Fish oil DHA / EPA content and dosage

Goldenrod

Staff member
Morning,

I’m sure this has been asked before but here it goes anyway.
Walmart sells fish oil with a combined EPA and DHA content in their 1 gram pill of about 220.
Carleson’s, my preferred brand, per pill has a combined 600 mg of DHA and epa per pill.
I read people stating they are taking 4-10 grams a day.
@The Old Guy - you mentioned 10, is that 10 grams combined epa and DHA or 10 grams of fish oil?

My goal is always 4 grams of combined epa and DHA combines which is 6-7 pills of Carlesons

Thanks in advance,
GR

It's 10 caps, at 1000mg per cap.

I only know that since I'm helping him with his diet.

Carelson is my favorite fish oil, I take 15ml per day. That workout out to be 12 fish oil caps at regular strenght.

Last edited:
Good morning @Goldenrod

I’m using 10 tabs at 1000 mg per tab of fish oil only.

This has lowered my bp to normal range when coversyl plus was unable to.

Now there are a few other factors here.

I’m currently on 200 mg of dr prescribed Test E and not running a blast as I was before.

Cardio has been vastly increased

Diet has been reined in by @Funnyman and I’m following this for the most part.

I usually buy fish oil at Loblaws when the big containers are on sale.

Post note, I’m always using two servings of liquid L carnatine per workout which may help a bit as well.

I just buy the bulk fish oil and take 6-10 a day. I suppose you could reduce that if the dha/epa content was higher , but there are other benifits to fish oil besides just the epa/dha

Morning,

Walmart sells fish oil with a combined EPA and DHA content in their 1 gram pill of about 220.
Carleson’s, my preferred brand, per pill has a combined 600 mg of DHA and epa per pill.
@The Old Guy - you mentioned 10, is that 10 grams combined epa and DHA or 10 grams of fish oil?

My goal is always 4 grams of combined epa and DHA combines which is 6-7 pills of Carlesons

Thanks in advance,
GR

12 x 1200mg caps from walmart containing a total of 5040 EPA and 3360 DHA. Dramatic effect on BP.

Sorry for the wait it was bugging me that I couldn't remember where I posted this :mad:

n=1

https://canadianbrawn.com/threads/dealing-with-high-bp.799/page-2#post-8730

"...
So I've been taking it for a few years at roughly this dose (EPA-DHA)4000-2000. That's 10 1 gram pills for the one I take. At this dose my BP was usually near the high end of the normal range - 140/90.

A while ago I tracked my BP for about 10 days at the drug store to get a baseline (140/90 ish, same as at the Drs office) then doubled my dose to 8000-4000 (20 pills). I made no other changes in diet or anything else. Seven days later my BP measured 120/80 which is at the bottom of the normal range and it has remained there since."

For the last year or so I've been taking ***12grams/day which total 5040 EPA- 3360 DHA for the Equate brand Walmart Omega3 product I use. Now I come in at around 110-115/65-80. I assume that improvements in food choices, supplementation and other lifestyle choices are the reason for the further improvement but I am very happy to have isolated what effect the fish oil has on me. A large part of my sup protocol is focused on CV health and includes stuff like Niacin, Citrulline Malate, Coconut Oil, CoQ 10, Curcumin, ASA, antioxidants etc ..."
"Edit - *** I forgot these are actually larger gel caps- 1200mg not 1000. So actual fish oil dosage is 12 caps or 14,400mg "

When you take your BP at 140/90 as a start, you have a remarkable decrease in both Systolic and Diastolic readings, which is cool. You do, however, list "Niacin, Citrulline Malate, Coconut Oil, CoQ 10, Curcumin, ASA, antioxidants," which may be confounding variables. How did you isolate the effect fish oil had on your BP? Was there any effect on your lipids?

It's 10 caps, at 1000mg per cap.

I only know that since I'm helping him with his diet.

Carelson is my favorite fish oil, I take 15 3ml per day. That workout out to be 12 fish oil caps at regular strenght.
12 x 1200mg caps from walmart containing a total of 5040 EPA and 3360 DHA. Dramatic effect on BP.
thank you @gondar1 - my point or question, however you wanted to take it, was for the fishoil fenatics and there are a lot of them - the gram is the combined DHA/EPA content and not just the pretty print on the bottle that cost $5 and says 1 gram per pill. Some of the more expensive brands list their Mercury content and also are cheaper due to their higher epa/DHA. I’m not preaching st your brother, I’m sure you know this but there are a lot that don’t.
As always - appreciate your input.

You need to reevaluate your BP levels of what the regular readings should be for a start: https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/reading-the-new-blood-pressure-guidelines
I have a thread here somewhere in regards to this, probably from Medscape.

Yessir, I think I did all that just before or at least right around the time those new guidelines were released, I am consistently just inside the new normal range on 12 x 1200mg a day now.

When you take your BP at 140/90 as a start, you have a remarkable decrease in both Systolic and Diastolic readings, which is cool. You do, however, list "Niacin, Citrulline Malate, Coconut Oil, CoQ 10, Curcumin, ASA, antioxidants," which may be confounding variables. How did you isolate the effect fish oil had on your BP? Was there any effect on your lipids?

I kept my entire supp routine exactly the same for about 3 months prior (logged daily) and through the FO changes. Training including cardio and diet were as constant as possible. I also dropped the FO abruptly a few times and BP crept back to near 140/90 over 2-3 weeks each time. After about a year I settled on the 12 a day dose. Lipid profile improved some over that time, hard to say how much effect some fatloss and low level (150-200mg) AAS (TRT and Mast, Primo) supplementation had on any of these results, but I'd assume the drugs were working against me in that regard.

Like I said, n=1 so results may not be typical but I'm not changing anything for now and I'd encourage all with issues to experiment if interested. Staying organized and documenting all data is of prime importance for sure if you hope to mitigate the effect of the variables, I took my best shot at that.

thank you @gondar1 - my point or question, however you wanted to take it, was for the fishoil fenatics and there are a lot of them - the gram is the combined DHA/EPA content and not just the pretty print on the bottle that cost $5 and says 1 gram per pill. Some of the more expensive brands list their Mercury content and also are cheaper due to their higher epa/DHA. I’m not preaching st your brother, I’m sure you know this but there are a lot that don’t.
As always - appreciate your input.

Yessir, the importance of the DHA/EPA content was part of what I was trying to stress in that other thread. You are right, I don't think most folks know about it. Just the "bang for your buck" angle alone is worth paying attention to.

Yessir, I think I did all that just before or at least right around the time those new guidelines were released, I am consistently just inside the new normal range on 12 x 1200mg a day now.

I kept my entire supp routine exactly the same for about 3 months prior (logged daily) and through the FO changes. Training including cardio and diet were as constant as possible. I also dropped the FO abruptly a few times and BP crept back to near 140/90 over 2-3 weeks each time. After about a year I settled on the 12 a day dose. Lipid profile improved some over that time, hard to say how much effect some fatloss and low level (150-200mg) AAS (TRT and Mast, Primo) supplementation had on any of these results, but I'd assume the drugs were working against me in that regard.

Like I said, n=1 so results may not be typical but I'm not changing anything for now and I'd encourage all with issues to experiment if interested. Staying organized and documenting all data is of prime importance for sure if you hope to mitigate the effect of the variables, I took my best shot at that.

Thank you, sir! I keep telling myself I have to add fish oil but every bottle I get I wind up forgetting about.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/do-omega-3s-protect-your-thinking-skills

Morning,

Thanks in advance,
GR
I remember a video of a person saying to get 1000epa and dha per day
That’s about 3-4 of kirklands (Costco) high concentrated fish oil (omega 3)

I remember a video of a person saying to get 1000epa and dha per day
That’s about 3-4 of kirklands (Costco) high concentrated fish oil (omega 3)
I believe you are correct for the average person who is trying to get the correct amounts and ratio’s but not as a panacea for hypertension or pre-hypertension.
I increased to 4 grams and my BP has decreased but maybe just an anomaly.
I don’t take the same degree of dosages or multiple compounds most people I read about do.