Drug effects of Casein in dairy and some protein powders

BobTbay

Mr. Nice Guy
Trusted Member
I was watching a video on a doctor discussing food addictions, and of the drug effects of certain things in foods, like caffeine, which we all know about, and theobromine, the drug that makes chocolate so addictive, which many of us know about, and then he mentioned casomorphin, which I had never heard of.

From Wikipedia
Casomorphin
is an opioid peptide (protein fragment) derived from the digestion of the milk protein casein.[1]

So yeah, apparently milk casein has as one of it's breakdown products, several types of opioid agonists, and scientists think this provides an evolutionary advantage getting babies to drink more of mom's milk, get bigger faster, and be more likely to survive. Also, casein is concentrated in cheese, and some protein powders derive some or all of their protein from casein.

I was watching a video on a doctor discussing food addictions, and of the drug effects of certain things in foods, like caffeine, which we all know about, and theobromine, the drug that makes chocolate so addictive, which many of us know about, and then he mentioned casomorphin, which I had never heard of.

From Wikipedia
Casomorphin
is an opioid peptide (protein fragment) derived from the digestion of the milk protein casein.[1]

So yeah, apparently milk casein has as one of it's breakdown products, several types of opioid agonists, and scientists think this provides an evolutionary advantage getting babies to drink more of mom's milk, get bigger faster, and be more likely to survive. Also, casein is concentrated in cheese, and some protein powders derive some or all of their protein from casein.
I knew there was something to casein! Personally i switched almost entirely to it over whey.