Knee wraps?

Sorbate

Board Dumbass
Trusted Member
Anyhow after years of not being able to squat, the chiropractor I have been seeing fixed the sciatica I had in my left leg fir 18 years.
So I’ve been squatting like a mad man.
What I am finding is the front of the bone on my shin right below my knee cap is getting tender on both legs.
Should I give it a rest for a bit, or would knee wraps help?

I would say yes to both..when i was younger i didnt believe in wraps,straps or belts . Now after injuries and bad joints im a believer. Wish i could go back in time a slap younger me .lol

I would say yes to both..when i was younger i didnt believe in wraps,straps or belts . Now after injuries and bad joints im a believer. Wish i could go back in time a slap younger me .lol
I did leg presses instead today. Didn’t feel it in the tendon bone area.

I’ll get some wraps, I’m realky excited about squatting. I’ve already hit 225 for 10. Honestly I couldn’t train my legs at all really for years. It would aggravate the sciatica so bad. I could only do leg extensions.

My first goal was 225, hit that in 2 weeks, now on to 315, lol.

I recommend the tommy kono knee bands= sleeves. You just pull them on.. they keep alot of blood in the area.. i always use them when i go heavy.. they can be pretty harse on the leg hair thou, getting them off and on.

Define squatting like a madman. Are you overdoing it repetition wise?

You’re probably not sitting back far enough in your squat and pushing through the heels if you’re getting soreness in that area.

Wraps and a bit of analgesic rub will definitely help the symptoms, but you’re best to address the cause. Be sure also to properly warm up those knees. A short bike ride of about 5 mins with the resistance cranked up works pretty well.

Most of all look at your form including hip and ankle flexibility.

Also... if you haven’t ever squatted before... besides working on form... work volume. Look to get good at the movement. Most guys make a lot of mistakes squatting. These mistakes become more exaggerated as you keep progressing heavier.

It’s great to have goals but focusing on a specific weight isn’t the right move here. Not at this time.

Last edited:
I've used knee wraps for the past 2 years or so. I love them.

Creates greater stability.

In my old age I never do squats/deadlifts without them.

I use wraps only on my heavy sets. Have been doing this for 5 years or so now.
I dont wear them super tight like a powerifter but just tight enough that the support is good. Also tight enough that it would be uncomfortable to keep them on for more than a few mins.

Define squatting like a madman. Are you overdoing it repetition wise?

You’re probably not sitting back far enough in your squat and pushing through the heels if you’re getting soreness in that area.

Wraps and a bit of analgesic rub will definitely help the symptoms, but you’re best to address the cause. Be sure also to properly warm up those knees. A short bike ride of about 5 mins with the resistance cranked up works pretty well.

Most of all look at your form including hip and ankle flexibility.

Also... if you haven’t ever squatted before... besides working on form... work volume. Look to get good at the movement. Most guys make a lot of mistakes squatting. These mistakes become more exaggerated as you keep progressing heavier.

It’s great to have goals but focusing on a specific weight isn’t the right move here. Not at this time.

Ok I changed my training routine to fix what I think is lagging bodyparts
so now I only train
Legs
SHoulders
Cardio
repeat

I pretty much only do squats, so 8-10 sets of squats, then hamstring curls and calves. I hit the intensity really hard, so pause/rest for 5-6 reps after fatigued (I like how if you just give your thighs a split second to rest you can squeeze out more).
Its not like I had never done squats (god knows wrong, lol) but I hadn't really done them very often because every time I did my sciatica would be insane for the next week. A couple time I had spasmed the nerve, so I avoided them.

I will work on form more. Watch vids and take a vid of myself to compaire.

I am not lifting from my heels. I am trying to keep my form pretty good. I am trying to not let my knees go out front. I warm up for the first 3 sets of the 10.

I am not doing 20 sets because I train legs every 3 days right now. I like it because I'm not too crippled for work this way, but my strength and how tight my jeans have gotten shows progress. I will increase my workload as my legs can handle it, or progression slows.

I am going to follow this training routine for a few months. I might throw in Chest once in a while as it used to be one of my worst bodyparts.

I am still working on hip flexability, being tight thru out my hip/glute/lowerback area was the reason for the sciatica. Everything cramped after I bulged the disc years ago.

Thx for the reply

I find good fairly tight[not constrictive nor hard to pull on] knee sleeves to be easier to deal with than wraps and they still allow me to squat well.Without them i also hurt in front below knee area

Last edited:
Often not mentioned is that yes weight needs to be to the heal but also on the outside of your feet (to keep the knees from tracking in). When I start I step back with weight, push weight to out side of heels, then focus on moving glutes back as opposed to going up and down.

PS I find that underarmour compression long spatz (leggings) work better than sleeves as the whole leg warms up faster and stays warm. (And you look like the cool kids if you wear shorts over them)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know what you need to do sir. Keep working it. All the things you mention are good ideas.

Pay specific attention to sitting back and not getting out over those toes. It’s not easy to do unless you have good flexibility. You think you are doing it... but then you’re not lol!

I have chronic knee pain... it’s just what it is from years of abuse and a few surgeries along the way. The wraps and a nice hot rub will help. You don’t need a tight wrap or even a moderate or heavy sleeve. Just light. Enough to provide a little support but more to just keep that heat in. Save cranking them down or even a heavy sleeve for another time.

I love my SBD knee sleeves. Definitely help keep the joint warm and helps add support. In my young days I'd have mocked myself for using them, but now that I'm older they're a godsend. I prefer sleeves over wraps because it quickly becomes a pain re-wrapping every set and I don't squat nearly as heavy as I used to so the wraps are kind of overkill.

I use Norse fitness knee sleeves. Best investment I ever made. I never used to go past 185lb on squats and even 135 makes me knees hurt. I can squat 225 easily now and I got 250lb for 5 last cycle.

They also look badass for the wannabe Viking in me.6DCA93F5-2623-4CE1-B65F-6F1BD42D5AE7.jpeg

I have to wrap my knees to squat past 275. Now i dont squat at all. I find getting better results pumping out sets of 20-30 on leg press and hack squat then squatting 500+ pounds. And my back is much happier too.