Fixed Motion vs Free Motion Machines

the goose

Active member
Trusted Member
I am fortunate enough that my gym has some higher end equipment, Watson gear from the Uk for example and other brands

Some of this equipment comes in what I call a free range of motion design that is, no fixed path from the start of your rep to the end
The shoulder press for example you could almost do a fly in and the handles rotate freely , same with a row machine.

I find I am preferring the fixed path variant of these machines as inevitably I find with the free motion machines I worry about the path of lift more and I loose muscle connection

Has / does anybody used the free motion variant and what are your thoughts?

Thanks In Advance
 
  • Like
Reactions: T77
I am fortunate enough that my gym has some higher end equipment, Watson gear from the Uk for example and other brands

Some of this equipment comes in what I call a free range of motion design that is, no fixed path from the start of your rep to the end
The shoulder press for example you could almost do a fly in and the handles rotate freely , same with a row machine.

I find I am preferring the fixed path variant of these machines as inevitably I find with the free motion machines I worry about the path of lift more and I loose muscle connection

Has / does anybody used the free motion variant and what are your thoughts?

Thanks In Advance
I've used a bit of both and for me its so dependant on muscle and which fixed machine Im comparing it to. Im a big believer in using whatever machine or free weight isolates the muscles your trying to hit the most as well as what doesn't tweak or cause pains elsewhere. For example theres a hammer strength incline press i so badly want to love. But no matter how i adjust it kills my shoulders, so not for me although many others love it.🤷
 
For me I only like machines for some pulling to support my chest, or for legs.
Any pressing I have to use free weights otherwise my shoulders, elbows or wrists are bothered from being forced into the wrong angles.
 
I wasn't gonna comment but it's interesting to me how precisely the same I feel as what both @T77 and @superbeast just said.
Hammer or similar machines for back I love, they are the first thing I can get really strong at after a layoff, but they just don't fit right for any pushing. I use a lot of cables for chest and a flye or side later machine if it's more than one axis. Cables don't satisfy the felt need for heavy iron though.
 
I wasn't gonna comment but it's interesting to me how precisely the same I feel as what both @T77 and @superbeast just said.
Hammer or similar machines for back I love, they are the first thing I can get really strong at after a layoff, but they just don't fit right for any pushing. I use a lot of cables for chest and a flye or side later machine if it's more than one axis. Cables don't satisfy the felt need for heavy iron though.
Im with you on that as well. Been doing lots of cable even for flat or incline. Just hits chest better for me and doesnt blast out my shoulders. Love machines for back and some legs. But chest and shoulders rarely
 
Top