What kind of cholesterol medication works best with least amount of side effects?

Bigbear

The Kodiak
Trusted Member
My cholesterol is getting pretty high. I hate to have to ask for medication but nothing I'm doing seems to help. I'm doing cardio 3 days a week acting tons of fruit, chicken turkey and fish 2 times a days. What kind of medication do people suggest?

I'm so tired of this fucking bullshit I aim to lower blood sugar and cholesterol spikes then I work on that and something else goes outta whack.

2 things I have tried were red yeast rice and omega 3 fish oil. Red yeast rice lowered my bad cholesterol and fish oil increased my good cholesterol (verified with BW) My doc realized at 27 I had a naturally higher level of bad cholesterol but he was more concerned with my ratio(which the fish oil accomplishes this) and my blood pressure. I stopped the red yeast rice cuz it made my urine stinky 🤮

2 things I have tried were red yeast rice and omega 3 fish oil. Red yeast rice lowered my bad cholesterol and fish oil increased my good cholesterol (verified with BW) My doc realized at 27 I had a naturally higher level of bad cholesterol but he was more concerned with my ratio(which the fish oil accomplishes this) and my blood pressure. I stopped the red yeast rice cuz it made my urine stinky 🤮
Thanks I'll try the red yeast. Fish oil helped a lot but only triglycerides it doesn't effect my ldl

Fenofibrate may be worth a look. I personally will not take a statin due to sides.
And maybe do a little research on the current state of Red Yeast Rice, the component that does the work is called Monacolin K. This is the same thing (identical?) as the statin drug Lovastatin. Confusing the issue even more and not clear in my head MK may have been relatively recently mandated to be removed from RYR products, at least in the US. I recall getting a headache while trying to get to the bottom of this. :(

Ultimately decided not to take it - it either contains this active ingredient which I do not want or doesn't contain any or enough to be effective anyways.
Pretty tricky subject to navigate anyways, lots of different views about cholesterol - Is it the ratio that's important? The shape/type? Actual importance to CV health?

Good luck bud

Fenofibrate may be worth a look. I personally will not take a statin due to sides.
And maybe do a little research on the current state of Red Yeast Rice, the component that does the work is called Monacolin K. This is the same thing (identical?) as the statin drug Lovastatin. Confusing the issue even more and not clear in my head MK may have been relatively recently mandated to be removed from RYR products, at least in the US. I recall getting a headache while trying to get to the bottom of this. :(

Ultimately decided not to take it - it either contains this active ingredient which I do not want or doesn't contain any or enough to be effective anyways.
Pretty tricky subject to navigate anyways, lots of different views about cholesterol - Is it the ratio that's important? The shape/type? Actual importance to CV health?

Good luck bud
I watched a podcast with Joe Rogan and a high level cardiologist and he believes that high cholestrol giving heart duease is way overstated. He has dat a and studies to back this up. I guess statins were a money maker, so prescribe you everyone.

If someone has a heat attack though they will prolong life, but not stastical difference if one taking a statin and one not in disease progression pre heartattack. Btw the cholestrol lowering ability is not what prolongs lifespan in post heart attack people, it’s another mechanism brought on by the use of statins.

What does your doctor say? How high are the numbers?

I ask since I'm at the limit too, a few points just under. My doctor isn't worried and just advices me to eat better, basically saying I need to lose bodyfat.

What does your doctor say? How high are the numbers?

I ask since I'm at the limit too, a few points just under. My doctor isn't worried and just advices me to eat better, basically saying I need to lose bodyfat.
Haven't spoke to my doc yet. My ldl is 3.90 hdl is 1.30 and tryglycerides 1 I think.

No I don't drink smoke or take orals. I think it's genetic
I'm not sure which medications would help but krill oil (phospholipid form) supposedly is 40% more bioavailable normal fish oil in triglyceride form, might be worth giving it a shot.

Shitty thing is I've picked up more cardio and less fats but my levels just got higher

I watched a podcast with Joe Rogan and a high level cardiologist and he believes that high cholestrol giving heart duease is way overstated. He has dat a and studies to back this up. I guess statins were a money maker, so prescribe you everyone.

If someone has a heat attack though they will prolong life, but not stastical difference if one taking a statin and one not in disease progression pre heartattack. Btw the cholestrol lowering ability is not what prolongs lifespan in post heart attack people, it’s another mechanism brought on by the use of statins.
@Jerbear This is the episode.
What is considered high? Who chose this range? Has the range changed over the years? Is there actual concerns with these numbers?

I'm not overly familiar with statins but the ones I commonly hear of bodybuilders using are fluvastatin & Lipitor (that's the brand name I believe, I'm not sure what the actual drug name is).

Out of curiosity, you say you're eating fish twice daily, are these omega 3 rich fish? How much total fats are you consuming daily? Anecdotally, my lipids have always came back better on a moderate-high fat diet (80-100g daily) compared to a lower fat diet (~60g daily). My preferred fat sources are wild salmon, olive oil and mixed nuts. With the additional omega 3s via supplementation. Just some food for thought, no pun intended

I'm not overly familiar with statins but the ones I commonly hear of bodybuilders using are fluvastatin & Lipitor (that's the brand name I believe, I'm not sure what the actual drug name is).

Out of curiosity, you say you're eating fish twice daily, are these omega 3 rich fish? How much total fats are you consuming daily? Anecdotally, my lipids have always came back better on a moderate-high fat diet (80-100g daily) compared to a lower fat diet (~60g daily). My preferred fat sources are wild salmon, olive oil and mixed nuts. With the additional omega 3s via supplementation. Just some food for thought, no pun intended
Yea I make sure to get wild caught and only red meat I eat is one steak and 1 lb of extra lean ground beef. All dairy is low to 0% fat

@Sorbate @KetoMuscles Excellent JRE, I forgot about it even though it was just over a week ago (doh) or I would have mentioned it in my first post.

Might as well tell @Jerbear about the sides I mentioned that keep me away from the statins and got me onto fenofibrate which I'm sure is not side free either. I'm considering dropping it actually, I think of that occasionally but this thread and that podcast might push me over the edge.

I was prescribed Crestor around 15 years ago, given the rundown about sides, part of it was "watch for muscle aches". Seeing as I always have them from lifting I questioned for more detail - "yes, just like from lifting, commonly in the legs, don't worry though you will know if it happens".

Some time not too long later it hit me, not at all like from lifting. More like from a car crash or being beaten into a prison gang. Sudden and intense over my entire body, thought it was some crazy flu or something. Weak as fuck and severely limiting movement. Had no idea it was the crestor so I kept taking it on schedule. After about 2 weeks in bed and my piss turning tea colored, the woman made me go to emerg.

Diagnosed with severe Rhabdomyolysis, consultations about dialysis, compartment syndrome etc, took a good six months to approach feeling normal. Fortunate to avoid completely wrecking my kidneys, heart and calves but took some damage.

Just one man's experience, once again nothing comes without a cost.

Cholesterol is a funny thing and you can google for 100days and still end up not sure what to think..

I've learned to focus on blood sugar and blood pressure.. I don't think cholesterol is such a priority compared to those 2 things.. If you get blood sugar and pressure under control, I think I'll be fine..

What's more important than looking at your "bad cholestrol" is making sure you hgave a good ratio of good to bad cholesterol and tryglycerides..

My wife has higher bad cholestrerol, but her doctor told her good cholesterol is super high an therefore she's good.. She was on a keto diet as well so doctor said that explains things..

I had high bad cholesterol a few years ago, put on a 5mg statin.. It helped, but man I saw about 10 doctors over the last 5 years and they all had different opinions about statins, cholesrteraol etc.. Not one of their opinions lined up with another..

I think 85-90% of the cholesreraol in your blood is made by your body.. the rest is diet.. So reducing your intake of bad cholesterol really doesn't do much.. but increasing the good cholesrerol in your diet makes a huge difference

I'm not taking my 5mg statin anymore by the way.. and the last few rounds of blood work were fine.. The same doctor who told me "Just take the statin.." looked at blood work I did on the tatin and blood work I did after stopping the statin.. He didn't know any difference since I never told him I stopped.. and he said blood work was great. He assumed I Was on the statin for both.. so go figure..

I tihnk it would be worthwhile posting your actual numbers on here.. If you have super high bad choleterol consider it, but if its not super hiugh than just fous on good cholesterol, blood suagr and blood pressure.

@Sorbate @KetoMuscles Excellent JRE, I forgot about it even though it was just over a week ago (doh) or I would have mentioned it in my first post.

Might as well tell @Jerbear about the sides I mentioned that keep me away from the statins and got me onto fenofibrate which I'm sure is not side free either. I'm considering dropping it actually, I think of that occasionally but this thread and that podcast might push me over the edge.

I was prescribed Crestor around 15 years ago, given the rundown about sides, part of it was "watch for muscle aches". Seeing as I always have them from lifting I questioned for more detail - "yes, just like from lifting, commonly in the legs, don't worry though you will know if it happens".

Some time not too long later it hit me, not at all like from lifting. More like from a car crash or being beaten into a prison gang. Sudden and intense over my entire body, thought it was some crazy flu or something. Weak as fuck and severely limiting movement. Had no idea it was the crestor so I kept taking it on schedule. After about 2 weeks in bed and my piss turning tea colored, the woman made me go to emerg.

Diagnosed with severe Rhabdomyolysis, consultations about dialysis, compartment syndrome etc, took a good six months to approach feeling normal. Fortunate to avoid completely wrecking my kidneys, heart and calves but took some damage.

Just one man's experience, once again nothing comes without a cost.
Co enzyme q 10 is very important to take when running statins.
My wife’s mother would get global amnesia. She would clean the house and not remember it. Go bowling and not remember it.
Her doctor told her to ignore it, I recommended she stopped taking it.

Anyhow it freaked her out and she stopped. They put her on a statin at 85. Her cholestrol was only slightly elevated. I wonder if they get a kick back of some sort.