OntarioDude's Log

Hammer curls low weight/high reps is one of my favourite arm exercises. I also like hammer preacher curls, they feel great. A combination that I've been doing recently is starting with reverse barbell curls then followed by hammer curls with 3 sec negative. FIRE đź’Ą

I like them as long as my forearms allow me to do them - especially after the curling. May have to throw in some of those reverse curls like you mentioned as I don't think I've done those for like 20+ years.

Just a thought about reverse curls.

Fuck Reverse Curls.

Just a feeling I get from being around the game for a while.
Hammer curls where the thumb is pointing up the whole time may well be the best isolation exercise for biceps there is but pronating the hands further like you would have to to grip a straight or ez curl bar with palms facing down puts a ton of unnecessary stress on all the soft tissues of the forearms and elbows. It just puts everything under weird stresses that none of the arm muscles are ready to handle, yes Tri's too. My belief is that this leads to damage and things like tendonosis and elbow problems (fuck you and fuck your elbow! :) ).

You might not feel any issues until you are old but it's happening and if you ask anyone who has had it tennis/golfers/dickpullers elbow is fucking painful, really fucks with your quality of life and can be extremely difficult to overcome.

I say unnecessary because there are plenty of other ways to work the muscles you are trying to target that don't come with these inherent risks.

Just a thought about reverse curls.

Fuck Reverse Curls.

Just a feeling I get from being around the game for a while.
Hammer curls where the thumb is pointing up the whole time may well be the best isolation exercise for biceps there is but pronating the hands further like you would have to to grip a straight or ez curl bar with palms facing down puts a ton of unnecessary stress on all the soft tissues of the forearms and elbows. It just puts everything under weird stresses that none of the arm muscles are ready to handle, yes Tri's too. My belief is that this leads to damage and things like tendonosis and elbow problems (fuck you and fuck your elbow! :) ).

You might not feel any issues until you are old but it's happening and if you ask anyone who has had it tennis/golfers/dickpullers elbow is fucking painful, really fucks with your quality of life and can be extremely difficult to overcome.

I say unnecessary because there are plenty of other ways to work the muscles you are trying to target that don't come with these inherent risks.
Here comes @gondar1 pooping all over the reverse curls đź’© You are right in what you're saying but I do them light as per JM's instructions. Great way to warm up for arm day (I think).

Hello Canadian Brawners;

Today was Chest Day and I completed 4-6 sets per exercise and 4-15 reps (or more until failure) with some super sets and drop sets on the following exercises:
  • Flat Bench Press - stayed with sets at 375 Lbs.
  • Hammer Strength Iso Lateral Incline Bench - up to 3 plates per side (6 total)
  • Cable Cross-Overs - up to 65 Lbs. per side
  • Machine Peck Deck Flyes - up to stack (300 Lbs.)
Tomorrow is Back Day.

Thank you,

OD

Hey there Brawners;

Today was Back Day and I completed 3-6 sets per exercise and 4-15 reps (or more until failure) with some drop sets and super sets on the following exercises:
  • Lat Pulldowns - up to stack (260 Lbs.)
  • Seated Cable Low Rows - up to stack (260 Lbs.) plus two extra weights added
  • Seated Lat Pullover Machine - up to stack (230 Lbs.)
  • One Arm Iso-Lateral High Rows - up to 4 plates (8 total)
  • Standing Machine Shrugs - up to 5 plates (10 total)
I wanted to get some deadlifts in but I was rushed for time due to gym hours and two people were using two separate pieces of equipment that I needed so it slowed me down a little. I will plan do Deadlifts next week along with some Meadows Rows perhaps.

I crammed my workout into less than an hour so the rest & recovery periods were minimal between sets this time which was nice for a change although I was dripping with sweat.

Tomorrow is rest / cardio day.

Thank you,

OD

Hello;

I had a rest day yesterday and completed two cardio sessions, one am session for 20 mins. and one pm session for 30 mins.

Tomorrow is Shoulders / Upper Abs Day

Thank you,

OD

Hi there Canadian Brawners;

Today was Shoulder & Abs Day and I completed 4-6 sets per exercise and 4-15 reps (or more until failure) with some drop sets and super sets on the following exercises:
  • Iso-lateral Shoulder Press - up to 4 plates (8 total)
  • Lateral Machine Shoulder Raises - up to stack (110 Lbs.)
  • Dumbbell Shoulder Raises (front) - up to 50 Lbs. dumbbells
  • Reverse Machine Flyes - up to 240 Lbs.
  • Fitness Ball Crunches - 25 x 6 (upper Abs focus)
Tomorrow is Bi's & Tri's Day with Lower Abs focus.

Thank you,

OD

I can’t believe I missed this.

After looking at your pics I need to just train shoulders and legs to catch up, lol.

I can’t believe I missed this.

After looking at your pics I need to just train shoulders and legs to catch up, lol.

Thanks Brother - and here I was working on chest, back, arms, abs & my tan to try to catch up to you. :D

My legs are still a work in progress (along with everything else of course) but I'll get some pics up eventually. I just need a longer mirror to take a pic properly. :)

Cheers,

OD

Thanks Brother - and here I was working on chest, back, arms, abs & my tan to try to catch up to you. :D

My legs are still a work in progress (along with everything else of course) but I'll get some pics up eventually. I just need a longer mirror to take a pic properly. :)

Cheers,

OD
Dude you are more muscular than me, lol. But looking at the size of your shoulders to the rest of you, makes me feel the need to really work mine more. But thanks for the complement though :)

I am also following your log and watching the amount of weight you use to give me a goal to work towards. It’s too bad I don’t have access to some of the machines you use, because I could really use a change in exercises.

And yeah you really need a tan bad. Lol. You know you look a lot leaner with a tan, bwahaaa

Hello Brawners;

I completed supersets and drop sets last night with 4-6 sets per exercise and 6-15 reps (or more until failure) on the following:
  • French Press - up to stack 210 Lbs. + 45 lb. plate
  • EZ Bar Curls - up to 165 Lbs.
  • Tricep Pushdowns - up to stack 210 Lbs. + 45 lb. plate
  • Alternating Dumbell Curls - up to 60 Lbs. (didn't go heavier due to sore forearms)
  • Dips - Bodyweight until failure
  • Hammer Curls - (skipped these due to sore forearms - especially after the heavier EZ Bar Curls)
  • Incline Leg Raises 25 x 4
Today is rest /cardio day...

Thank you,

OD

Hi Canadian Brawners;

Yesterday (Thurs.) was Rest / Cardio Day and I completed 35 minutes of cardio.

Today was Leg Day and I completed 4-6 sets per exercise and 6-15 reps (or more until failure) with some drop sets and super sets on the following exercises:
  • Hack Squats - up to 5 plates per side (10 total)
  • Leg Press - up to 8 plates per side (16 total)
  • Leg Press Calf Raises - up to 8 plates per side (16 total)
  • Seated Calf Raises - up to 6 plates
  • Leg Extensions - up to stack (240 lbs.)
  • Leg Curls - up to stack (160 lbs.)
A kind and generous forum member (thanks again - you know who you are) donated some used knee sleeves to me to try but I haven't been able to pick them up yet. Therefore, as mentioned before, my knees will now be shot until next week's Leg Day again but that's still okay. I am looking forward to trying out the knee sleeves next week and getting some relief though. I didn't get to try the bands yet either unfortunately.

Tomorrow is rest / light cardio day.

Thank you,

OD

Hello Brawners:

Okay, I've been busy this week but it's time to quickly catch up... I also plan to update my Genetec DHB Tester Review Log a.s.a.p..

Saturday:
I had a rest /cardio day and completed 35 minutes of cardio.

Sunday: Chest
I completed 4-6 sets per exercise and 4-15 reps (or more until failure) with some super sets and drop sets on the following exercises:
  • Cable Cross-Overs - up to 65 Lbs. per side (hit one side at a time to get a better range of motion and squeeze on the concentric)
  • Machine Peck Deck Flyes - up to stack (300 Lbs.) - with drop sets until failure.

Monday:

Tuesday: Back
I completed 3-6 sets per exercise and 4-15 reps (or more until failure) with some drop sets and super sets on the following exercises:
  • Seated Cable Low Rows - up to stack (260 Lbs.)
I wanted to get some Deadlifts and Meadows Rows in but I was rushed for time again. I'm planning to do them next week now instead. I still threw in lots of extra drops sets though.

Wednesday:

Thursday: Shoulder & Upper Abs focus
I completed 4-6 sets per exercise and 4-15 reps (or more until failure) with some drop sets and super sets on the following exercises:
  • Reverse Machine Flyes - up to stack (300 Lbs.)
  • Fitness Ball Crunches - 25 x 6 (Upper Abs focus)

Today (Friday): Today will be Bi's / Tri's / Lower Abs focus

Thank you,

OD

Hi there Canadian Brawners;

Yesterday (Friday):
I completed supersets and drop sets last night with 4-6 sets per exercise and 6-15 reps (or more until failure) on the following:
  • French Press - up to stack 210 Lbs. + 45 lb. plate
  • EZ Bar Curls - up to 165 Lbs.
  • Tricep Pushdowns - up to stack 210 Lbs. + 45 lb. plate
  • Alternating Dumbell Curls - up to 70 Lbs.
  • Dips - Bodyweight until failure
  • Hammer Curls - stayed at 40 Lbs. (to prevent irritating forearms more after heavy curling)
  • Incline Leg Raises 25 x 4

Today (Saturday):
I had a rest / cardio day and completed 35 minutes of cardio.

Coming Soon...
Tomorrow (Sunday) is Leg Day.

Thank you,

OD

Hi there fellow Brawners;

Yesterday (Sunday): Leg Day
I completed 4-6 sets per exercise and 6-15 reps (or more until failure) with some drop sets and super sets on the following exercises:
  • Leg Extensions - stayed at 160 lbs. (to prevent irritating my knees as much this week)
As mentioned before, a kind and generous forum member ( thanks again - you know who you are :) ) donated some used knee sleeves to me to try. I was able to use them yesterday but my knees were still sore from last week's leg workout. They kept everything nice and warmed up so I'm sure I benefitted fro them but will have to use them for a few more workouts to realize all the benefits and get some pain relief in my knees.

I think if I didn't have these knee issues I could squat many more plates since the weight feels fairly easy for me and my quads aren't usually sore after at all. It's just the knee pain slowing me down or holding me back. I'm looking forward to getting my knees back in order soon. I may have to sacrifice a leg workout and do lighter weights for a week or two or skip the leg extensions until they no longer hurt.

I didn't get to try the bands yet either unfortunately but will give them a go also.

Today (Monday):
I have a rest / cardio day.

Thank you & keep on pumpin' iron,

OD

OD,

I've been using bands for the past 6 months in pretty much every workout usually a couple times a month (it's easy to overtraining with them). They're AWESOME.

Recently I've been using them on the hack squat, you can rig them up so they help you out at the bottom and you can load up more plates. Also had them strapped up to the leg press which adds resistance right at the top. Whatever exercise/machine you can think of, I've probably wrapped it up with bands. Got alot of this from JM, he uses bands sporadically throughout his programs.

Believe he may have got the idea from Louie @ Westside Barbell (not sure if you have seen the movie Westside vs the world, but you should check it out).

Hello Canadian Brawners;

This week's been busy but it's time for a quick catch-up... :)

Monday:

Tuesday: Chest
I completed 4-6 sets per exercise and 4-15 reps (or more until failure) with some super sets and drop sets on the following exercises:
  • Cable Cross-Overs - up to 65 Lbs. per side (hit one side at a time to get a better range of motion and squeeze on the concentric)
  • Machine Peck Deck Flyes - up to stack (300 Lbs.) - with drop sets until failure.

Wednesday:

Thursday: Back
I completed 3-6 sets per exercise and 4-15 reps (or more until failure) with some drop sets and super sets on the following exercises:
  • Seated Cable Low Rows - up to stack (260 Lbs.)
I wanted to get some Deadlifts +/or Meadows Rows in but I was rushed for time again (maybe this week).

Friday:

Saturday:
Due to time and work, I had another rest / cardio day and completed 35 minutes of cardio.

Sunday: Shoulder & Upper Abs focus
I completed 4-6 sets per exercise and 4-15 reps (or more until failure) with some drop sets and super sets on the following exercises:
  • Reverse Machine Flyes - stayed at 250 Lbs.
  • Fitness Ball Crunches - 25 x 6 (Upper Abs focus)

Coming Soon (Today):
Arms & Lower Abs focus

Thank you,

OD

Hi Canadian Brawners;

Thursday: Rest / Cardio Day
I completed 45 minutes of cardio.

Yesterday (Friday): Leg Day
I completed 4-6 sets per exercise and 6-15 reps (or more until failure) with some drop sets and super sets on the following exercises:
  • Leg Extensions - up to stack (240 lbs.)
As mentioned before, a generous forum member (thanks again) donated some used knee sleeves to me to try. This was now my second leg workout where I was able to use them. The first time I was still sore from the week before so I couldn't notice the benefits as much other than they kept my knees nice and warm.

This time around I was less sore from using them for the first time last week and was able to get through the workout without as much pain and I feel better than I normally would today (the day after).

I can actually feel my sore muscles a little rather than only noticing my sore knees. I wanted to add more plates for the hack squats (6 per side = 12 total) and do more reps also but decided to hold off until next week so my knees can recover more still first. I would say the knee sleeves are definitely worthwhile and help if you have certain knee issues.

Today (Saturday): Rest / light cardio day

Tomorrow: Chest Day

Thank you,

OD

Hello Brawners;

Okay, I still haven't found a good full length mirror other than the one at the gym but here's a few leg shots (cold).

I mostly wanted to add them as part of my Log and also to go with my DHB experiment which I am now continuing.

The first pic is poor quality but shows a general idea and I was mainly focused on trying to take the pic from a weird angle looking down from above the sink so I wasn't flexing. Because of this it looks a little fluffy but that's just how it turned out with my camera, bathroom mirror and lighting. I'll try to redo that one again.

The other pics are a little clearer. Hopefully I'll get better ones (along with some back shots) at some point...

Yes, I know, I also need a tan... :giggle:

Thank you,

OD

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Hello Brawners;

Okay, I still haven't found a good full length mirror other than the one at the gym but here's a few leg shots (cold).

I mostly wanted to add them as part of my Log and also to go with my DHB experiment which I am now continuing.

The first pic is poor quality but shows a general idea and I was mainly focused on trying to take the pic from a weird angle looking down from above the sink so I wasn't flexing. Because of this it looks a little fluffy but that's just how it turned out with my camera, bathroom mirror and lighting. The other pics are a little clearer. Hopefully I'll get better ones (along with some back shots) at some point...

Yes, I know, I also need a tan... :giggle:

Thank you,

OD

View attachment 2340
View attachment 2341
View attachment 2342
View attachment 2343
View attachment 2344

Looking good OD