One of many reasons why I am pro pipeline

ironwill

Trusted Member
Trusted Member
I am pro pipeline and one of the reasons is these pics.
We do not talk in society enough about the positive of pipelines
Here is a mineral area covered in fresh moose and elk tracks, way out in the boonies and very few people come here. MMMMM moose meat.
Don't mind my mug, lol had to get a pic of momma riding my ass again.
Kast pics a moose strolling down the pipeline in Northern BC

Attachments

• 687C7823-4C91-43D0-B988-7F85AF6F9611.jpeg
    687C7823-4C91-43D0-B988-7F85AF6F9611.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 15
  • C1EE0609-F851-43A4-A7BE-0131CE2F0E56.jpeg
    C1EE0609-F851-43A4-A7BE-0131CE2F0E56.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 20
  • 7230E054-C023-4CF3-8552-E51BEE8FF6FE.jpeg
    7230E054-C023-4CF3-8552-E51BEE8FF6FE.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1A7E8D1D-E0B7-4139-9BCA-F9BF4FECA1EB.jpeg
    1A7E8D1D-E0B7-4139-9BCA-F9BF4FECA1EB.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 91F7F22F-FA92-4296-8E37-A4BD416466E4.jpeg
    91F7F22F-FA92-4296-8E37-A4BD416466E4.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
We would never access some of these amazing sights. This is behind my place up the Alaska highway. These pipelines are non destructive to environment maintained and beautiful. Great feed for animals, grass doesn’t grow in the dense forest. Up above is a mineral area packed with moose and elk tracks. When the pipeline is being installed it looks like shit, a few yrs later it is amazing and again we couldn’t access many areas in the outback if not for pipelines.

Attachments

• B86C4ED1-1A70-433A-A7DA-7F607A07D345.jpeg
    B86C4ED1-1A70-433A-A7DA-7F607A07D345.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 03EF5660-8D89-4C9A-939A-D0DA6B30E55E.jpeg
    03EF5660-8D89-4C9A-939A-D0DA6B30E55E.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 71D58538-2847-4857-A756-89E4EEC6532C.jpeg
    71D58538-2847-4857-A756-89E4EEC6532C.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 5
  • B67B0736-DFBC-43C7-9AF4-CE596F17BCC0.jpeg
    B67B0736-DFBC-43C7-9AF4-CE596F17BCC0.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 068FE16A-50C1-49C6-BE69-0FD821369E05.jpeg
    068FE16A-50C1-49C6-BE69-0FD821369E05.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I am scouting my fall hunt areas and starting early. I love living in the Bush far away from cities and towns, well within driving distance to cities and towns but I can hang out with my beautiful lady our pooch and our horses. Quad around and see awesomeness. Mountains are ten minutes away and I hope I can enjoy this for many yrs. here is a nice pond that the pipeline company made for moose to get fresh water , ducks etc. In the middle of nowhere. Lots of swamps etc but pretty cool to see moose and many big animals hanging around here. A dirty day and a picnic area with benches and tables. Lol

Attachments

• CAB3863F-F469-4BFD-AAFA-706C69161F86.jpeg
    CAB3863F-F469-4BFD-AAFA-706C69161F86.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 5B83D15F-81EA-4F4E-9A92-604596F82B30.jpeg
    5B83D15F-81EA-4F4E-9A92-604596F82B30.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 73086338-4B64-4AA3-AFC2-99F1C0D79106.jpeg
    73086338-4B64-4AA3-AFC2-99F1C0D79106.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 4
  • AB1129B0-6E99-4826-AC71-C52851C9F59C.jpeg
    AB1129B0-6E99-4826-AC71-C52851C9F59C.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 6323237D-7AEE-4B1E-8C60-4AB1E057E8C2.jpeg
    6323237D-7AEE-4B1E-8C60-4AB1E057E8C2.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 4253942B-4D1F-40C3-B664-8DA7344A7A2E.jpeg
    4253942B-4D1F-40C3-B664-8DA7344A7A2E.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 4
We are outdoors folk through and through. I try to leave the land as good or better than it was when we arrived. We camp out in places like these and just bring bare necessities. Then we cook and eat what we can gather hunt or fish .
The best is with Horses, you can get right into herds of elk, nothing runs away. Again, these pipelined areas give us unlimited trails to see, virgin trails that very few humans use for most of the year.
Animals use them a lot as well. I have yet to run into a pipeline area that is completed and had a couple yrs to get back to looking like this. In the construction phase, you see lots of shit all over, but quite quickly it is looking amazing once again and kept up as well.
Not hurting the ecosystem, not invading or bothering wildlife, just quietly running underground. With many, many safety features to detect leaks and the ability to isolate if ever a leak occurs. Which is very rare. I cannot say the same for trains and Semis hauling oils. Not near as safe.
This was yesterday and soon as rain stops we are back out there friends. Wall tent and horses and nature.

We are outdoors folk through and through. I try to leave the land as good or better than it was when we arrived. We camp out in places like these and just bring bare necessities. Then we cook and eat what we can gather hunt or fish .
The best is with Horses, you can get right into herds of elk, nothing runs away. Again, these pipelined areas give us unlimited trails to see, virgin trails that very few humans use for most of the year.
Animals use them a lot as well. I have yet to run into a pipeline area that is completed and had a couple yrs to get back to looking like this. In the construction phase, you see lots of shit all over, but quite quickly it is looking amazing once again and kept up as well.
Not hurting the ecosystem, not invading or bothering wildlife, just quietly running underground. With many, many safety features to detect leaks and the ability to isolate if ever a leak occurs. Which is very rare. I cannot say the same for trains and Semis hauling oils. Not near as safe.
This was yesterday and soon as rain stops we are back out there friends. Wall tent and horses and nature.
Transportation we will always need. Trains ok... but hey now dont pick on truck drivers, you like that wheeler a trucker brought it to you same as that fuel in it prob came from me .😁

Transportation we will always need. Trains ok... but hey now dont pick on truck drivers, you like that wheeler a trucker brought it to you same as that fuel in it prob came from me .😁
Ummm you missed my point brother.
Truck drivers are required as are trains. I wouldn’t be working without them.

My point was crude, condensate etc is much safer in a pipe than above the ground moving under care and control of a human. There is no question about that imho.

Here’s the thing Harley ,There are great truck drivers out there. But there are brutally unsafe shit drivers as well. Real truckers are proud and drive with pride.

A real trucker is an operator in that machine, the others are just drivers.
I am not a fan of drivers.

As a hunter, avid outdoorsman AND someone with a huge back ground in science: pipe lines and gas wells when done right actually significantly improves habitat for the vast majoity of species in the area.

Some animals like deer, elf, bear, moose etc populations are MUCH MUCH higher today than they were 100 years ago due to the increase food from pipelines and gas wells.

I have only amzing things to say about gas/oil projects in the bush except 2 things.
1) It did drastically change the wolf's predatory behavior resulting in many ungulate populations suffering especially the woodland caribou.
Wolves have a much easier time chasing down an ungulate on a pipeline vs bush. Wolf populations have boomed in recent years because of this and are destroying elk/caribou populations. Luckily the AB government finally came to their senses and initated a wolf culling program that has done wonders in recent years.

2) pipelines opened up previously difficult to reach areas to humans. This has its pro's and cons. Pro's is allows humans to enjoy more area. But con is some people are just jackasses and have no respect for anything. These tpye of people have more area due to easy trravelling on pipelines to destroy more area.

As a hunter, avid outdoorsman AND someone with a huge back ground in science: pipe lines and gas wells when done right actually significantly improves habitat for the vast majoity of species in the area.

Some animals like deer, elf, bear, moose etc populations are MUCH MUCH higher today than they were 100 years ago due to the increase food from pipelines and gas wells.

I have only amzing things to say about gas/oil projects in the bush except 2 things.
1) It did drastically change the wolf's predatory behavior resulting in many ungulate populations suffering especially the woodland caribou.
Wolves have a much easier time chasing down an ungulate on a pipeline vs bush. Wolf populations have boomed in recent years because of this and are destroying elk/caribou populations. Luckily the AB government finally came to their senses and initated a wolf culling program that has done wonders in recent years.

2) pipelines opened up previously difficult to reach areas to humans. This has its pro's and cons. Pro's is allows humans to enjoy more area. But con is some people are just jackasses and have no respect for anything. These tpye of people have more area due to easy trravelling on pipelines to destroy more area.
you bet...That is my thought as well.
There is good and bad with access. I will walk for miles when hunting. Frustrating when you are almost at the spot, and someone drives by you on a quad. That is life, so i go deep and not common areas for folks when i can.

The wolves sit in wait for the pry to come out and makes an easier time of it for them sometimes.
More good than bad imo.
Waiting for rain to stop and head out again.

I’m pro pipe line for the simple reason it’s much safer than rail or trucking, and a hell of a lot more energy efficient.

We currently have resource that is worth something. Even as we move away from fossil fuels their value will drop.

I explain it to people like this. If someone told you your house would be worth $200k less in ten years you would sell now for the top dollar. Well oil is pretty much the same.

I’m pro pipeline if ironwill sends my some moose tenderloin....never tried elk so I’m open to that discussion. I’ve eaten about 14 different types of antelope though.

Just sayin’

you bet...That is my thought as well.
There is good and bad with access. I will walk for miles when hunting. Frustrating when you are almost at the spot, and someone drives by you on a quad. That is life, so i go deep and not common areas for folks when i can.

The wolves sit in wait for the pry to come out and makes an easier time of it for them sometimes.
More good than bad imo.
Waiting for rain to stop and head out again.

I've attended hours and hours of meetings about saving the woodland caribou, the effects of wolves on caribou and the way wolves take advantage of pipelines.. I've also attended hours of trappers meetings discussing similar things.. Everyone I know involved agrees that carbiou had a very good chance of getting away from a wolf when its just straight bush. But a caribou caught out in the open of a pipe line is a dead carbiou when a wolf see its. And caribou have evolved by feeding on pipelines more and more due to high amounts of good food. And wolves have adapted to hunt caribou by cruising pipelines like a highway. The highway never existed before pipelines. There was some science presented at the various meetings I attended to back up what I said. It all made sense to me every time I was attending a meeting or talking to a biologist.

Moose seem to do better at both getting away from wolves and adapting to the pipelines.

There's not a ton of white tail deer where caribou live. IT's moose and caribou and caribou are simply easy pickings if they are caught in the open.

To be honest, I have come across caribou a few times in the wild. I feel really blessed to see them, but in all honesty they seem to be fairly dumb animals in terms of not being aware of danger around them. I could easily get very close to them each time I saw them. I had to almost shoo 2 away I got so close and they didn't budge.

I've attended hours and hours of meetings about saving the woodland caribou, the effects of wolves on caribou and the way wolves take advantage of pipelines.. I've also attended hours of trappers meetings discussing similar things.. Everyone I know involved agrees that carbiou had a very good chance of getting away from a wolf when its just straight bush. But a caribou caught out in the open of a pipe line is a dead carbiou when a wolf see its. And caribou have evolved by feeding on pipelines more and more due to high amounts of good food. And wolves have adapted to hunt caribou by cruising pipelines like a highway. The highway never existed before pipelines. There was some science presented at the various meetings I attended to back up what I said. It all made sense to me every time I was attending a meeting or talking to a biologist.

Moose seem to do better at both getting away from wolves and adapting to the pipelines.

There's not a ton of white tail deer where caribou live. IT's moose and caribou and caribou are simply easy pickings if they are caught in the open.

To be honest, I have come across caribou a few times in the wild. I feel really blessed to see them, but in all honesty they seem to be fairly dumb animals in terms of not being aware of danger around them. I could easily get very close to them each time I saw them. I had to almost shoo 2 away I got so close and they didn't budge.
You bet AI, i am also a trapper , well, i should say i was, and had a line in my family etc, From a business perspective i have attended these meetings on Caribou. I was there from a MIning and Forestry perspective as they shut down many areas around to atv's snowmobiles, logging and Pipelines and mining etc.
I just saw 4 caribou last week on the highway. I had to stop or i would have ran into them. I don't know if they are simple or so scared they freeze....lol...Nice animals and i am happy they are protected, but in all honesty it is the wolves and overpopulation here where i am, rather than industry that is killing them. Not just on pipelines, they kill them all over. There is a severe population issue with wolves here, bounties etc, but they are still climbing. Further north in Alaska and Yukon it is nutty.

Heading up to Tumbler ridge today for a week of outback fun. I will have some amazing pics of waterfalls and animals when i return.
We love it there. We love it everywhere in the outback we can find. The mountains are pretty cool for wonder and amazement i must say.

Thanks for your comments folks, you have a good insight there Animal Inside.

You bet AI, i am also a trapper , well, i should say i was, and had a line in my family etc, From a business perspective i have attended these meetings on Caribou. I was there from a MIning and Forestry perspective as they shut down many areas around to atv's snowmobiles, logging and Pipelines and mining etc.
I just saw 4 caribou last week on the highway. I had to stop or i would have ran into them. I don't know if they are simple or so scared they freeze....lol...Nice animals and i am happy they are protected, but in all honesty it is the wolves and overpopulation here where i am, rather than industry that is killing them. Not just on pipelines, they kill them all over. There is a severe population issue with wolves here, bounties etc, but they are still climbing. Further north in Alaska and Yukon it is nutty.

Heading up to Tumbler ridge today for a week of outback fun. I will have some amazing pics of waterfalls and animals when i return.
We love it there. We love it everywhere in the outback we can find. The mountains are pretty cool for wonder and amazement i must say.

Thanks for your comments folks, you have a good insight there Animal Inside.

I was told the reason the wolf pop is so high is because they now have more ideal habitat to hunt (pipelines, forestry/oil roads etc)... So I agree their pop is def way too high, but I think its due to changes to their surroundings.

Wolf populations were absolutely out of hand where I live.. You couldn't walk through the bush or farm more than a few miles without seeing wolf sign for many years. I saw more wolves than bears for about 7 years straight. When I went moose hunting, all we saw was wolf tracks.. The odd moose track often had wolf tracks following it.

In my area the government started shooting wolves from helicopters in an effort to save the caribou. I went to meetings that gave facts of 220-230 wovles per year shot from this program. Rule was, when a wolf pack was spotted the helicopter stayed on it until they were all dead.

Sounds cruel, but our balance has started to restore. Moose, deer, caribou are starting to return.. Last 2 falls of moose hunting I actually saw very few wolf tracks and much more moose tracks.

Several years ago in these meetings they stated "we expect to see a boom in black bear and beaver populations. The #1 predator of bear cubs is wolves and the #1 beaver predator is wolves"... Sure as shit the black bears are like ants now lol... Last fall I saw 9 black bears and my buddy saw 11 in 3 days of moose hunting.. If you went hunting after dinner, you saw mulitple bears..

I;d love to talk trapping with you lol.. I wish I was born in the days were trapping was a full time proffesion

I'm someone who spends a lot of time practicing and trying to adhere to the tenants of critical thinking. As such, my views on topics tend to be aligned more with empirical evidence and less with any particular political party lines. Evidence tends to favor lefty social issues but when it comes to pipelines, I'm in the pro camp, mainly for the same reasons as @The Old Guy. One caveat is that pipeline infrastructure is a large, expensive undertaking and that must be weighed against the somewhat uncertain future of oil. I think we still have some years to go yet with dino power however.

I was told the reason the wolf pop is so high is because they now have more ideal habitat to hunt (pipelines, forestry/oil roads etc)... So I agree their pop is def way too high, but I think its due to changes to their surroundings.

Wolf populations were absolutely out of hand where I live.. You couldn't walk through the bush or farm more than a few miles without seeing wolf sign for many years. I saw more wolves than bears for about 7 years straight. When I went moose hunting, all we saw was wolf tracks.. The odd moose track often had wolf tracks following it.

In my area the government started shooting wolves from helicopters in an effort to save the caribou. I went to meetings that gave facts of 220-230 wovles per year shot from this program. Rule was, when a wolf pack was spotted the helicopter stayed on it until they were all dead.

Sounds cruel, but our balance has started to restore. Moose, deer, caribou are starting to return.. Last 2 falls of moose hunting I actually saw very few wolf tracks and much more moose tracks.

Several years ago in these meetings they stated "we expect to see a boom in black bear and beaver populations. The #1 predator of bear cubs is wolves and the #1 beaver predator is wolves"... Sure as shit the black bears are like ants now lol... Last fall I saw 9 black bears and my buddy saw 11 in 3 days of moose hunting.. If you went hunting after dinner, you saw mulitple bears..

I;d love to talk trapping with you lol.. I wish I was born in the days were trapping was a full time proffesion
Yes sir. I also would love nothing more than to live like the "Last Alaskans". Not joking, as kids we grew up with a very similar lifestyle except we had running water and power in our home. Everything was hunted and farmed and grown. Only wood heat, we had electric but never turned on unless we were away.
It was the best of times, although when you are a teen and younger and working our asses off, it did not feel like it, but now I appreciate my learnings, a lot.