly reduce high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, increase low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and increase homocysteine in bodybuilders.

Acc. to a study, the use of anabolic steroids for medical indications is relatively safe, but when used illicitly they can damage health and cause disorders affecting several functions (cardiovascular, reproductive, musculoskeletal, endocrine, renal, immunologic, and neuropsychiatric. These side effects include cardiac injuries such as fibrosis, cardiac hypertrophy, and dilated cardiomyopathy with an increased risk for myocardial infarction, arrhythmias, and sudden cardiac death.

Back in the 80s and 90s, Austrian-born pro bodybuilder Andreas Munzer, was a quite a rage, for his ultra-shredded physique, and paper-thin skin texture.
On March 12, 1996, Munzer complained of severe stomach pain, and was admitted to the hospital. He was bleeding from the stomach and was right away set for surgery. His liver & kidney had already failed.

However, the doctors couldn’t save him. On the morning of March 14, 1996, he died, with the official autopsy giving the cause of death as dystrophic multiple organ failure. He was just 31.
However, the actual reports of his autopsy shocked the bodybuilding world, and showed the real dangers which plagued the sport. The reports showed that Munzer had numerous table-tennis-ball-size tumours in the liver and a heart that had grown to weigh an abnormal 636 grams, well above the typical 300 grams.
His liver weighed 2.9 kilograms, almost a kilo heavier than a normal male’s liver weighing in at 2 kilograms. The Bile ducts in the liver had stopped functioning.
His kidneys were swollen to huge size, and the testes were virtually shrivelled. His electrolytes were also out of balance, and his potassium levels were extremely high. Traces of about 20 different drugs were found, along with acute toxicity (perhaps caused by a stimulant).
He is not alone. There is a list of top pro bodybuilders who had an untimely and tragic end:

Mike Matarazzo (died at age 48) – had an open heart surgery in 2004, followed by an heart attack 3 years later in 2007. Finally, He died on August 16, 2014, in a hospital while waiting for a heart transplant.

Dallas McCarver (died at age 26) – On August 22, 2017, Dallas was found on the floor at home with food scattered around him. He was pronounced dead at 1:03 am. Enlarged liver and kidneys, nephrosclerosis (a hardened kidney), heavy lungs, and a papillary thyroid carcinoma were noted in autopsy.

Mohammed Benaziza (died at age 33) – was found dead in his hotel room on October 4, 1992, shortly after that competition. He died of heart failure caused by excessive consumption of diuretic products.

Rich Piana (died at age 46) – in 2017, Rich suffered a heart attack, fell to the ground and hit his head. With the lack of oxygen going to his brain, the doctors put Rich on a medically induced coma. But in a week, his breathing started to deteriorate and he was put back on the ventilator, until he passed away. Rich Piana’s autopsy revealed, an enlarged heart (and “significant heart disease”), fatty liver, congested thyroid, discolored kidneys etc.
Acc. to a study, in 2021 alone, over two dozen professional competitive bodybuilders died suddenly, along with a number of retired bodybuilders under the age of 60 years.

The use of anabolic-androgenic steroids in bodybuilding is an open story. Though, use of anabolics is quite prevalent in other sports too. But, when combined with a lack of drug testing, it becomes a recipe of disaster, which fosters uncontrolled use of various cocktails/combinations of performance enhancing drugs, hormones, diuretics and various other substances.

The premier governing body for competitive bodybuilding, the IFBB, has policies regarding drug testing which conform to the World Anti-Doping Association (WADA) Code. But this is nothing more than a joke.

Different studies have given different percentages in terms of steroid usage in bodybuilders, ranging from 20-60% or more. But with over 2 decades of experience in the field of sports, and competitive bodybuilding, let me give you the exact percentage. It is 100%. Yes, every single bodybuilder competing on a conventional bodybuilding stage, is under the influence of different dosages of anabolic steroids, which can range of little to supraphysiological amounts.
If we observe closely, most of these deaths, including earlier ones, are cardiovascular in nature. Several studies have demonstrated that AAS unfavorably influences known cardiovascular disease risk factors, and have demonstrated to markedly reduce high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, increase low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and increase homocysteine in bodybuilders.

Acc. to a study, the use of anabolic steroids for medical indications is relatively safe, but when used illicitly they can damage health and cause disorders affecting several functions (cardiovascular, reproductive, musculoskeletal, endocrine, renal, immunologic, and neuropsychiatric. These side effects include cardiac injuries such as fibrosis, cardiac hypertrophy, and dilated cardiomyopathy with an increased risk for myocardial infarction, arrhythmias, and sudden cardiac death.
This is a great article bull.

We have a strong confirmation bias towards several health problems and issues that we tend to blame whatever else and sugarcoat the reality.

Bodybuilding is an addiction I have no doubt, bodybuilding is glory!!!

Is the jury back on cholesterol being a major cause? I'd thought that a lot of this view point is still misunderstood. We have meds for it that don't seem to save lives, it's not technically plaque and more signs pointing to inflammation leading to atherosclerosis. Definitely the blood pressure associated with gear is a culprit. I also heard somewhere that kidney damage leading to high potassium levels can cause heart attack. Great article man, it's a tragic reminder of the risks we take

Great article, I’ve significantly reduced my dose at my age. I have nobody to impress but myself my doses aren’t much higher than a TRT dose when I cycle. I’m at the age now where health and longevity are more important than vanity now for me. SaltyDawg

We can add more names. I wonder did these people not have symptoms and see a doctor? I find it hard to fathom there were no symptoms. I suspect we all realize you hammer high doses of multiple cocktails and you may not feel the best but I 'assume' this is more than not feeling the best. No one will know how many compounds some of these guys were taking and what doses - competitors and the average gym goer can tell the public what they want but the reality is no one knows but them and potentially their coach if following a protocol.

I also wonder, knowing you are taking compounds that have serious side effects and I am sure many of these people were intelligent, were they trying to mitigate the damage? I ask because I watched a video of a coach to the stars who pushed recovery measures after a blast and not during. Some coaches give you a long list of supplements and foods to eat to help mitigate the damage during the blast. It would seem when you are taking the compounds, would be the best time to protect yourself. Call me a hippie and I don't disagree with a lot of products being snake oil, but there are good products available on the shelves and are used in the medical community. There are medications available if you are being honest a doctor who has agreed to monitor and help you.
It's all conjecture on my part as I didn't know these people personally and even if I did, there is no way to know if what you are being told is accurate.

With these extreme examples, I bet they felt like such shit normally, they likely didn't notice that one extra bad feeling.
Like how in the fuck can anyone run 10iu of gh and feel good? Take high doses of insulin and feel good? Or even run the oral steriods they do and feel good.

When I first started I ignored the sides, figured that was part of it, now I listen to my body. If it doesn't feel right, well I don't do that anymore.

Comparing us to the extreme bodybuilder is comparing apples to oranges. Also, when an article is rife with “studies have shown” in a sport that no one does studies on makes my eyes glaze over and focus starts to shift towards pussy.

Im sure if I eat one big mac a day I’ll still live to a ripe old age but someone eating 10 a day is going to run into health issues and possibly an early death.

Part of the reason to join a great board like this one and get health insights from from experienced and knowledgeable members. Most bodybuilders and enthusiasts like myself find themselves realizing pretty quickly that yes the side effects are very real and caution must be taken if you value your health. Only you can decide for yourself where you would like to be on the risk vs reward scale. Personally ive found myself being happy with mild to moderate use of peds and my list of acceptable compounds continues to shrink.

The thing I find is, we don't know anything about these people. I do know for a fact, the first gym I trained in you could do rails while you benched.

A millions factors out there, as well any chance "They" got to demonize Steroids "They" would. So there is that.....

I also barely used any orals, trusted labs, eat clean, lift smart...don't do hard drugs or any booze no simple sugars and ZERO cooking oils....

I would say the cutting for a show would be harder on a lot of peoples bodies, then the getting to the point where you are ready to go in a show....

:)

Comparing us to the extreme bodybuilder is comparing apples to oranges. Also, when an article is rife with “studies have shown” in a sport that no one does studies on makes my eyes glaze over and focus starts to shift towards pussy.

Im sure if I eat one big mac a day I’ll still live to a ripe old age but someone eating 10 a day is going to run into health issues and possibly an early death.
Whoppers are better.

In everyone's day to day life though, how many people that you know who blast actually died directly as a result of doing PEDs?

I have not heard of anyone who got sick during their time cycling or died from it, i have a family members and older acquaintances who we're doing gear way back then albeit of way lesser amounts than what we do now.

Even now, my friends who are in their 40's who still blast and have no cardiovascular issues including myself, which I hope would still be the case as we grow older. But then again, we stick to the basic compounds and don't even touch hgh or peptides, barely do orals and tren.

But when I compare it to people I know who are fat and do not have active lifestyles, then the number of guys who had heart attacks, kidney diseases and diabetes exponentially shot up.

I know it's different for everyone but just for shit and giggles, write down all the people you know who have cardiovascular diseases and see how many of them trace it back to PEDs, you will be surprised on how low the number is.

I think gear can lead to cardiovascular issues if done irresponsibly but an issue is a lot of people could have underlying heart problems and high blood pressure etc even excessive exercise could exacerbate it. What I've noticed is when everything goes perfect your usually good to go but the reality of life is that things don't go perfect. You may have less ime because of work and slack on cardio or your diet is slightly poor or money's tight so you slack on fish oil..... but over a long time and when multiplied by other factors things can go sideways quick. If your not careful you'll end up a 300lb diabetic with high blood pressure high cholesterol And enlarged heart and 8 different medications that all counter act with the gear your taking.

The thing I find is, we don't know anything about these people. I do know for a fact, the first gym I trained in you could do rails while you benched.

A millions factors out there, as well any chance "They" got to demonize Steroids "They" would. So there is that.....

I also barely used any orals, trusted labs, eat clean, lift smart...don't do hard drugs or any booze no simple sugars and ZERO cooking oils....

I would say the cutting for a show would be harder on a lot of peoples bodies, then the getting to the point where you are ready to go in a show....

:)
What's the issue with cooking oils? Thought those were the healthy fats