cold/flu home remedies

animal-inside

Trusted Member
Been on my ass for a few days with a nasty head cold.. The cold/flu medicines only take the headache away... Anyone got anything else that works?

I'll give mine:
-eat TONS of garlic. When I'm sick I make "garlic soup" which is 1 can of chicken noodle soup with 3-4 whole garlic cloves mashed up and put in it. I'll eat this 2-3 times a day. It seems to really help with colds.

-muskeg tea, also called labrador tea.. you'll have to google where to find it, but it grows all over the place where I live.. We always have a bag of leaves in the house.. I don't like tea usually but I don't mind muskeg tea and honey.

-Nettie pot.. I thought I had been cured by the hand of God when I first used a Nettie pot about 5 years ago..

My perception of cold and flues is the following: Once you have it you can take Vitamin C, D, zinc, selenium, herbal teas, astragalus, garlic, ACV, medical mushrooms, etc. and only reduce the actual duration by a few days. That being said it is incredible how much vitamin C your body will use without diarrhea developing. In the middle of a cold/flu you can take 50,000 mg or more (1,000 mg every 30 minutes) and you don't get diarrhea so your body is using it. Try doing that when you aren't sick and you will experience what is referred to as the ascorbic acid flush lol.

If you don't mind injecting battery acid, I find injectable vitamin C to pack more of a punch.

Once the bugger gets you, it has you and is going to run its course.
If you are referring to symptom control - I don't reduce fevers unless they are too high because your body created the fever for a reason. There are a few mouth rinses that help with throat pain, neti pot for stuffed up nose, and tylenol or IBUprofen if you have very bad aches and pains.

Where a lot of the 'supplements' / herbs seem to shine through is in prevention. Since running the quadruple therapy that is being tested on doc/nurses and patients with viral infections, I haven't been sick in years. Everyone at work has and I usually get chest infections but nope: selenium, zinc, bromelain/quercetin combo product, and vitamin D. I get most of my C from food so I don't see a need to supplement it unless I get sick again and then I will take injections.
These are just 4 and all inexpensive - there are tons of immune supporting herbs in the world but there has to be a limit to what you take.

My perception of cold and flues is the following: Once you have it you can take Vitamin C, D, zinc, selenium, herbal teas, astragalus, garlic, ACV, medical mushrooms, etc. and only reduce the actual duration by a few days. That being said it is incredible how much vitamin C your body will use without diarrhea developing. In the middle of a cold/flu you can take 50,000 mg or more (1,000 mg every 30 minutes) and you don't get diarrhea so your body is using it. Try doing that when you aren't sick and you will experience what is referred to as the ascorbic acid flush lol.

If you don't mind injecting battery acid, I find injectable vitamin C to pack more of a punch.

If you are referring to symptom control - I don't reduce fevers unless they are too high because your body created the fever for a reason. There are a few mouth rinses that help with throat pain, neti pot for stuffed up nose, and tylenol or IBUprofen if you have very bad aches and pains.

Where a lot of the 'supplements' / herbs seem to shine through is in prevention. Since running the quadruple therapy that is being tested on doc/nurses and patients with viral infections, I haven't been sick in years. Everyone at work has and I usually get chest infections but nope: selenium, zinc, bromelain/quercetin combo product, and vitamin D. I get most of my C from food so I don't see a need to supplement it unless I get sick again and then I will take injections.
These are just 4 and all inexpensive - there are tons of immune supporting herbs in the world but there has to be a limit to what you take.
Good post

I too haven't been sick in years. Once you have a bug it's going to run its course no matter what. My top 5 things for prevention are as follows:

ACV twice daily, diluted with water.
Diet Tonic water.
Vit D, 7000iu daily (can go higher).
2 Oranges daily.
Sauna. I hit the sauna 2 times weekly. 15 mins in, 5 out, 15 in.

Since I started doing this I've never been sick.

It’s likely too late now, but when ever I get a bad cold the first bad day, I turn the heater up grab a blanket and cook myself over the heater vent purposely raising my body temp. Viruses grow better at certian temperatures, reason for why you get a fever, slow the virus so the body can catch up.
‘Usually after a couple days Im fine, it’s worked like a charm so far.

oh and advil cold and sinus. Not cold and flu, or another brand, Advil. That has gotten me thru numerous colds and be able to function. I take neocitron at night so I can sleep.

Good post

I too haven't been sick in years. Once you have a bug it's going to run its course no matter what. My top 5 things for prevention are as follows:

ACV twice daily, diluted with water.
Diet Tonic water.
Vit D, 7000iu daily (can go higher).
2 Oranges daily.
Sauna. I hit the sauna 2 times weekly. 15 mins in, 5 out, 15 in.

Since I started doing this I've never been sick.
I know others who believe the sauna is a great way to get your temp up and make your body a shitty place for germs and viruses. No proof but seems to halp.

I know others who believe the sauna is a great way to get your temp up and make your body a shitty place for germs and viruses. No proof but seems to halp.
Ya I've read some articles that state there's no evidence to support the thought and even some articles that even say if you are sick a sauna can make it worse but, I call BS on that.

Nothing more to add. As always, great post brother.

One thing I can add. Serapeptase is awesome for inflammation and mucus buildups. Excellent supplement to take anytime for inflammation, some tests say it’s as good as ibuprofen, but comes from silk spiders. Works very well for pain and inflammation

Lots of good advice!

Still can't kick this thing.. I know I'm past the worst of it, but last 2 days I've woken up only marginally better.. Once I'm past the worst of it I'm used to waking up feeling MUCH better each day..

Oh something else as well....lower your food intake. Not sure what phase you're in but if your craming food in your face it's going to take way longer to get over it. Let your body rest and use its energy to fight the bug not digest large amounts of food.

Yep, agreed. As soon as a scratchy throat appears.

Never tried it.. I recall 10 years ago when using it first came out and every old lady at work raved about.. I refused to try it just out of spite because how many old ladies told me "you have to try it"

Oh something else as well....lower your food intake. Not sure what phase you're in but if your craming food in your face it's going to take way longer to get over it. Let your body rest and use its energy to fight the bug not digest large amounts of food.
Starve a fever feed an illness was a thing. Now they say feed both a fever and an illness. With easily digestible foods.

Starve a fever feed an illness was a thing. Now they say feed both a fever and an illness. With easily digestible foods.
Oh ya for sure. All I'm saying is don't be pounding back 5K cals a days. That's hard enough on the body when we aren't sick nevermind when we are lol