Training Lessons I have learned (add in yours)

Goldenrod

Staff member
I'm an expert of F all so these observations are from decades of injuries/training/supplements/PED's/etc.

1. Unless you are a genetic freak, you can only get stronger/bigger for so long before your body says F off. Your body needs time to rest and most refer to this as a 'deload phase'.

2. Must test boosters / supplements are shit - the return on investment is not worth it. Want to increase your test, take testosterone. Want protein - eat real food sources and yes I still use a protein powder 4-5 times a week but I would rather eat 6 eggs or a steak any day.

3. Herbs/supplements for BP, lipids, etc. help and are a good start but don't be an idiot and ignore a serous problem self treating it. Go to your doctor for professional advice.

4. You can't make large gains in short periods and expect to keep it. The average person is not built that way. You might look good for 3 months but when you start to shrink when you stop, how is your ego going to feel? Steady gains over an extended period might not make everyone take notice but some day you are going to look at a picture and realize you are bigger and in better shape than everyone around you.

5. Make a yearly plan/goals and focus on consistency. Anyone who has a well rounded diet that supplies the fuel to grow, pushes hard enough for hypertrophy, does cardio (whatever makes you happy) will look better than 90% of the population. Add in a dash of PED's and you will look better than 95% of the population.

6. Learn to listen/read other's opinions with an open mind because they may know something you don't. Information/knowledge is power.

7. When it comes to prioritizing the different aspect of growth - not sure if there is a correct answer but for me - 1. diet, 2. training, 3. proper rest, 4. PED's.

8. Its a pain and makes your workouts longer but learn mobility exercises, stretch, and find a therapy that work for you to keep you going - chiropractic adjustments, deep tissue massage, etc. as a prophylactic measure before something gives. Ex: I get a chiro adjustment once a month and deep tissue massage every two weeks now.

9. There is no easy way to achieve growth / consistent results you can keep. Therefor, consider if you want to continue looking like you do in your 20's when your in your 40's - injuries catch up and will slow you down so be wise.

1- You must constantly progress past training adaptations. You should be taking an extra rep or weight increase whenever possible, and training to a point of absolute effort every set. Maybe 5 percent of people actually “train hard”

2- Oral steroids suck. Most cycles end due to poor health markers or feelings, and orals will only speed up that process. Orals really should be reserved mostly for contest prep, with very minor exceptions.

3- Dont be afraid to up the dosage. I know this goes against board rhetoric, but I had WAY more gains at 1500mg of gear per week than I did at 5-700. Health markers really take a toll when I go past 1500mg total, but 1500 is the sweet spot with optimal gains and minimal health detriments

4- Manage estrogen, don’t take it. AI has always increased liver enzymes for me quite a bit. I’m pretty gyno prone so I’ve always just tanked my estrogen and felt fine and not worried about it. Lately I’ve been decreasing test dose and replacing it with a non aromitizing DHT like Masteron or primobolan. You still get the increased androgenics, but you can drastically reduce total AI requirement and much better manage estrogen.

5- Eat real whole foods. Don’t bulk on burgers and pizza. Keep fats and sugars low, with as minimal processed foods as possible. My digestion is WAY better with a very low fat diet. I leave fats before bed cause that’s when I have the most time until next meal.

1. Range of motion is much less that most people realize. It isn't how far you can physically move the weight but, how far the intended muscle you training can move from maximum stretch to peak contraction.

2. Eat you vegetables even during bulking. It will improve your entire digestive system and overall health.

3. Take more rest days.

4. Run longer cycles with lower doses for maximum results while remaining healthy .

I'm an expert of F all so these observations are from decades of injuries/training/supplements/PED's/etc.

1. Unless you are a genetic freak, you can only get stronger/bigger for so long before your body says F off. Your body needs time to rest and most refer to this as a 'deload phase'.

2. Must test boosters / supplements are shit - the return on investment is not worth it. Want to increase your test, take testosterone. Want protein - eat real food sources and yes I still use a protein powder 4-5 times a week but I would rather eat 6 eggs or a steak any day.

3. Herbs/supplements for BP, lipids, etc. help and are a good start but don't be an idiot and ignore a serous problem self treating it. Go to your doctor for professional advice.

4. You can't make large gains in short periods and expect to keep it. The average person is not built that way. You might look good for 3 months but when you start to shrink when you stop, how is your ego going to feel? Steady gains over an extended period might not make everyone take notice but some day you are going to look at a picture and realize you are bigger and in better shape than everyone around you.

5. Make a yearly plan/goals and focus on consistency. Anyone who has a well rounded diet that supplies the fuel to grow, pushes hard enough for hypertrophy, does cardio (whatever makes you happy) will look better than 90% of the population. Add in a dash of PED's and you will look better than 95% of the population.

6. Learn to listen/read other's opinions with an open mind because they may know something you don't. Information/knowledge is power.

7. When it comes to prioritizing the different aspect of growth - not sure if there is a correct answer but for me - 1. diet, 2. training, 3. proper rest, 4. PED's.

8. Its a pain and makes your workouts longer but learn mobility exercises, stretch, and find a therapy that work for you to keep you going - chiropractic adjustments, deep tissue massage, etc. as a prophylactic measure before something gives. Ex: I get a chiro adjustment once a month and deep tissue massage every two weeks now.

9. There is no easy way to achieve growth / consistent results you can keep. Therefor, consider if you want to continue looking like you do in your 20's when your in your 40's - injuries catch up and will slow you down so be wise.
This list is incredible. I want to print this out and put it up in my office as a reminder. Cheers brother.

Consistancy.

I would bet as long as you 80% everything all the time, you would be way farther ahead than 100% inconsistently.

Building muscle is like grinding in a video game to level up your player. It’s not really that much fun, but like your video game character, after you do, you reap the rewards.

I see Cumminstech2 and i realize once again we are all very different. I know CT2 has deep knowledge and is a grinder.
For me....
1. i need low carbs and high fats. I am full, no insulin peaks and valleys etc. I do carbs, Low GI, High GI anything with many carbs and i get inflammation and different softer look to my body.

2. Switch up between higher reps and semi high weight and lower reps and less volume overall and high go to dead failure once body is tired from the latter, go back to the former.

3. Your gut needs time off as well to process efficiently and effectively and enable good healing and function. Intermittent fasting is something i used to think was ridiculous and no way i can miss a meal. Well i can miss meals and then make up for it after with gut processing more effectively. I only eat for 12 hours and fast for 12 hours, opposed to eating for 16-18 hours and resting from food 6-8 hours.

4. Repeat of GR statement as it is important. Try hard to leave our ego out of the equation and listen to others theories as well, you may find merit and a key you require. I need to reset myself now and again for this.
I will come back later and add some more.

I see Cumminstech2 and i realize once again we are all very different. I know CT2 has deep knowledge and is a grinder.
For me....
1. i need low carbs and high fats. I am full, no insulin peaks and valleys etc. I do carbs, Low GI, High GI anything with many carbs and i get inflammation and different softer look to my body.

2. Switch up between higher reps and semi high weight and lower reps and less volume overall and high go to dead failure once body is tired from the latter, go back to the former.

3. Your gut needs time off as well to process efficiently and effectively and enable good healing and function. Intermittent fasting is something i used to think was ridiculous and no way i can miss a meal. Well i can miss meals and then make up for it after with gut processing more effectively. I only eat for 12 hours and fast for 12 hours, opposed to eating for 16-18 hours and resting from food 6-8 hours.

4. Repeat of GR statement as it is important. Try hard to leave our ego out of the equation and listen to others theories as well, you may find merit and a key you require. I need to reset myself now and again for this.
I will come back later and add some more.
Spot on with Number 3

1. Range of motion is much less that most people realize. It isn't how far you can physically move the weight but, how far the intended muscle you training can move from maximum stretch to peak contraction.

2. Eat you vegetables even during bulking. It will improve your entire digestive system and overall health.

3. Take more rest days.

4. Run longer cycles with lower doses for maximum results while remaining healthy .
#3 agree to many people on cycle want to train everyday and I tore a tendon being a dumb fuck.

some amazing points here.
My biggest one is as you get older... learn to train accordingly..... your body is beat uo and can't handle the abuse it did in our 20s and 30s....

My biggest thing is isolation exercises to pre exhaust... then you don't have to lift as heavy on the big compound moves... but still get a great pump.
it's saves the joints and ligaments/tendons.
Listen to your body... don't be afraid of machine lifts as we get older

All really awesome points I need to absorb all this. Some of my lessons I've learned are stick to certain workouts for long enough to get results. I used to switch it up every couple weeks and didn't see a lot of progress. Also I don't do much if anything with my 1rm I'm not a powerlifter so maybe I would I don't know but I sacrificed form to go heavier so much that it hindered my gains and usually always got injuries

1. Your going to fail, multiple times, your going to gain your going to loose, learn your body, do your blood work , personally iv failed 100s of times, thought i knew myself, and hit a wall, keep at it, dont quit, and dont let people drag you down, the people who drag you down get rid of them.

2.Be proud of your accomplishments. This should be for you.

last nights back-workout. Never quit be your best.
Picsart_22-01-17_21-08-17-856.jpg

1. Take the time to stretch, work on mobility especially rotator-cuffs, and recovery using bands / foam rolling / lacrosse ball rolling.

2. Get at least 10000 steps per day minimum.

3. Really focus on the muscle you're trying to work, if that means lowering the weight, slowing down the reps, then do it.

My list is a mile long.... I wouldn't even know how to start it to be honest. But this post did make me sit back and realize how much I have learned since picking up my first "real" weight 25 years ago. I Actually can't even get my head around how much I've built my knowledge base..

I will say one thing, there are some standard lessons/guidelines/rules that apply to all of us, but there is also a good chunk that only apply to some of us.. And what's becoming more obvious to me is that some rules don't apply until your middle age lol..

1. Your going to fail, multiple times, your going to gain your going to loose, learn your body, do your blood work , personally iv failed 100s of times, thought i knew myself, and hit a wall, keep at it, dont quit, and dont let people drag you down, the people who drag you down get rid of them.

2.Be proud of your accomplishments. This should be for you.

last nights back-workout. Never quit be your best.
View attachment 37425
Jesus fuck ur an animal

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk