Calculating TDEE

Elkpholic

Trusted Member
I have question regarding calculating TDEE, as most calculators don’t take into account people who have high muscle mass for their weight.

Case and point- I’m 6”1 240lbs but according to dexa scan I’m only 17% BF whereas many people the same height who don’t work out will be more like 25-30% bf .

I bulked a bit over the summer and my metabolism feels revved up and now I’m ready to slow cut over the next few months. TDEE is saying 2700 ish is my maintenance but I feel that is really low. Just looking for some insight from people similar sized

I have no clue, i am interested in this though...Mine always says obese, at 6 foot and 250-280 lbs, i can have abs and veins and very low bf and i am still obese....But the TDEE seems more accurate, i haven't heard of this acronym. Time to learn...

I have question regarding calculating TDEE, as most calculators don’t take into account people who have high muscle mass for their weight.

Case and point- I’m 6”1 240lbs but according to dexa scan I’m only 17% BF whereas many people the same height who don’t work out will be more like 25-30% bf .

I bulked a bit over the summer and my metabolism feels revved up and now I’m ready to slow cut over the next few months. TDEE is saying 2700 ish is my maintenance but I feel that is really low. Just looking for some insight from people similar sized
If you feel you need more then start there, stay at that range for a week and adjust.

That's what I did, my metabolism was shit due to high body fat when I started this year and as I slowly put on muscle, I'm maintaining my weight at a higher calorie count but with lower body weight.

If youre revved up as it is, progressively add cardio and food preferably in the form of carbohydrates at the same time. Once youve adapted to higher activity and higher food, you can take away food periodically via carb cycling.

Be sure to keep in mind the leaner you get the faster your metabolism gets, if you do it properly that is. TDEE or BMR in practice is basically useless because your caloric needs in any other scenario besides maintenance is dynamic. Go by how you feel, the mirror and the scale. I wish it was a numbers game, but it really isn't.

Estimated TDEE is just a guess, it's a good starting point though IMO. I track my calories with MyFitnessPal and wear a Fitbit the apps used together really help me. Im 6ft 245 lbs and I maintain weight around 2700-3000 cals. If I eat 2500 I lose a pound or two per week if I eat more than 3000 I gain weight.