Suggestions for affordable protein sources? :)

Searching around I found 5lb containers of Casein for $30 and Whey for $20 so I loaded up. Kijiji believe it or not for some of it!! My belief in "Best Before Date" depends on what the item is. For protein powder I believe it's just a suggestion 😉
I can guarntee you that protien doesn’t degrade as long as it’s kept dry.
We use isolate whey and isolated soy protein in certain types of sausage. Right now I’m finishing of a bag of isolated soy protein that is 6 years old. Binds exactly the same way as it did new.

Just keep it dry.

Sip a big carton of egg whites every day if your stomach can handle it. Add some sugar free chocolate syrup and it will taste just like a chocolate milkshake.

Imagine brand bone broth under 4 dollar at Walmart. 9 grams of protein per cup. Replace it with water for your rice and add lentils for a poor man’s protein meal. The rice and lentils together will make a complete protein.

Sometimes I just go to China Town here in Toronto, you can often get good deals on things. Ive seen Lean Ground Pork for $2.99 a pound. Ground Chicken for $3.99 a pound. But I guess it depends where you live.

There is another grocery here in Toronto (Nations) That often has Salmon for around $7-8 a pound. In a city like Toronto, you just need to shop around and know where has the best deals.

Sip a big carton of egg whites every day if your stomach can handle it. Add some sugar free chocolate syrup and it will taste just like a chocolate milkshake.

Imagine brand bone broth under 4 dollar at Walmart. 9 grams of protein per cup. Replace it with water for your rice and add lentils for a poor man’s protein meal. The rice and lentils together will make a complete protein.
last time I did this my wife almost left me. Whole house smelt way different lol

Most people will get very gaseous on raw egg whites from improper digestion.

Sometimes I just go to China Town here in Toronto, you can often get good deals on things. Ive seen Lean Ground Pork for $2.99 a pound. Ground Chicken for $3.99 a pound. But I guess it depends where you live.

There is another grocery here in Toronto (Nations) That often has Salmon for around $7-8 a pound. In a city like Toronto, you just need to shop around and know where has the best deals.
Meow Meow

I was stunned when I saw the protein in Bone Broth. It was only about a year ago, crazy that I missed that for that many years, I saw it in some recipe, thought it was a typo, easy adder.

Real good point about food combining to get complete proteins. I hadn't thought about it in a while because I use complete sources. This thread got me thinking about it again so I just looked it up before I came here to see what combinations could be done.

Google produced a bunch of articles that claimed it's been debunked. What The Fuck. Pretty loose use of the word, especially as far as bodybuilding goes. It may not matter as much if you are a 105lb or 240lb vegan with blue hair, dirty legs and a lip ring but if you seek muscle and performance that's another deal, Leucine is a good example. Your gonna struggle if you don't hit the minimum bolus of that a few times a day.

I don’t skimp when it comes to protein sources. Food is more than just calories. Eat quality sourced protein sources to maintain a healthy gut. That’s a very important aspect of building a physique. An unhealthy gut will lead to poor digestion and absorption of nutrients. You may be fine now, but years of slamming low quality food will catch up to you.

I eat mainly chicken breast, currently I’ve found Farm boy to be the best quality. It even beats my local butcher. I think it’s 8.99/lb when it’s not on sale. Besides that I’ll eat wild sockeye (unfortunately have to buy it frozen most of the year because you’ll only find it fresh seasonally). If I’m doing beef, I’ve found grass fed to be worth it.

I know this doesn’t really answer your question, but it think you should really consider investing in higher quality if you could make it happen.
Thank you for sharing! In all honesty, I'm sick of chugging down canned tuna down my throat and I want to start eating better eventually. It's just that fresh meat isn't affordable for me in Vancouver lol. Now I'm trying to work 7 days a week so I can afford the food, supplements, juice, and rent. :)

As a poor student, I got you.

Buy by the whole chicken. Buy 2 weeks worth at a time. Take a sunday afternoon to clean them all up, cook enough for a few days and freeze the rest.

Fattier ground beef in a tube. Not luxury, not appetizing, but protein. Strain it if you’re worried about the fat content. If you’re extra, run it under hot water, less fat but also no flavour.

White fish bought local is both cheaper if bought with cash (no taxes for the fisherman,) and also super fresh usually.

Plan your shopping, look at the flyers around town. $2.50/lbs chicken breast 1 day flash sale? Fill the freezer.

Pork is your best friend. Pork roasts are often on sale. Throw it in a slow cooker and boom, effortless meat for meals.

Lastly, beans man. A can of beans can be as cheap as $0.99, and packed with protein.

Living on a budget is tough brother I get it. Quality unfortunately can’t be chosen over quantity in my case, so I just make do with what I can.
Thank you for sharing! With your guidance, I shall stop my canned tuna cope and start eating affordable quality meat. Canned beans sound good too.

It’s not meat , but when I was a young guy like in my early 20s I would mix beans and lentils .
Lentils is like 60g carbs per cup and 20 grams protein and black beans is like the same carbs I think and maybe 18 grams of protein I would have to double check it’s been a long time , but a meal like that costs about 50 cents all in .
Why haven't I thought of lentils earlier? I could cook a pot of lentils and rice, beans, and eggs. Then I can portion it into how many servings I need to eat during the day.

I eat a lot of pork loin that I cut into chops usually buy it between 5 and 8 dollars per kg

I don't remember and didn't re read sll the posts but I've been going to revolution nutrition online. Seems decent you can get a 10lb protein powder for 120$ ish. They offer free gifts and things too. Creatine or shaker cups etc..

Supplementsource.ca right now has 10 -12lbs bags of protien as we speak for 50$ for 10 lbs and 60$ for 12 lbs . I love that stuff. Its allmax quick mass .. but they have others on sale right now also .. They expire in a few months that's why the sale . I'll use it before it expires though..https://supplementsource.ca/collections/clearance/products/allmax-quickmass-10lb

I probably already said this but depending on your time to cook/eat - with work and life I find making one quick meal is great which I will list and a medley of items cooked for approximately 5-10 meals.
1. I'm not a nutritionist but eggs (whole eggs) don't scare me. You can scramble 6 whole eggs is 5 minutes easy. As for affordable - find a farmer who is local and has free range chickens and sells their eggs. It is considerably less expensive and I suspect healthier than store bought. A quick meal for me may be a few table spoons of almonds - has protein and carbs, 6 whole eggs scrambled (30 grams of protein) and depending on your goals I like to have either a piece of fruit or veg I can eat on the go. Not only are you getting a fair amount of protein but there are a decent amount of calories. Want more calories and healthy fats, add a tablespoon of EVOO.

2. I will often cook up extra lean ground beef (the comment was affordable) or top sirloin steak which is reasonable priced and cut up the steak in little pieces. Cook up a bunch of lentils and throw some veggies in the pot if you want too. Cook enough rice so you will get 5-10 meals out of it and mix it up with herbs that you like. I'm not a picky eater but I like steak/ground beef, lentils, white rice, a few carrots, broccoli or asparagus, herbs - mix it up and put it in a container and put in the fridge.

When your in a rush, grab a few cups of the mix (microwave or heat it up on the stove) and eat on the run if you have to. The overall cost per meal isn't bad.

I would much rather sit down and have a rib eye steak with asparagus and a cup of rice but don't always have the time and the steaks are expensive.

Eggs are my go to for a lot of protein. I eat them raw or scrambled and yes we have all read raw has less protein. I eat at least 2 dozen eggs a week if not more. I'm busy as F a lot and quick meals are important if I want to get 4-6 meals a day. I could figure out the macros but I'm too lazy right now. You are supposed to eat slower and digestion is very important but life isn't perfect and I'm not going on stage so calories/protein and a healthy diet is important. We are talking about cost but I often buy digestive enzymes and take them a few times a day, Does it help - not sure and they can be expensive.

@BanditNOLIMIT made a very important point about a healthy guy. A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and fermented foods like sauerkraut will help digestion/gut health.

Best bang for your buck is lean ground pork. If it’s too porky, cut it 1/2 with lean ground beef. Then you have a good ground for about 3.99/lb

I just realized nowhere did he say protien powder and was referring to food? Oh I'm smart 🤓