Sprain wrist or something

Palmer1991

Trusted Member
So I hurt my wrist on Thursday I was just doing an incline db press and as I was grabbing the weights on the ground, while I was sitting on the bench, I pulled both db's up at the same time and the db on the right hit my leg while I was pulling it up and my wrist twisted a little and did a pop sound. And it hurt, It didn't do a whole lot in terms of swelling and I couldn't twist my wrist and clenching anything without my hand hurting, so I haven't been to the gym and I barely been using it.

Since it didn't swell I'm thinking maybe I'm being too cautious on this. I can hold on to things and I can twist it a little before it hurts, now that a few days has passed. Should I still not do anything heavy with it or u think this is one of those injuries I can just suck it up n it'll get better regardless?

So I hurt my wrist on Thursday I was just doing an incline db press and as I was grabbing the weights on the ground, while I was sitting on the bench, I pulled both db's up at the same time and the db on the right hit my leg while I was pulling it up and my wrist twisted a little and did a pop sound. And it hurt, It didn't do a whole lot in terms of swelling and I couldn't twist my wrist and clenching anything without my hand hurting, so I haven't been to the gym and I barely been using it.

Since it didn't swell I'm thinking maybe I'm being too cautious on this. I can hold on to things and I can twist it a little before it hurts, now that a few days has passed. Should I still not do anything heavy with it or u think this is one of those injuries I can just suck it up n it'll get better regardless?
Give it a week or 10.days you can always put the extra effort into food cardio lower body etc. Never a good idea to train through the pain with joints. Let it heal properly so you don't develop a chronic injury.

Give it a week or 10.days you can always put the extra effort into food cardio lower body etc. Never a good idea to train through the pain with joints. Let it heal properly so you don't develop a chronic injury.
That's what I figured but since it didn't swell much I was thinking maybe I was just being a bitch or something lol

I keep it simple, if it really hurts stop, if not keep doing what you’re doing. If it’s just uncomfortable use it but take note what movements are irritating. Ice it, which you’ve probably done anyway, and move it around. The worst thing you can do is having it completely immobile, unless it’s really painful of course then you’ll want to take it to the next lvl, doc, xrays etc.

muscle tissues scraping did wonders for me. healed up my tennis/golf elbow when IMS and other methods did not work

If you heard a pop or snap - I would head to a doctor and get it checked out. @faller made excellent suggestions.
Not always but when you hear a snap, and if you hear it once you will know the noise, it can be a tendon or ligament tearing or getting ripped off the bone. I know guys who did not go the doctor the tendon curled up too much and they could not operate or so my friend tells me. I know other guys who had the bicep tendon tear doing DL's and had surgery and are fine.
Maybe it is nothing - I didn't hear the noise but if your in the gym and you hear that noise once, even if it isn't you, you know something is wrong.
I have never heard of a tear in that area but I have injured my wrists multiple times. Just being cautious and would hate to see you do more damage and become a chronic issue. A few days to weeks is nothing in this sport. If you have been doing this long enough you know the difference between bad pain and good pain.
Hope you recover quickly.

I did legs yesterday. I was a bit nervous about squats just cause I'd be holding the barbell but it was fine. I'm still undecided if I'm gunna hit chest today. If I do I won't be using dbs

I don’t know if I’d go back to crushing heavy weights. Especially if you’re having difficulties rotating your hand, or if you’re having issues with your range of motion. Maybe start with some stretching, and some gentle wrist exercises (flexion, extension, radial deviation, ulnar deviation, pronation, and supination). Better to voluntarily take a week off with a minor injury, than to be forced to take a few months off with a serious one IMO.

I don’t know if I’d go back to crushing heavy weights. Especially if you’re having difficulties rotating your hand, or if you’re having issues with your range of motion. Maybe start with some stretching, and some gentle wrist exercises (flexion, extension, radial deviation, ulnar deviation, pronation, and supination). Better to voluntarily take a week off with a minor injury, than to be forced to take a few months off with a serious one IMO.
I did chest yesterday and I stopped halfway through cause my wrist was getting a bit irritated and I just stuck with cables and machines.
I went early too, felt like an entirely different gym. Different staff, different people in the gym. Felt weird. I woke up insanely early yesterday, 930, so I was hours ahead of my usual schedule 😋

I've dealt with wrist injuries in the past from calisthenics. Take some time off, see if it hurts under low load if not keep progressing untill you reach your limit. Do not agitate it too much by pushing through stuff but if its minor pain doing something is always better than doing nothing. Additionally, if its serious find out what is actually injured I found out my wrist injury was to the TFCC and helped me recover 10x faster as I knew how to rehab it much better.

I did chest yesterday and I stopped halfway through cause my wrist was getting a bit irritated and I just stuck with cables and machines.
I went early too, felt like an entirely different gym. Different staff, different people in the gym. Felt weird. I woke up insanely early yesterday, 930, so I was hours ahead of my usual schedule 😋
Palmer - there is good pain from a great leg workout with no injuries but it appears you recognize this isn't that scenario. Take time off and if you know a good physical therapist, preferably someone who trains and has been injured, go and get properly diagnosed and a treatment plan. A few weeks off isn't going to make a difference in your journey - injuries are part of this sport. I take weeks off every few months, at my age I can not do months of progressive overload (3-5), I need to take a break and keep eating, stretching, and do rep training. Just something I learned over the years. When I was younger I thought I could get stronger endlessly and it just ended in injuries - I still have my journals and I laugh at myself thinking I could do it.
I believe in active healing - with injuries, pending the guy I visit - I often have a plan or a few days rest, then stretching, and very light exercises and train your legs and body parts you can that does not aggravate your wrist which may not be any other than leg exercises.
If you keep pushing this and work out hoping it will just get better, you could get lucky and it will but more than likely you will be left with a partially healed wrist that will bother you for years and will become chronic. There are so many therapies, it doesn't make sense to list them all but for example I have a lot of balls/foam rollers and find this therapy helpful and it cost nothing except the original cost of the therapy balls/foam rolls, etc.

Best of luck getting better.

i try not to use wraps but i guess you are pressing heavier weights?
I don't press too heavy, I like to do 8-12 reps on bench but I start wrapping my wrists at my 225 warmup, I could probably rep out 275-300 without too much pain but my right thumb has been broken before and once it's aggravated it's pain is persistent so I just play it safe.

The only thing weirder is when you go at a different time and all the same people are there 🤯

If you heard a pop or snap - I would head to a doctor and get it checked out.
x2. The biggest benefit of living in Canada is healthcare.

I do remember hearing that with tendon breaks and tears if they don't get it reattached in a reasonable amount of time the muscle atrophies too short and they can't reattach it. might suck to lose one of the smaller supporting muscles in your arm because you were allergic to doctors. Just sayin'.

The only thing weirder is when you go at a different time and all the same people are there 🤯
Always happens. I'll go usually around 7pm but sometimes at 1:30pm and occasionally at like 10pm but I always see the same people. It's just a glitch in the matrix.

I don't press too heavy, I like to do 8-12 reps on bench but I start wrapping my wrists at my 225 warmup, I could probably rep out 275-300 without too much pain but my right thumb has been broken before and once it's aggravated it's pain is persistent so I just play it safe.
Lol, 225 WARMUP
On barbell that's close enough to the max of do (275), then I switch to Smythe machine.

I'm surprised no one called me out on saying waking up at 930 is insanely early :p

Lol, 225 WARMUP
On barbell that's close enough to the max of do (275), then I switch to Smythe machine.

I'm surprised no one called me out on saying waking up at 930 is insanely early :p
I usually work with less than 300lbs

I thought 930 sounds late, not early but didn't say anything, everyone has different schedules.