COVID experiences

I was sick back in i want to say April. Never got tested but its safe to assume it was Covid. Was the easiest virus i ever got over, the worst part was i lost all appetite, if i tried to eat any protein it just wouldn't digest. 3-4 days later and I was good enough to start eating like normal again, obviously had to quarantine for 14 days and missed work for a bit, that really sucked.

It has been a real roller coaster here for me. I manage a psychiatric facility. We continue to have a drastic shortage of staff and supplies. I have worked more OT than at anytime in my life.

On the personal front I lost 2 friends to the virus. My Girlfriend became so terrified about the virus we broke up over my work in healthcare. We have never spoken again. I am now on a medication for hypertension. I have contracted hypertension as a direct result of job stress!

Truthfully, like many it has given me a great opportunity for self examination. I am going to retire far earlier than originally planned.

Anyone else?

Its a fact that as a virus goes forward it mutates and most often it becomes weaker the more it mutates.. Also, is the virus progresses and mutates the population does build up anti bodies. helps..
Interesting. Some viruses may get weaker from mutation, but the nasties I think of don't. AIDS is a good example. It has been around for roughly forty years, and there still isn't a vaccine for it. Yearly influenza (s) mutate and retain their nastiness. The same with rhinoviruses if I recollect correctly. Coronaviruses that cause the common cold to stay strong through mutations as well. We can get the same cold over and over again despite anti-bodies. They mutate to very nasty stuff as we are becoming well aware.

It has been a real roller coaster here for me. I manage a psychiatric facility. We continue to have a drastic shortage of staff and supplies. I have worked more OT than at anytime in my life.

On the personal front I lost 2 friends to the virus. My Girlfriend became so terrified about the virus we broke up over my work in healthcare. We have never spoken again. I am now on a medication for hypertension. I have contracted hypertension as a direct result of job stress!

Truthfully, like many it has given me a great opportunity for self examination. I am going to retire far earlier than originally planned.

Anyone else?

Everyone I know in the field is burned out or overworked. We are getting close to a tipping point.

Everyone I know in the field is burned out or overworked. We are getting close to a tipping point.
Yup! I am done. Also, here in BC the Municipal Pension Plan is changing significantly in 2022. I would not one of those who benefit from the changes. If I leave in Dec. 2021 it makes a $6 a month difference.

The only reason I'm not leaving now is I spent a boatload of cash this year. I bought a 4x4 for winter, took a fishing trip, helped out my son and finally turned my ground floor (now minus a dining area) into a significant gym.

Gotta replenish the bank accounts!!

Its all gravy...

How are you feeling now? You shouldn’t have any problem with COVID unless you have underlying lung or cardiovascular disease.

I read about a 33 year old instagram fitness influencer male who just died from COVID. His heart failed.
Most likely was abusing PED and Steroids for his career which relied on his physique. Quite sad, he had 2 kids.
These are off cases, they are real but doesn’t happen often. My buddy’s a type 1 diabetic he had covid and had no problems.

Young/healthy people also die from the flu every year. Imagine if the media amplified those stories like they do with covid...

Interesting. Some viruses may get weaker from mutation, but the nasties I think of don't. AIDS is a good example. It has been around for roughly forty years, and there still isn't a vaccine for it. Yearly influenza (s) mutate and retain their nastiness. The same with rhinoviruses if I recollect correctly. Coronaviruses that cause the common cold to stay strong through mutations as well. We can get the same cold over and over again despite anti-bodies. They mutate to very nasty stuff as we are becoming well aware.

ya I'm no desease expert lol.. I'm just repeating informaiton I've read.

Flu vs COVID. Influenza generally doesn't kill strong young people, except for the Spanish flu. COVID so far has killed more people than influenza typically does.
Agree. Covid isn’t killing young strong people either though, but yes it is a lot harsher on anyone with co morbidities, and the comobidities do not need to be drastic. Even simple high blood pressure, obesity and diet cured diabetes people are in danger of covid, where with the normal flu would likely be fine.
Also covid transmits a lot easier.

Only one thing about covid that bothers me, why are they not pushing vit d. They have 3 seperate studies done specifically about covid that show causation that low vit d levels directly impact your chances of getting it, and severity.
If we can wear a mask that really the way we are using them isn’t really doing much, why not tout vit d, even if it only did as much as the masks?

Agree. Covid isn’t killing young strong people either though, but yes it is a lot harsher on anyone with co morbidities, and the comobidities do not need to be drastic. Even simple high blood pressure, obesity and diet cured diabetes people are in danger of covid, where with the normal flu would likely be fine.

Only one thing about covid that bothers me, why are they not pushing vit d. They have 3 seperate studies done specifically about covid that show causation that low vit d levels directly impact your chances of getting it, and severity.
If we can wear a mask that really the way we are using them isn’t really doing much, why not tout vit d, even if it only did as much as the masks?

Medscape has had quite a few articles on Vitamin D. I think it is Medscape. I am so inundated with COVID I have stopped reading them and am watching reruns of Degrassi The Next Generation for a break.

ya I'm no desease expert lol.. I'm just repeating informaiton I've read.

You got me thinking about how many viruses there are out there and how little we know about them. Maybe many do lose strength through mutations. Copy of copies kind of thing?

You see headlines like this and think "OMG BABIES ARE DYING!!!"

Then come to find out later the poor child was born with his intestines outside the body:

The news cycle is so fast, and attention spans are so short, that people just remember that first scary headline.

This is why I said: imagine if we reported on flu in the same way. If every child who died with the flu generated a scary headline. We'd never leave our houses out of fear.

You see headlines like this and think "OMG BABIES ARE DYING!!!"

Then come to find out later the poor child was born with his intestines outside the body:

The news cycle is so fast, and attention spans are so short, that people just remember that first scary headline.

This is why I said: imagine if we reported on flu in the same way. If every child who died with the flu generated a scary headline. We'd never leave our houses out of fear.

I don't know, man. I don't want to denigrate anyone, but If people want to get medical info from anything other than medical resources, go for it. Accept them for what they are, non-medical commentaries written by non-medical personnel. The problem is that the understanding level of certain medical articles is well beyond the average individual reader's scope. Not everyone studied medical sciences in college or university, nor should everyone be expected to. I get peeved when non-medical people comment on articles with minimal knowledge of the article's discussion and diss it. I don't discuss cars or carpentry because I know diddly about the topic, but everyone is a Doc or a Nurse and conduct themselves as such. There is so much mis-information out there, it is dangerous.
If you want to look for a cool example of media and influenza, look up the 1976 Hong Kong flu.

Flu vs COVID. Influenza generally doesn't kill strong young people, except for the Spanish flu. COVID so far has killed more people than influenza typically does.
But as reports come out those numbers have been greatly inflated.
People that were already given weeks or days to live before getting covid, were still listed as covid deaths. They do not track influenza deaths that way.
I don't dispute it is a nasty, dangerous virus. But a lot of this has been fear mongering, and inflating numbers. This way the government can keep us in the emergency measures act. Therefore passing bills at will.
No accountability for the government.
Again not arguing this isn't a dangerous virus.. and not trying to downplay it.
But there is more to it then meets the eye.

On a side note, I just read an article.. if memory serves from Trinidad. Saying over 80% of the cases of covid-19 in there hospitals, the patients were vitamin D deficient.
So probably a good thing most of us here supplement vitamin D.
Stay safe friends!

People that were already given weeks or days to live before getting covid, were still listed as covid deaths. They do not track influenza deaths that way.
I don't dispute it is a nasty, dangerous virus. But a lot of this has been fear mongering, and inflating numbers. This way the government can keep us in the emergency measures act. Therefore passing bills at will.

On a side note, I just read an article.. if memory serves from Trinidad. Saying over 80% of the cases of covid-19 in there hospitals, the patients were vitamin D deficient.
Stay safe friends!
You don't know me, do you?

Stay safe friends!