Elbow rehab

Palmer1991

Trusted Member
Hey I didn't know whether this forum would be fine or if I should put it in the health and wellness forum...
I have like tennis elbow or something, when I was bulking I didn't isolate my arms at all but now that I'm just maintaining I figured I could do some isolate arms excersise. I mightta ego lifted a bit cause now my elbow like right on the outside little indent part of my elbow feels off, not painful or anything just a minor inconvenience feeling. So I didn't workout arms last week and I'm not sure if I will tomorrow or not but I was thinking of getting one of those copper iron thread or w.e. sleeve for my elbow. Sound like a useful idea? Any other suggestions? And where would I buy it?

Thanks

If its tennis elbow it can take a long time to heal so go easy and dont make it worse. Lighter weight, no isolation, work around it not through it, and pay close attention to the pain and stop if/when you feel it. Ego and isolation causes it for me, like preacher curls are the worst.

I've had tennis elbow in one arm and golf elbow in the other at the same time, and I can still feel it 6 months later when I push it.

HGH helps, and ice packs with massage that you can do yourself. Perhaps BPC 157 but there are mixed reviews on that for elbows. If it's not bad now then take care of it and dont let it get worse. Go see a physio if you think that would help. Play it smart here or it can get bad.

So do u think a copper elbow sleeve would help when I do things like bench?

Also while on the subject of accessories, I been thinking it's time to buy a belt for squats, are they all the same or what should I look for and where do I look? Lol

I have used elbow sleeves when I had a tendon issue in that area. I personally found it didn’t do anything and I hated wearing them.

I use an ice cube and use the ice cube to massage the area bothering me. Found that worked the best doing it a couple times a day.

Keep in mind, often the problem isn't where the pain shows up. Internal organ stress can cause shoulder pain and improperly postured shoulder can put the elbow joint bones off-track, solving which can only happen by restoring the shoulder posture (this is much more common with hip and ankle misalignment causing knee grinding and pain) and those seeming root causes might be caused by another root cause. I'm not saying you personally have it but it's not uncommon.

Keep in mind, often the problem isn't where the pain shows up. Internal organ stress can cause shoulder pain and improperly postured shoulder can put the elbow joint bones off-track, solving which can only happen by restoring the shoulder posture (this is much more common with hip and ankle misalignment causing knee grinding and pain) and those seeming root causes might be caused by another root cause. I'm not saying you personally have it but it's not uncommon.
I had what I thought was bad shoulders for years, once I got the knots removed out of my back and my range of motion restored, then I realized I didn’t have crap shoulders.

I agree internal organ stress could likely contribute, but I bet that is likely pretty rare.

Elbow sleeve does not help me either. Lighter weight and continuing my workouts and increasing reps, then the weight, slowly. Then I re-injure slightly, back it off, and repeat the climb back up. Ice and heat and massage. And no pain killers, you need to know if it hurts so you don't make it worse.

Definitely get a belt. You can get a decent one off Amazon. I got a 4 inch and use mine for leg day, moving furniture, yard work, or anything that might tweak my back.

While you're at it get knee wraps too and wear them on leg day. They are great and will prevent all sorts of injuries. I wish I got them before I needed them as preventative measure.

My brother is a PT and he got me foam rolling my tricep and using the ultrasound machine EOD and that actually solved my issue for the most part. This has been an on going issue for several years, fixed in less than a week. Used to click all the time, now its once in a while if that.

Seems like fluid just wouldn't drain from the area. Something about the lymphatic system he was saying.

My brother is a PT and he got me foam rolling my tricep and using the ultrasound machine EOD and that actually solved my issue for the most part. This has been an on going issue for several years, fixed in less than a week. Used to click all the time, now its once in a while if that.

Seems like fluid just wouldn't drain from the area. Something about the lymphatic system he was saying.
Ultrasound machine?
Definitely get a belt. You can get a decent one off Amazon. I got a 4 inch and use mine for leg day, moving furniture, yard work, or anything that might tweak my back.

While you're at it get knee wraps too and wear them on leg day. They are great and will prevent all sorts of injuries. I wish I got them before I needed them as preventative measure.
Ughhh I hate ordering anything but gear online lol. Pretty much every order outside gear and supps have been a bad experience lol... Clothes look nothing like they do online 😂. I also once bought this security camera and it turned out to be this cube that was like half the size of an icecube with a sim card slot, it reminded me of old school kinder egg toys before they went ultra cheap, but this thing was cheap... And garbage... So I bought another one and I'm pretty sure my landlord stole it when it was dropped off at my door lol

I’ve got golfer’s elbow (tendonitis in the inner elbow) in both arms since 2009. The mistake I made was trying to continue to lift through the pain when it first started so take caution. My workouts used to consist of heavy weights 2-6 low reps. I now train with light weight 15-20 reps and can no longer lift everyday. Forearm stretches help a lot so try to do them daily in sets. Extend arm locked out forward and bend wrist up for about 15 seconds and then bend wrist down, and sideways. Wrist curls helps and strengthens your forearms alleviating pressure on elbows, if you have pain then you have swelling so Advil or Aleeve helps. I take Naproxen almost daily. The regular compression straps don’t do shit for elbow tendonitis but the ones I use are different and helps a lot. In fact I can’t workout without it. I’ll post a link on the bottom. These strap have a small bulging gel where it’s supposed to press up against the pinpointed area you feel the pain. You’ll feel relief instantly or pain decrease significantly while lifting. It’s impossible for me to lift without these straps. Finally, look into BPC157, I’m really looking forward to starting the BPC157 and GH end of the month and see if it works for me

Edit: Removed pic, it's too large. If interested, search "elbow gel straps" in amazon.

Last edited:
An ultrasound machine used for physiotherapy. They sell ones for non-professional use and it worked just fine.

I started physiotherapy for both elbows today and when they whipped out the ultrasound thingamajig I remember your post lol
I'll be going in twice per week for the following:
Ultrasound Therapy
Pulsating Electrical Stimulating Device
Massage by cupping
Baby weight wrist curls

I'm thinking about changing it to going in 3x/week for the first 4 weeks. Hopefully I'll see good results as you did

I started physiotherapy for both elbows today and when they whipped out the ultrasound thingamajig I remember your post lol
I'll be going in twice per week for the following:
Ultrasound Therapy
Pulsating Electrical Stimulating Device
Massage by cupping
Baby weight wrist curls

I'm thinking about changing it to going in 3x/week for the first 4 weeks. Hopefully I'll see good results as you did
I'm telling you. In the middle of the night my left hand would fall asleep. Probably because there's a blockage of fluid or something, i dont know the intricacies. After ultrasound no more issues in that regard. Foam rolling the tricep and ultrasound definitely worked. Now i have my wife try to work the knots out then use the ultrasound around the elbow joint.

I'm still working on it, direct tricep work seems to affect it more. But bicep curls pain free, and bench press once im warmed up basically pain free also.

I have had to fix mine before. I am still working on it. Keep your elbows in line with your hands, also do only one part of the range for the next month or two starting from the bar working your way up to the weight you'd use. So only the negatives or opposite. It helps reshape the new connective formation into a better shape for strength rather than letting it heal straight up which will cause it to be weak. Drugs and stuff Aren't helpful at all in this case. Maybe growth hormone but it might also skip some of the healing steps. I mean if you continue to take growth it does heal quicker so you can keep reinjuring it but there is a way to heal it better than that so it's stronger.

So I found some conflicting information recently on tendon strength. I read you need to lift really heavy to strengthen you tendons so like something u can't do more than 5 reps with.... Then I read that your tendons are strong for the same reason they are slow to heal and strengthen, they have poor blood flow. So it's best to do tons of light weight reps to get blood there to strengthen them..... Thoughts?

So I found some conflicting information recently on tendon strength. I read you need to lift really heavy to strengthen you tendons so like something u can't do more than 5 reps with.... Then I read that your tendons are strong for the same reason they are slow to heal and strengthen, they have poor blood flow. So it's best to do tons of light weight reps to get blood there to strengthen them..... Thoughts?
Do not lift heavy after a tendon or ligament injury. There is no logic to it. You start slow and see how it goes and I mean slow, adding each workout. When the pain comes back, walk out of the gym and take more time off. Small amounts of discomfort is fine but you will just end up with a chronic issue that may take forever to heal.
The former makes no sense in the least and I would love to read what you read. If this was the case why is it when people take Deca or some muscle building strength compound, that is often when you tare or rip the tendon off the bone. Your muscles will get stronger than than your tendons quicker.
This is a turtle sport and the quicker you learn this the better. I just took off two weeks for a bad cold, back for a week, and then a back injury which took a week of Dexamethasone to settle down and a lot of mobility work. I am still starting back at half weight and will within a month will be back to where I was before and will most likely surpass. It is like a deload but listen to your body and if you don't, you lifting career will be short or you will live in chronic pain.

why.jpg

EDIT ALREADY - Just saw @Goldenrod 's post above mine, I agree 100% with his. The reason mine is different is because I was considering this post I replied to to be a general question about tendon strength. Injured? Whole nother ballgame, my answer should should be covered in the threads linked below

And in reply to your OP - https://www.canadianbrawn.com/search/252042/?q=therabar&o=date

Last edited:
I haven't read all the comments only because I'm not fully awake yet but yea don't ego lift on arms, go lighter, make sure your warmed up good and use a sleeve. I did all that and took a little break from curls and my elbow went back to normal.