Dealing with Autism

We used to say don't expect things to change overnight but more like over the years, and that is with rather an intense ABA (Applied Behaviour Analysis), Sensory Integration, especially Wilbargers, and that is in a controlled setting, i.e. school, day programs, treatment centred group homes. You don't have those options, and without knowing the guy, I can't make any recommendations of value.
Everyone is different; you must find their unique abilities and play on them to get the job done. That is why we use Individual Treatment Plans. Everyone had one, and some of them worked well. Others, not so much.
Just keep doing what you are doing.
Makes sense why the classes of these childer is like 8 tops if everything is tailored directly to them. Just about the head into work. I have an idea for tonight.. we actually have a John Deere tractor on site what can have a snow brush hooked up to it for clearing walkways and shit through the plant and around the trailors/ permit centers.

Makes sense why the classes of these childer is like 8 tops if everything is tailored directly to them. Just about the head into work. I have an idea for tonight.. we actually have a John Deere tractor on site what can have a snow brush hooked up to it for clearing walkways and shit through the plant and around the trailors/ permit centers.
Funny, I had a kid who was a John Deere fan. He had a major collection of everything John Deere, including clothes, toys, and mini vehicles. He got in trouble at school one day, and we had to keep him home for the day and the next. Little rotter tried to break my nose when I was explaining his consequences.

I found with my grandson just repeating the changes I wanted in him like hundreds of times has worked, but that will work on most.

For example:

My grandson used to only talk about dinosaurs or godzilla, both he knew every exact detail, would study them intently with any spare time. He wanted to learn to draw, but was going to give up. I told him over and over that if he put the same effort into dinosaurs with all the research he did, into drawing, with practice he would become good at drawing. Well after repeating that like 40 times over the course of a few months (sometimes it’s hard to fit it into a conversation without looking obvious) he can now draw pretty good.

He used to flap his arms when he was young, he looked handicapped. I instead steered him towards other actions that didn’t look so “handicapped” to use to focus. Like pacing, or humming to himself.

Guess who doesn’t flap his arms anymore.

As far as his non stop godzilla or dinosaur talk both my wife and I explain over and over that he needs to listen to other people and engage in what they like as well, or he will have a tough time keeping friends. Well that has been fixed.

What I am working on now is his motivation, and memory/finishing tasks without being prompted.

I have found that we all had these issues as children and it needed to be taught to us, some just take longer to get there than others.

I came to this conclusion because of my father. He would repeat things until you knew it off by heart. One of his favorites was nothing was going to be handed you on a silver platter. I heard that so much it became ingrained.

My butcher was always unaware, his mom would constantly say “focus” in a really annoying way. He now has no issues focusing.

But as you know the power of suggestion is very real. Tell a kid he’s a loser every day and he will likely become a loser. Tell a kid that if he practices and keeps trying he will eventually succeed, well you know what will likely happen.

Funny part is I use the same methods on my staff. I take these poor kids that fall between the cracks and help them in their way, become damn good workers. Sometimes all they need is self confidence, sometimes just being told they are doing a great job, and to not worry if they are making more mistake than others, that eventually it will click so keep trying.
Believe it or not he has a group of friends I heard him talk with on the phone and theyre all similar, they are all playing a train simulator at the moment and my coworker is "the boss" cause he worked for CN RAIL for a brief time, anyways the concept apparently is logistics on top of actually driving trains they set up contracts and have to build a train transportation company. Its very serious stuff hahahaha
Ive tried to talk about my car, my engine build in my Audi and he shut that shit down, told me I shouldnt have an audi.
Told him I disagree and he insisted, which was one of the times I gotna bit hot and told him he cant argue everyones personal opinions with his own even if hes uncomfortable. I think ar 24 this guy got no fuckin structure growing up and maybe hes too far gone? When he "shuts down" he just whips out his phone and immediately watching engine rebuild and semi truck videoes.

Autistic ppl like this can be difficult for sure.. I'm assuming you've had a blunt, but respectful conversation with him about it? He may not respond or able to read your emotions when you "loose it".. Austitic ppl realyl struggle with intepreting emootions and reading ppl.. they can also struggle with understanding how they come off to other pple.. Some know their quirks of their autism and can stop themselves all by themselves but some need reminders.

You may have to have a blunt converdation with him and leave your emotion out of it and tell him "hey, I am not really interested in the things you are interested in.. And I actually a person that doesn't enjoy talking to other people much when I'm at work. I prefer to be left alone. If I find that you are trying to talk with me more than I'm wanting to, I don't want to offend you but I will just tell you that I would like to be left alone".. anf then you might have to tell him "I want to be left alone right now" 5, 6, 7 times a day.. but they may eventually start needing less and less reminders.. Lots of austitic kids I've said stuff like "I would like to be left alone right now" for example, aren't at all offended by it becaue they often see things black and white and just take away exactly what you said.. so they don't get upset, they just think "hey they want to be left alone right now" and don't feel like they pissed you off.

Yes autsitic ppl can become quite obsessed over things like tractors.. lol.. They don't get that other ppl just aren't and they often lack the ability to "read the room" to understand you don't want anything to do with tracctors..

Your other option of course is to just go talk to your supervisors.. Guessing they've had similar conversatyions with orther ppl who have worked with him.. It probably wont a surprise to them..

No offense, but did they pair you up with this guy because they want you to quit?
I dont believe they paired me with him to quit. I believe Im the last place they could put him now and Im known for being a very socaible and easy going guy here for about 4 years. He has been bounced around non stop for multiple reasons. Work ethic and just irritating the other tradesmen in other units.
Ill be damned if I let this guy be the reason I leave this gig !
Like you mentioned. Ive brought it to my superviosers attention- he said he know all about it and to "just try to not let it get to me, distance yourself from him".
Theres a shut down coming in 5 months, thays 10 shifts. I can do it *rob Schneider*

Someone with a disability is “talking at” you? Just treat it like talking with a woman. Drown that shit out, maybe throw out a “that’s crazy” or two, and carry on with your business.