Fruit getting too sweet?

BobTbay

Mr. Nice Guy
Trusted Member
Fruit is getting sweeter over time, with selective breeding for Brix. For example, plums are now twice as sweet as they were just twenty years ago.
It caught the news cycle, because fruit is now so sweet, it's not healthy to feed it to animals in zoos anymore. A number of zoos have now banned some or all fruit for animals as it was making them obese and diabetic and giving them tooth decay.

If you are counting your macros with nutritional information based on old data (much of the data available), you might be getting alot more sugar in your diet than you think.

Us humans took a seasonal healthy treat and bred it into living candy we can eat everyday.

Size too, we just got blueberries that are nearly the size of grapes.

And un-natural flavors, we also got grapes that have a Lychee flavor. They are delicious and I want more but they must be genetically modified

Size too, we just got blueberries that are nearly the size of grapes.

And un-natural flavors, we also got grapes that have a Lychee flavor. They are delicious and I want more but they must be genetically modified
They are probably just breeding for bigger sized blueberries as it takes years to grow them successfully. Flavours will be different due to phenotypes and they just select the best mother and keep breeding it.

Some people breed for yield, some for flavor, some for looks, some a mix of everything.

They are probably just breeding for bigger sized blueberries as it takes years to grow them successfully. Flavours will be different due to phenotypes and they just select the best mother and keep breeding it.

Some people breed for yield, some for flavor, some for looks, some a mix of everything.
He might be right about the genetic modification, it's getting so cheap nowadays, that it's cheaper to use it, than to breed naturally. You can order a crispr kit for $300 right this minute and do it in your kitchen.

As for me, I eat genetically modified food without a second thought and will probably continue to do so.

I think overall, it will be a benefit to humankind. I do acknowledge though, that as with any new technology there might be mistakes and/or bad actors that make bad decisions or evil ones with malicious intent. I think 19/20 we give the world more and better and cheaper foodstuffs, building materials, and medicines etc,etc. and 1/20 some lunatic wipes out a significant fraction of the population with a genetically modified disease he cooked up because his crazy said humans are a disease and the planet is better off without us.

maybe one first, then the other.

So yeah, I'm a fan of genetic modification, but I'm not sure dozens of private companies should send it to your home for three hundred bucks plus tax, without a background check. I'm all for freedom, but that just seems a little dumb.

I remember reading an article that listed a bunch of fruits/veg that have been genetically modified over time to either be visually pleasing or taste better to consumers. The one that comes to mind is watermelon. Hundreds of years ago the ratio of flesh to rine was much different. I'm pretty sure the majority of the melon was rine. Is this a bad thing? Probably not but still interesting.

I understand your concern about sugar content. At the same time, if these new-age hyper palletable fruits can satiate peoples' sweet tooth, steering them away from more refined sugars, I don't see it as a bad thing.

I remember reading an article that listed a bunch of fruits/veg that have been genetically modified over time to either be visually pleasing or taste better to consumers. The one that comes to mind is watermelon. Hundreds of years ago the ratio of flesh to rine was much different. I'm pretty sure the majority of the melon was rine. Is this a bad thing? Probably not but still interesting.

I understand your concern about sugar content. At the same time, if these new-age hyper palletable fruits can satiate peoples' sweet tooth, steering them away from more refined sugars, I don't see it as a bad thing.
You make a good point, but if the macros on a pineapple are worse than a candy bar, is it really healthier?

We used to paint pictures of fruit from time to time. Here's an old watermelon. And that was a perfect watemelon back in the day, mind you.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 2.55.15 PM.png

You make a good point, but if the macros on a pineapple are worse than a candy bar, is it really healthier?

We used to paint pictures of fruit from time to time. Here's an old watermelon. And that was a perfect watemelon back in the day, mind you.

View attachment 54443
Well are we comparing the pineapple vs candy bar from a weight loss/management standpoint or general health standpoint?

I understand macros are important but from a general health standpoint, you can't convince me that your body is going to respond better to a highly processed candy bar vs. fruit. That being said, portion control is obviously a big factor here, but that's a whole different conversation.

Well are we comparing the pineapple vs candy bar from a weight loss/management standpoint or general health standpoint?

I understand macros are important but from a general health standpoint, you can't convince me that your body is going to respond better to a highly processed candy bar vs. fruit. That being said, portion control is obviously a big factor here, but that's a whole different conversation.
At the end of a meal, it's a masticated paste of carbs, fats, proteins and a little fiber that passes through undigested. If our body just treats them as a bunch of organic chemicals, maybe the difference is largely academic.
I find apples too sweet too
I don't find anything too sweet, I find it all too addictive.

Hopefully, they keep developing new strains that produce more and tastier. This will immensely help impoverished countries feed their population, Mr keto carb counter or Mrs bunny fat pants will complain about how bad all the genetically modified plants are while there are people out there literally recooking old food from garbage cans or dumpster diving for veggies and fruits.

View attachment 54443

Not to derail but did you paint this? Its very impressive

I love fruit, a fair amount of all my calories come from them.
I stay very lean with frest fruit in my meal plan, all I do is drop it one month out and can step onstage.
I dont care how must bs, they put out there on how bad fruit it.. The best medicine is don't get in bad health then blame fresh fruit is bad for fatty liver.

when i ate fruit in thailand it was all pretty sweet, i dont think its too sweet

I don’t know where you guys get your produce from but getting “sweeter” sure doesn’t come to mind. I’ve given up on eating fresh vegetables, it’s all tasteless. Sure they look great but it’s like eating styrofoam. They’re fine cooked in foods with spices but on their own 🤮

I remember a while back I was googling why tomatoes taste so bad (they’re my fav!) from what I could tell all the modifications made the tomato hardier, more productive, better storage and transportation but they lost flavor and they can’t figure out how to get them to taste like a tomato again.

I’m also a huge supporter of GMO. I get a good laugh when I see a product with soy in it labeled GMO free. Soy is probably the most modified product out there. Peeps are now all about GMO free, Christ wasn’t the banana GMOed 150 years ago?

He might be right about the genetic modification, it's getting so cheap nowadays, that it's cheaper to use it, than to breed naturally. You can order a crispr kit for $300 right this minute and do it in your kitchen.

As for me, I eat genetically modified food without a second thought and will probably continue to do so.

I think overall, it will be a benefit to humankind. I do acknowledge though, that as with any new technology there might be mistakes and/or bad actors that make bad decisions or evil ones with malicious intent. I think 19/20 we give the world more and better and cheaper foodstuffs, building materials, and medicines etc,etc. and 1/20 some lunatic wipes out a significant fraction of the population with a genetically modified disease he cooked up because his crazy said humans are a disease and the planet is better off without us.

maybe one first, then the other.

So yeah, I'm a fan of genetic modification, but I'm not sure dozens of private companies should send it to your home for three hundred bucks plus tax, without a background check. I'm all for freedom, but that just seems a little dumb.
I disagree that it will benefit human kind in the long run, I think all the modifications for yield will have a trade off wether it be nutritional value or something else like environmental impact. For example, some farmers use mono-cropping for larger yields but terrible for environment compared to regenerative farming.

You should look into Monsanto and how they control the market with their modified seeds among other unethical practices (Ex. Agent Orange & roundup), they might just be that 1/20 company you mentioned but they are MASSIVE.