Pets.....and that awful decision

Boomer

Trusted Member
How many on here have pets or multiple pets? We have 3 chihuahuas and 2 cats.... we had 2 pugs.... had to put one down in September , but we could see her failing... not as bad with sending her off.... (13 years old)
Last week, our other pug (also 13) went from normal to wtf overnight.... 3 vet visits ( and $1100 later) we learn he has stage 3 renal failure.... so Saturday morning we made the hard decision to send him on his journey...... this was a rough one, especially on the wife, her first dog....
I know it's always the right thing to do.... it's our responsibility as owners.... just wondering how many of you have had to do this and if not, are you prepared for it?

Attachments

• TONKA.jpg
    TONKA.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 6
My condolences. Losing such loyal, loving and trusted friends must be incredibly difficult. I've had to put down my cats when their bodies have failed them. That wasn't easy. I have persoanlly also had to put down barn cats that have been severely injured rather than see them suffer horribly for another minute. I despise having to do that, it leaves a sick feeling in my guts for 3 or 4 days.

I currently have two dogs that are the best friends I've ever had and they have been there with me through some difficult times. My hope is that they will live to 12 - 13 years, which is a few years off, but I don't know if I will ever be prepared for it. The loss with be all consuming for some time, prepared or not.

My most sincere condolences. It's a terrible experience I have lived through with three dogs and two cats. Each just floored me.
I currently have three poodles, grandma, daughter and granddaughter. Grandma is not doing well at 13 years old as she has diabetes ,is blind and arthritic. I'm hoping she makes it through this winter and gets to have another spring and summer but she is fading. Wife and I are monitoring her pain level and if we feel she is in too much pain we will make the decision. As PdH stated the loss will be brutal, prepared or not.

Very sorry to hear about your losses. I am a pug FREAK. I have pug calendar, pug pillow and lots of pics of pugs on my phone. I GOTTA take their pics when I see em! Their sad/worried look is just so cute!

Never had a dog of my own, one day...

Very sorry to hear about your losses. I am a pug FREAK. I have pug calendar, pug pillow and lots of pics of pugs on my phone. I GOTTA take their pics when I see em! Their sad/worried look is just so cute!

Never had a dog of my own, one day...

This was the best dog ever, listened, affectionate, not-an-asshole ( unlike chihuahuas which are tiny cute demons lol), gentlest soul nI've ever met

Get a pug bud, you can't go wrong for personality.... word of advice, pay the $$$ and get one from a recognized breeder.... pugs are known to have breathing issues if you let them get fat, Tonka never had one malady common to pugs.... because the wife spent the $$$$ initially.... aside from bi-yearly check ups, that was his only trip to the vet

This was the best dog ever, listened, affectionate, not-an-asshole ( unlike chihuahuas which are tiny cute demons lol), gentlest soul nI've ever met

Get a pug bud, you can't go wrong for personality.... word of advice, pay the $$$ and get one from a recognized breeder.... pugs are known to have breathing issues if you let them get fat, Tonka never had one malady common to pugs.... because the wife spent the $$$$ initially.... aside from bi-yearly check ups, that was his only trip to the vet

Sadly, in MTL, it's really hard to find places that allow dogs. I live elevated and having a dog means living on the first floor which is not what I like. But one day, I will have that back yard and for sure I will get a pug. It's hard not to overfeed em. They're so cute when they want food! I'd cook em a portion of whatever I'm eating, that pug would be super happy!

My first St Bernard got real bad epilepsy to the point of siezing multiple times a day. We took him to the vet so often. I felt terrible for him and thought should have put him down but vet said no need, he wasnt in pain. It went on for a year and i could see it draining him. On mothers day he was having cluster siezures and the last one killed him. I think i should have put him down before it got that bad.
Now i have a cat who is 22+ yrs old and i can see her deteriorating. Gone deaf. Acting weird as hell, but still eats good, drinks lots water and climbs the stairs every day. Ive had her forvever. Not sure if i can bring myself to do it when the time comes.

Holy 22 years wish my cat lived that long.

My cats was 18 and the other was was 17 years old.

Sorry boomer that you had to put down your dogs. It was very hard on me.

I have 1 dog and 1 cat, and after there gone no more pets to hard to see them go.

So sorry. I love dogs... my boxer is my best friend

It is such a hard thing, you don’t want to see them suffer but u don’t want to make a mistake and make the decision too soon. Each time I tell myself “next time I will do it differently.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear the loss of your friends man.
Had something similar happened to us last May, had to put down my 8 y/o boxer, months before he left us, we learned that the tiny little bump he had on his body was carcinoma, too many to get them removed so we knew someday he would lost his battle.
He did great during 6-7 month, one lump slowly grow to a golf ball size, but one friday when we woke up his lump doubled in size..
Same thing happens the next day also. Couldn't get a vet to do the job before monday afternoon, that damn things got to an orange size lump in 2 days, we knew it was the end.

This boy gave us so many great moments, still miss him alot. :cry:

RIP Little boy

HPIM0969.JPG

I have had to put down a few of my pet cats in my life time and its god awful. It never gets easier. Luckily they all lived lengthy lives and didn't suffer to much leading to there passing. I really wish they would give us bereavement time at work for pets.

Meh fuck.... awful boomer. Sorry to hear but the right decision.

It’s fucked up though. When I put my lab down it was one hard day.

There were many bad parts to that day. First having to schedule it. I understand why... but it seemed fucked up. Also I took him out and we did a bunch of stuff, he got to eat a bunch of things he wasn’t allowed to eat.... just a good last day..... and then went and killed him.

Even now I struggle with that.... questioning was that the right thing. Not putting him down. That had to happen I know but just the lead up.

Facking terrible day. They are family.

Had something similar happened to us last May, had to put down my 8 y/o boxer, months before he left us, we learned that the tiny little bump he had on his body was carcinoma, too many to get them removed so we knew someday he would lost his battle.
He did great during 6-7 month, one lump slowly grow to a golf ball size, but one friday when we woke up his lump doubled in size..
Same thing happens the next day also. Couldn't get a vet to do the job before monday afternoon, that damn things got to an orange size lump in 2 days, we knew it was the end.

RIP Little boy

View attachment 752

Beautiful dog.

It’s the hardest thing to do but not doing it is selfish because then it’s about you any not the animal. I sobbed uncontrollably both times I had to put my dogs down and what makes it harder is even when their really sick their tales are still wagging and they’re happy to see you.

I have had many pets over the years -- 3 horses and I can't remember how many cats. One horse had to be put down because he had bad shoulder arthritis, another died of colics when he was 23. My favourite cat ever, Foxy, died of renal failure when he was 7. Every time I lost a pet I cried for weeks. They are family members after all. If anything happened to Pooh I would be devastated. He is my world (I rescued him 4 years ago after he had spent a whole year at the shelter).IMG_0148.JPG

Meh fuck.... awful boomer. Sorry to hear but the right decision.

It’s fucked up though. When I put my lab down it was one hard day.

There were many bad parts to that day. First having to schedule it. I understand why... but it seemed fucked up. Also I took him out and we did a bunch of stuff, he got to eat a bunch of things he wasn’t allowed to eat.... just a good last day..... and then went and killed him.

Even now I struggle with that.... questioning was that the right thing. Not putting him down. That had to happen I know but just the lead up.

Facking terrible day. They are family.

I was the same way, I wondered if I did the right thing.

No more animal after my 2 last ones.

RIP Little boy

View attachment 752

Boxer are the sweetest dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Losing my dog previous to my current one was the hardest and worst thing I have gone through since I was a kid... Nothing really compared. He was hit by a car, so it was very sudden as well.