Does anybody take dailey salt

I take ionized table salt I just ear a pinch before and after workout etc but I find when I don't take it I get more headaches and muscle cramps. My culprit is excess coffee and water that flushes my sodium. I'm just wondering if anyone has more in depth regiments.

Last edited:
I salt the fuck out of everything that you'd put salt on although for the last couple of years consumption is down because my diet includes less of those things. Eggs, veggies like cucumber and tomatoes(fruit) etc . When I'm at home it's not regular salt though but "half salt" which is 50% Potassium. I'm not shy of it when it comes in sauces or steak spices etc either

Also used to eat thermo tabs with my post workout drink which was real orange juice with dextrose powder.

I think most people don't realize that society is mainly over weight obese people or people with high blood pressure eating processed and fast food all day. So when health centers say cut back on salt they are speaking to these people. People who exercise or eat healthy whole foods will probably be deficient in sodium and figuring it out can take a long time before realizing.

I think most people don't realize that society is mainly over weight obese people or people with high blood pressure eating processed and fast food all day. So when health centers say cut back on salt they are speaking to these people. People who exercise or eat healthy whole foods will probably be deficient in sodium and figuring it out can take a long time before realizing.
I also think the average person does not consume enough liquids.
I drink coffee, a Diet Pepsi and 49oz of water at work, my butcher and sausage maker might drink 2 energy drinks in the same time period.

A note on Magnesium while we're all here. An FYI for those who may not be aware, the labelling of Mag products can lead to some confusion about the dosage. The Mag itself is attached to something, most often referred to as its "form/compound/salt" Magnesium Glycinate, Magnesium Oxide etc . Those forms are actually important as to what it provides to you, and the effects. It's a very deep subject worth looking into IMO. Only my opinion but all I will say about it is to avoid Citrates in any product if you can as they mess with Copper/Iron regulation.

Two notes I guess, this should have been the first - The amount of the dose you'll want to consider is the "elemental" portion that being the "pure" magnesium without the salt it's bound to.

Also to note, if you find you're having trouble hitting your Potassium numbers, add in some Windsor "NoSalt". I think a 1/4tsp have like roughly 700mg Potassium. Real easy / cheap way to supplement it.
You filled in the blanks in my brain there, Windsor is the brand that makes the HalfSalt I mentioned and NoSalt is what I've grabbed in the past when I couldn't find HalfSalt

Low sodium is a byproduct of aging for seniors. I salt the fuck out of everything like Gondar and Faller. I drink about 4+ litres of water a day. I train 4-5 days a week even now with a serious injury. I drink 2 coffee a day and I eat oranges everyday. The combo act as a natural diuretic.

Like mentioned I add salt to my water at the gym.

I aim for about 4.5g of Sodium a day and 4g of Potassium a day. Not sure how much Magnesium in total I'm getting, but I do supplement 400mg a day. Also easily meet my daily Calcium requirements.

It's so fucking critical for us.
I knew my salt was low from blood work but haven't looked into potassium at all. Do you think everyone should be supplementing it?

I knew my salt was low from blood work but haven't looked into potassium at all. Do you think everyone should be supplementing it?
No, there's plenty of different food sources that have a lot of potassium. But if you are deep in a deficit, chances are you're not getting enough of those foods.

Before cutting, I was getting more than enough potassium with like orange juice and milk / dairy.

Last edited:
I had severe cramps in my hamstring everytime I would do isolation work like leg curls. Not sure if it's the fact Ive been training them 3x a week until I feel the cramp coming or it's the salt pre workout and magnesium I implemented in my diet last week BUT I can now do 3 sets when I couldn't even do 5 reps before.

Also if you're going to take salt preworkout it's a good idea to take it with water and a bit of sugar. Or you can put it in orange juice.

It's basically a cheap Gatorade minus the potassium.