Help me figure it out... feeling like fainting after heavy deads or squats

animal-inside

Trusted Member
I'm mid 40's and have been lifting very hard and very heavy since I was a teen.. Not once have I ever felt like fainting after doing heavy lifting. The only exception was last usmmer when I was trying ozpemic and it lowered my blood sugars too much.

Either way, for the past 1-2 months when I finish my heavy set of deads or squats I am seriously on the verge of fainting. Vision starts to get a touch fuzzy, feels like my brain is not getting oxygen.. but I don't really feel out of breathe..

I only do one heavy set of deads or squats.. I do legs Mon and back (when I do deads) on friday. I've taken about 2 months off dead lifitng since I pulled a hamstring and I felt like I was over training and not recovering enough, but I just started dead lifting again with no hamstring issues.

I do lift very heavy and I go to absoutle failure.. But I noticed even if I stop a rep or two before total failure, I still get the same close to fainting feeling.

I have always been able to do these lifts super heavy and go to failure and not ever get the fainting feeling.

When I do squats its the first exercise of leg day.. when I do dead lifts, its the first exerise of back day. It's not like I'm wiped out for them.

I'm hydrated and not tired when I go to the gym..

Tonight when I did my heavy dead lift set (455lbs x 7) I have never come so close to passing out.. I was pretty spent for the rest of my workout, but didn't feel like fainting..

I am on a fairly strignent keto diet.. I eat about 50 grams of carbs a day in my trace carbs. Once a week I have a day where I take in about 150-300 grams carbs. About 2 weeks ago I started eating carbs post work out, 1/2 oatmeal, 1/4 blue berries and sometimes an apple.

First thought was low blood sugar.. so when I got home from the gym I checked my blood suagr 2 times as soon as I walked in the door.. 6.0 and 6.1.. I do have a 15 min drive home... I thought for sure I'd be 4.0-4.5 which is low for me..

I've been taking 2.0's gh before bed for a few months, but I will be stopping this very soon but not becsuse I thnk its cauing my issues.

I am taking 300mg test (200mg more then my script) and again i will be dopping down to 100 again very soon.

I am taking 10mcg T3 along with my script of 150mcg T4... Again, dropping the T3 soon.

I'm curious if its my blood pressure.. I will check this a few times this week.

I am curious if my ferritn levels are high.. I have no idea if this could cause my feeling of faint or not, but I donate blood a few times a year since Im on TRT and my dr strongley suggested it to me.

Ideas?

I think its a temporary blood pressure issue but I could be wrong. No idea what causes it.
Make sure your not only hydrated but have electrolytes as well. Breathing is huge part of it. Are you winded taking huge breaths?

I think its a temporary blood pressure issue but I could be wrong. No idea what causes it.
Make sure your not only hydrated but have electrolytes as well. Breathing is huge part of it. Are you winded taking huge breaths?

I drink celtic salt in my water jug and I put salt in my morning and afternoon coffee.. I have dabbled with potassium, but I haven't taken it regularly since I'm not understanding if I need extra, if I'm low etc..

Do you think my blood pressure got too high lifting? Or a sudden drop when I stop ??

I do breathe really well when I lift... I don't hold my breathe ever.. In on the negative, out on the resistance..

Not sure what you mean when you ask if I'm winded taking huge breaths..

Part of what scares me is that I did take one vaccine shot.. I regret it every second I think about it..

I drink celtic salt in my water jug and I put salt in my morning and afternoon coffee.. I have dabbled with potassium, but I haven't taken it regularly since I'm not understanding if I need extra, if I'm low etc..

Do you think my blood pressure got too high lifting? Or a sudden drop when I stop ??

I do breathe really well when I lift... I don't hold my breathe ever.. In on the negative, out on the resistance..

Part of what scares me is that I did take one vaccine shot.. I regret it every second I think about it..
If you got myocarditis from the shot, and that shot was months ago, you should have long recovered from that.

I think its normally caused by a blood pressure drop when you stop.

Winded i just mean alot of heavy deep breaths.

I think its normally caused by a blood pressure drop when you stop.

Winded i just mean alot of heavy deep breaths.

No I don't get winded from that.... I often do 20 rep squats or dead lifts.. I regularly would dead lift 405lbs for 17-18 reps to total failure.. when I rack the weight I was short of breathe, but not winded at all. Same with squats.. until recently of course..

I think i might know the cause... I got a umbilical hernia this year.. I think there's a chance I'm breathing differently than I used too.. It's possible, but I'm not entirely sure..

Is there a technique to rack your weight to prepare for the blood pressure drop when you stop ???

the problem probably can't be diagnosed without more testing

however, i am trying to think back to when i got dizzy/fainted and most cases involved low blood sugar

i would assume, blood sugar levels would have returned to baseline by the time you got home, since its during heavy lifts I would guess it's due to low blood sugar

If you got myocarditis from the shot, and that shot was months ago, you should have long recovered from that.
I think I have to disagree though my knowledge is admittedly superficial. I've not vetted anything I'm about to post below.

I saw a clip earlier today that had more detail but I cant find it. Dr peter Mcullough and a guy named Steve Kirsch I think. The Dr mentioned something like 70-80% of Vax Myocarditis patients still had it in studies from two different countries, one may have been India.

This is a shorter version quoted from that convo I think

Pro athlete collapsed with myo 2 years ago and announced it was from the shot. 2 years later he dies during a treadmill cardiac test in a medical facility that is assumed to have all the life saving equipment readily at hand

@animal-inside I feel for you Sir, one of the biggest reasons I'm still glad i never took it is I am sure anytime I had a hiccup after I would be getting right stressed out. Stress is definitely not your friend at this time so try to stay cool bro.

There are some recommended treatments to mitigate damage, some happens to be some on this same site as quoted above.

Last edited:
I'm mid 40's and have been lifting very hard and very heavy since I was a teen.. Not once have I ever felt like fainting after doing heavy lifting. The only exception was last usmmer when I was trying ozpemic and it lowered my blood sugars too much.

Either way, for the past 1-2 months when I finish my heavy set of deads or squats I am seriously on the verge of fainting. Vision starts to get a touch fuzzy, feels like my brain is not getting oxygen.. but I don't really feel out of breathe..

I only do one heavy set of deads or squats.. I do legs Mon and back (when I do deads) on friday. I've taken about 2 months off dead lifitng since I pulled a hamstring and I felt like I was over training and not recovering enough, but I just started dead lifting again with no hamstring issues.

I do lift very heavy and I go to absoutle failure.. But I noticed even if I stop a rep or two before total failure, I still get the same close to fainting feeling.

I have always been able to do these lifts super heavy and go to failure and not ever get the fainting feeling.

When I do squats its the first exercise of leg day.. when I do dead lifts, its the first exerise of back day. It's not like I'm wiped out for them.

I'm hydrated and not tired when I go to the gym..

Tonight when I did my heavy dead lift set (455lbs x 7) I have never come so close to passing out.. I was pretty spent for the rest of my workout, but didn't feel like fainting..

I am on a fairly strignent keto diet.. I eat about 50 grams of carbs a day in my trace carbs. Once a week I have a day where I take in about 150-300 grams carbs. About 2 weeks ago I started eating carbs post work out, 1/2 oatmeal, 1/4 blue berries and sometimes an apple.

First thought was low blood sugar.. so when I got home from the gym I checked my blood suagr 2 times as soon as I walked in the door.. 6.0 and 6.1.. I do have a 15 min drive home... I thought for sure I'd be 4.0-4.5 which is low for me..

I've been taking 2.0's gh before bed for a few months, but I will be stopping this very soon but not becsuse I thnk its cauing my issues.

I am taking 300mg test (200mg more then my script) and again i will be dopping down to 100 again very soon.

I am taking 10mcg T3 along with my script of 150mcg T4... Again, dropping the T3 soon.

I'm curious if its my blood pressure.. I will check this a few times this week.

I am curious if my ferritn levels are high.. I have no idea if this could cause my feeling of faint or not, but I donate blood a few times a year since Im on TRT and my dr strongley suggested it to me.

Ideas?

This is Vasovagal Syncope.

The vagus nerve is the main nerve of your parasympathetic nervous system. It connects your brain to your heart and your stomach. Too much stess on the vagus nerve (which is easy to do on heavy compound lifts) is heavily taxing on the vagus nerve and it will dialate your blood vessels and lower your heart rate, causing a rapid drop in blood pressure and depriving the brain of oxygen.

I get vasovagal syncope in the gym fairly frequently as well. It used to effect me on back and leg days. Now just primarily on leg days. I haven't found and don't know of a way to dead stop it from happening, I had to change some movements.

I found mine to be related to pressure on my core. For example, backsquats take a lot of core bracing. I changed barbell back squats for Hack squats and it has been MUCH more manageable. Instead of bent over barbell rows, I switched to T bar rows where my chest is supported. Working towards isolating that one group I'm trying to hit has made it effect me much much less in the gym, compound lifts take alot of exertion and your vagus nerve is carrying the brunt of that.

I searched for help on it too. In my findings, working past it is pretty individualized. Do some googling on vasovagal syncope and the vagus nerve and see what parts you can relate too, and from there the more you understand it the more you can kinda narrow down how to mitigate it for you.

The vagus nerve is the main nerve of your parasympathetic nervous system. It connects your brain to your heart and your stomach. Too much stess on the vagus nerve (which is easy to do on heavy compound lifts) is heavily taxing on the vagus nerve and it will dialate your blood vessels and lower your heart rate, causing a rapid drop in blood pressure and depriving the brain of oxygen.

I get vasovagal syncope in the gym fairly frequently as well. It used to effect me on back and leg days. Now just primarily on leg days. I haven't found and don't know of a way to dead stop it from happening, I had to change some movements.

I found mine to be related to pressure on my core. For example, backsquats take a lot of core bracing. I changed barbell back squats for Hack squats and it has been MUCH more manageable. Instead of bent over barbell rows, I switched to T bar rows where my chest is supported. Working towards isolating that one group I'm trying to hit has made it effect me much much less in the gym, compound lifts take alot of exertion and your vagus nerve is carrying the brunt of that.

I searched for help on it too. In my findings, working past it is pretty individualized. Do some googling on vasovagal syncope and the vagus nerve and see what parts you can relate too, and from there the more you understand it the more you can kinda narrow down how to mitigate it for you.
Quickly

And then lay on the floor with your legs above your chest

Will look silly, but this is actually the quickest recovery.
I'm going with this. But also get the watch @The Old Guy mentioned.

the problem probably can't be diagnosed without more testing

however, i am trying to think back to when i got dizzy/fainted and most cases involved low blood sugar

i would assume, blood sugar levels would have returned to baseline by the time you got home, since its during heavy lifts I would guess it's due to low blood sugar

I might bring my blood suagr testor with me next time then

I think I have to disagree though my knowledge is admittedly superficial. I've not vetted anything I'm about to post below.

I saw a clip earlier today that had more detail but I cant find it. Dr peter Mcullough and a guy named Steve Kirsch I think. The Dr mentioned something like 70-80% of Vax Myocarditis patients still had it in studies from two different countries, one may have been India.

This is a shorter version quoted from that convo I think Bro athlete collapsed with myo 2 years ago and announced it was from the shot. 2 years later he dies during a treadmill cardiac test in a medical facility that is assumed to have all the life saving equipment readily at hand

@animal-inside I feel for you Sir, one of the biggest reasons I'm still glad i never took it is I am sure anytime I had a hiccup after I would be getting right stressed out. Stress is definitely not your friend at this time so try to stay cool bro.

There are some recommended treatments to mitigate damage, some happens to be some on this same site as quoted above.

I've read about the protocols to mitigate the dmaage.. I'll look into it and give it a go.. thank yoou..

Yes I hate that I Took the shot.. I HATE the doctor that convinced me to take it.. He literally went on stress leave within a couple months of convincing me to take the shot.. I feel betrayed by my government/dr.

K this makes me really think its caused by me changing my breathing to not put pressure on my hernia... I know my breathing changed a bit so I didn't rip my hernia more when lifting

K this makes me really think its caused by me changing my breathing to not put pressure on my hernia... I know my breathing changed a bit so I didn't rip my hernia more when lifting
Poof and like that you figured out you’re issue, lol