Question for anyone with coaching education (anarobic vs aerobic )

Bigbear

The Kodiak
Trusted Member
My question is can anarobic and aerobic energy systems be activated simultaneously? Specificly I do anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour of what I would call somewhat high intensity but it's not exactly hiit. I do say 10 rounds of 3 minutes bouts at as high intensity as I can put out then rest for one minute. Would this activate both systems because it's higher heart rate then steady state zone 2 cardio ( possibly out of then aerobic zone) but I also have a higher work to rest ratio of 3:1 so there's not a lot of recovery time to get back to too low of a heart rate. I want to blend the two for time reasons and weather I don't feel like adding an extra half hour every day of jogging. I know you could shadow box along to a metronome and stay at a steady state but I'd rather not waste the half hour on just that.

My question is can anarobic and aerobic energy systems be activated simultaneously? Specificly I do anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour of what I would call somewhat high intensity but it's not exactly hiit. I do say 10 rounds of 3 minutes bouts at as high intensity as I can put out then rest for one minute. Would this activate both systems because it's higher heart rate then steady state zone 2 cardio ( possibly out of then aerobic zone) but I also have a higher work to rest ratio of 3:1 so there's not a lot of recovery time to get back to too low of a heart rate. I want to blend the two for time reasons and weather I don't feel like adding an extra half hour every day of jogging. I know you could shadow box along to a metronome and stay at a steady state but I'd rather not waste the half hour on just that.
Yes. There are two stages of anaerobic, anaerobic "fuels" are initially exhausted in seconds in the first stage and a minute or two in the second stage assuming decent intensity. After that initial clearing you'll be in an aerobic state while at the same time your body is in a kind of recycling mode replenishing those fuels and clearing waste products at the same time. The recycling speeds up the more you rest.

As usual it's way more complicated than that, if you are doing something simpler like bench press it's very easy to have basic awareness of these stages happening. Like how you finally feel ready to start the next set. Your HR and breathing slow down because demand for oxygen lessens and local fuel stores for build as that system gets you ready for another burst. Full recovery takes way longer though, that's (partly) why you are dragging yer ass for a couple of days.

Yes. There are two stages of anaerobic, anaerobic "fuels" are initially exhausted in seconds in the first stage and a minute or two in the second stage assuming decent intensity. After that initial clearing you'll be in an aerobic state while at the same time your body is in a kind of recycling mode replenishing those fuels and clearing waste products at the same time. The recycling speeds up the more you rest.

As usual it's way more complicated than that, if you are doing something simpler like bench press it's very easy to have basic awareness of these stages happening. Like how you finally feel ready to start the next set. Your HR and breathing slow down because demand for oxygen lessens and local fuel stores for build as that system gets you ready for another burst. Full recovery takes way longer though, that's (partly) why you are dragging yer ass for a couple of days.
I'm just wondering if say all my rest periods are 1 minute and my heart rate stays in zone 2 or roughly 108bpm over the entire session all the minutes in zone 2 do they add up to a consecutive amount of aerobic work? I think the point of not fully recovering to a resting heart beat would make it count because of the oxygen needed but I may be sacrificing time in my max heart rate zone because without the rest I can't max out as well amd for as long. The reason why I'm confused is because I use a fit bit but it doesn't calculate these things it says the amount of time done snd the different zones I hit but not how much time spent in each or anything else. I think in the future I might try the woop band.

I'm just wondering if say all my rest periods are 1 minute and my heart rate stays in zone 2 or roughly 108bpm over the entire session all the minutes in zone 2 do they add up to a consecutive amount of aerobic work? I think the point of not fully recovering to a resting heart beat would make it count because of the oxygen needed but I may be sacrificing time in my max heart rate zone because without the rest I can't max out as well amd for as long. The reason why I'm confused is because I use a fit bit but it doesn't calculate these things it says the amount of time done snd the different zones I hit but not how much time spent in each or anything else. I think in the future I might try the woop band.

I like this road you are on and how much you already know about it. Your knowledge is based on info a lot more current than mine. You are squeezing a lot of those final little percentages out of what you are doing. My favorite part is that you have the core, simple parts nailed while not getting lost in the details.

And I would say yes, they all could be considered to add up. Any data observed through a wrist strap or other means would still need a healthy dose of human interpretation specific to your goals, It looks to me like you got these things all covered - "What's the goal?" "Is the program beneficial towards that goal?" and "Practice like you play" which is what I dumb it down to.

I like this road you are on and how much you already know about it. Your knowledge is based on info a lot more current than mine. You are squeezing a lot of those final little percentages out of what you are doing. My favorite part is that you have the core, simple parts nailed while not getting lost in the details.

And I would say yes, they all could be considered to add up. Any data observed through a wrist strap or other means would still need a healthy dose of human interpretation specific to your goals, It looks to me like you got these things all covered - "What's the goal?" "Is the program beneficial towards that goal?" and "Practice like you play" which is what I dumb it down to.
Exactly. And thanks for that man I appreciate that.