Cold plunge

5-8%advantage

Trusted Member
Day two of cold plunge in the river….
4 degrees and 5 minutes.
Plan on doing 2-3 days a week with our group.
Last winter we used the above ground pool and chopped a hole in the ice until it hit -10 and then it just got too thick.
Plan on hitting the river all winter.

Who’s using cold plunger regularly and what’s your routine?
What kind of objective vs subjective benefits have you / are you seeing?

Our group of 4-8 guys meets 2-3 times per week in early morning or evening- depending on schedules.
We take a short walk from the parking place down to a beach, set the timer, and go up to our necks for 5 min.

After 2 min it feels like we could go a LOT longer, but for me 5 min still comes with a pretty long warm up time and I get a lot of benefits…..
Improvement in sleep
Improvement in mood
Increased stress capacity
Increase in immunity (potentially subjective)
Increased energy

Plus doing it with a bunch of bros is pretty good for the male bonding thing I guess LOL.

I do it every day I'm off for 3 minutes. I love it but I don't go crazy with temperature. I just crank out bath water on the coldest setting snd throw ice in. I'm pretty sure it's benificial anywhere colder then 15c and down

Would love to be able to do the cold plunge. I know someone who converted an old chest freezer into a cold plunge bath, pretty smart idea. If I had the space I would do it. I wonder if I had a big enough bath outside this winter with a way to circulate the water if it would freeze. Maybe salt?

Would love to be able to do the cold plunge. I know someone who converted an old chest freezer into a cold plunge bath, pretty smart idea. If I had the space I would do it. I wonder if I had a big enough bath outside this winter with a way to circulate the water if it would freeze. Maybe salt?
The lowest freezing point of salt water -21c at 27% salt, it will not get lower than this with additional salt and that why we don't use salt on our roads in Saskatchewan.

The lowest freezing point of salt water -21c at 27% salt, it will not get lower than this with additional salt and that why we don't use salt on our roads in Saskatchewan.

I didn't really think it though. Probably pretty dangerous to jump into water that is -27. Can't imagine my skin enjoying that.

sometimes if I lazily flop down on the shitter my dick slaps the water
I have to hover so my balls don't get flushed dick not so much. Tried the cold plunge more like polar bear once and didn't enjoy it but I mean they had to cut the ice so we could jump in I thought my life was over 1 and done

I may be forgetting something here but water freezes at 0. I don't think you can get water that's minus 27.
yep you are forgetting something :) . The thread got a bit messed up minus 21 is the limit. How? @entropy should be able to answer that question well :)

I think maybe you can get it even colder if you add pressure or something too?

yep you are forgetting something :) . The thread got a bit messed up minus 21 is the limit. How? @entropy should be able to answer that question well :)

I think maybe you can get it even colder if you add pressure or something too?

You'd need to add over 200Mpa pressure before it would reduce the freezing point a little.
Nerd out.
1700100531356.png

Last edited: