Two day workout routine

Palmer1991

Trusted Member
So with work n all I'm just going to be working out two days a week an upper body lower body split.

Since I'm having 5 rest days, working out (lifting weights) for 2-3 hours wouldn't be overtraining right? I'd only be doing 3 exercised for both back and chest, shoulder press followed by a side then a rear delt exercise, then just one or two exercises for bi then tri, for upper body.

Then legs I'd do my usual leg day but I'd prob do my cardio after, usually I do cardio on abs/miscellaneous day

I'll just be on 125test/w

2 day a week works great. Some of my best natural gains came on 2 day a week training. I never did a upper lower body split thou. It was push/ pull but you could easily move squats to day 2

Day1

Bench/ dips
Squats
Triceps
Shoulders

Day 2

Deads
Rows
 Pullups
Biceps

So with work n all I'm just going to be working out two days a week an upper body lower body split.

Since I'm having 5 rest days, working out (lifting weights) for 2-3 hours wouldn't be overtraining right? I'd only be doing 3 exercised for both back and chest, shoulder press followed by a side then a rear delt exercise, then just one or two exercises for bi then tri, for upper body.

Then legs I'd do my usual leg day but I'd prob do my cardio after, usually I do cardio on abs/miscellaneous day

I'll just be on 125test/w
I agree, depending how you feel it might not be over training but anything over an hour get some quick digested calories like carb powder and protein shakes. I used to workout sometimes for 3 or 4 hours but I'd take a lunch break and lots of rest days. It's not optimal but better then nothing at all. I'd also save half my preworkout for the second half. I think I was doing a routine from Arnold's encyclopedia of bodybuilding too so it must have been normal to someone somewhere lol

2 day a week works great. Some of my best natural gains came on 2 day a week training. I never did a upper lower body split thou. It was push/ pull but you could easily move squats to day 2

Day1

Bench/ dips
Squats
Triceps
Shoulders

Day 2

Deads
Rows
 Pullups
Biceps

Would agree with something like this. Depends on your goals, but for me, if I were doing a 2 day only, dedicating 50% to legs is too much.

When i have a busy Jiu Jitsu week i only train twice (upper/lower)

Instead of longer duration I recommend upping the intensity

I do that with a full pause in the stretched position, not going to full lockout and drop set or rest pause on the last set of each exercise. I only rest 1:15 between sets on upper.

You get adequate stimulation

Upper takes me just over an hour. 20-21 total working sets per upper session

Try my one day split. Its the best 🤣

Shoulders x3
Chest x3
Back x3
Bis x2
Tris x2
Squats x2
Shoulders x3
Lunges x2
Traps x2
Calves x2
Abs x2

Cardio at work.

Works great for my busy life.

Note* if you dont feel like a quadriplegic for 4 hours following your session, you didnt do it right🤣

Last edited:
Try my one day split. Its the best 🤣

Shoulders x3
Chest x3
Back x3
Bis x2
Tris x2
Squats x2
Shoulders x3
Lunges x2
Traps x2
Calves x2
Abs x2

Cardio at work.

Works great for my busy life.

Note* if you dont feel like a quadriplegic for 4 hours following your session, you didnt do it right🤣
This is a good one along the lines of what I would suggest. @faller has some good full-body routines in his arsenal, and he may be able to suggest some.

I don’t think you will maintain adequate intensity training 3 hours.

Try this for a month.

day 1

deads
dips

day 2

squats
close grip pull downs.

1 set to absolute failure trying to get 6-10 reps.
Move the weight in slow fashion of about 6-2-6

I don’t think you will maintain adequate intensity training 3 hours.

Try this for a month.

day 1

deads
dips

day 2

squats
close grip pull downs.

1 set to absolute failure trying to get 6-10 reps.
Move the weight in slow fashion of about 6-2-6
@Palmer1991 Acknowledging that this post does not answer your questions, I'd suggest a different approach. The Old Guy and I seem to share something of a common perspective. "I don’t think you will maintain adequate intensity training 3 hours."

This is more in line with what I would do, have done and have coached. The basic program below won't leave you overtrained. Add in some abs, calves, arm work and even side laterals at home or at work during the day if you want, drp them if you are dragging your ass.

You don't need hardly any weight to pump those smaller muscles and you don't really need normal equipment, usually there is something laying around. Single leg calf raises til you want to cry can be done anywhere, find something to hang off for 2 minutes at a time to keep up shoulder health. A 4 litre milk jug full of water weighs about 9lbs, full of sand around 14, add water to that around 17. Plenty enough to get a pump if that's the goal , keep the muscles full and vascularity up.

The basic workout is much like what Rippetoe (love him or hate him) programs with "Starting Strength".

About 75 minutes including a general warmup before you start, maybe 90 if you need a bit more rest during the heaviest sets:

D1
Squat - Pyramid 25-8 reps , 5 sets Including warmup of 25
Low incl Bench - Pyramid down to 5 reps, 5 sets
Deads - Pyramid down to 5 reps, 5 sets
Wide Grip Pulldowns(or chins) - Pyramid down to 8 reps over 5 sets

D2
Squat - Pyramid 25-8 reps , 5 sets Including warmup of 25
Shoulder Press - Pyramid down to 8 reps, 5 sets
Your choice of Row - Bent Barbell Row Preferred - Pyramid down to 8 reps over 5 sets
Close Grip Pulldowns{or chins) Parrallel or Underhand Grip- Pyramid down to 8 reps over 5 sets

Another thought.. on these 2 training days, would you be able to do 2 sessions per day? I think that could also allow you to get more workload in
Yea I was thinking of what bigbear was saying, break it up into two by having a break where I can down some fast digested carbs then get back atter....

Yesterday I did legs and abs and today I'll do upper body, I may try some of your guys' suggestions next week. I wouldn't be able to do it twice a day as in leave and come back, my scheduling doesn't match that, but if I went to the gym and just ate some food in the waiting room halfway through for 30-45mins then jumped back in I think I'd be good. Today will be my first attempt at it.

Two days a week I don't think I see a point in doing a cycle, but I have like 500 superdrol, so like a lifetime supply lol, do you think taking 15mg on my days on and the next day off be worth it, just to get an extra kick, maybe get some better hypertrophy?
I'd be going to the gym Sundays and Mondays.... So take some sdrol- sun,Mon,Tues
Or you think it would be pointless?

Also at what point would you wear a belt for squats... When I go more than 2 plates I switch to Smythe machine squats, since I workout at a highschool/university gym the squat racks (and anything to do with legs, really) is usually empty but the Smythe machine is taken a lot so I figured I'd just stick what the squat rack but after 2.5 plates I was getting a bit nervous... Think I should get a squat belt? And if so what type of belt am I looking for? Lol