Substance abuse

Canadiandodo1

Trusted Member
I’ve been looking around at posts in different threads and I’ve seen some of you jumped to body building to kick a habit or substance abuse. What’s your story?

I grew up not knowing I had adhd and anxiety. I self medicated from 12 ish to 30ish. Hard chemicals meth mainly oxycotton etc, dropped put of school at 14 actually got expelled first time in jail was 14 for robbery and few other things. In and out of jail my entire life until had too much at 30 or so. Almost got over 10 years on my last bit scared me senseless but also seen a lot of death, friends really close loved ones so went to rehab and been clean since. 6 years clean now, graduated high-school in jail and got 27 credits went to college got married and so on. Born again Christian now most don't like but it's worked for me. Obviously got rid of my toxic behaviors but was always a scrapper so once sober I hit the weights hard and also trained mma off and on.

It's not really my main reason for training but If I'm not actively training I'll always seek another escape or coping mechanism, alcohol, drugs, cigarettes etc.

Lifting keeps me from drinking as much.
I used to have a pretty bad drinking problem. Even moved from Edmonton to Kelowna to get away from friends and such, but you always take yourself when you go.
I think they day I knew I had a bit of a problem was when I said to my wife, “these losers are always at the bar”, well how did I know there were always there?
Never got into other drugs. I saw what it did to others and always thought, “you never miss what you didn’t do”

Like I wish I never started smoking.

Im not sure if we are suppose to talk about rec drugs on here. I was drinking pretty much daily, spending as much money as I made on drugs. Still kept a steady job while sleeping 3-4 hrs a night. Decided something had to change or I would be in an early grave. Bought a squat rack off kijji for 200 bucks and quit the hard stuff and drinking cold turkey. I did use Marijuana and lifting weights to deflect my addiction.

Im not sure if we are suppose to talk about rec drugs on here. I was drinking pretty much daily, spending as much money as I made on drugs. Still kept a steady job while sleeping 3-4 hrs a night. Decided something had to change or I would be in an early grave. Bought a squat rack off kijji for 200 bucks and quit the hard stuff and drinking cold turkey. I did use Marijuana and lifting weights to deflect my addiction.
Nice grab, 2 bills for a squat rack you lucked out lol

I ask to see if there’s anyone else out there that uses the gym to keep them out of trouble and keep habits at bay. I’m nursing an injury right now and the weight of drinking is weighing very heavily. Much like yourself I have the ADD. With depression. Which lead me to be medicated with amphetamines since I was 5. Which I mixed with booze at the age of 23 till I was 28. Turned me into a lunatic. Needed the meds to work, needed the booze to sleep. 24 beers a day, 4-3 hours of sleep. Then work 14 hour days.

It’s cost me my life and that’s not an exaggeration.

I never drank up till my 20’s because I had the gym to fall on. Now my outlet is gone again.
Yea I go crazy when I can't workout. I'm scared as fuck of getting am injury but I would still try cardio or anything physical. I hope you find your way man that booze is really dangerous stuff too. One of the only 2 things you can actually die from withdrawing for

I also have a sponsor for n.a. and a.a. went to meetings every week until covid hit. Haven't been in years now but church and inner self honesty are my keys. Spirituality, give your life a purpose.

Whats your injury @Canadiandodo1 ?
C7, C4,C5 is out. Which isn’t too bad if my hand didn’t go numb and wakes me up every 45 mins when I sleep. Hip, knee, ankle , shoulder, elbow and wrist are all out as well all on the right side of my body. I should be able to get it fixed in town. But all of them like to run the insurance for everything it’s worth. Cost me $3500 last time and they didn’t even fix my problem. Cost me $100 in the states and fixed everything.

C7, C4,C5 is out. Which isn’t too bad if my hand didn’t go numb and wakes me up every 45 mins when I sleep. Hip, knee, ankle , shoulder, elbow and wrist are all out as well all on the right side of my body. I should be able to get it fixed in town. But all of them like to run the insurance for everything it’s worth. Cost me $3500 last time and they didn’t even fix my problem. Cost me $100 in the states and fixed everything.
Brutal man, was it a car accident or something?

Brutal man, was it a car accident or something?
Work place incident. Insurance hasn’t kicked in and I’ve been sitting around for three weeks and still have another two more to go. Just finished a solid cycle too. But yeah, just seeing if anyone else uses the gym as a safety net.

I smoke weed! I haven't drank in years and I never drank on cycle when I did drink.
I started smoking on a regular basis to dull my back and hip pain from an injury that changed me physically and mentally! I've spoke about it in previous post.
I've had back trouble for the last 27 years and every time the docs would push pills.
The last time I started having trouble, once again they pushed pills, I refused and things became so bad for me I turned to weed.
The gym for me today is much different than it was when I first started, in the sense that it's for different reasons.
I lost my drive and motivation when my mother passed away 8 years ago, I stopped working out to deal with things is what I told myself. I stopped cycling, a month later I lost my doctor that was prescribing me androgel. So I stopped everything. I stopped caring about everything and went dark in my thoughts.
I dropped a cycle that was obscenely high that consisted mainly of Sust450 and tren e Mast e
I never even attempted to run a pct. I just wanted to step into traffic and didn't give a damn what was going to happen to me.
Weed calmed me down and I rode this out for about 5 year before my mind snapped. Nothing would settle me after that happened. So after my little time away and some meds I was clear enough mentally to start pursuing trt again.
It took some time but I've gotten myself turned around and focusing on fixing my physical and mental health, I still smoke for now!
I am getting a lot more pleasure from my workouts over smoking dope. I have a highly addictive personality so I tend to replace one addiction for another.
There's a lot stuff I've left out so hopefully the way ive worded things makes sense

Congrats on the willpower to kick it so quickly and turn your life around! Good on ya.