boxing as self defence

Evil Spock

Trusted Member
discussion i seem to always get into at parties. thought id bring it here cuz there seems to be much martial arts experience here.
ive studied much martial arts (mostly arnis) when i was young and the general consensus was not to use your bare knuckles in a fight but in my observations, ive never seen as effective street defence as boxing. im not talking stupid after bar shit shows. boxers are the only ones to be able to react to a unexpected attack. i dont just mean vets, ive seen kids do it too. no fancy stance, no fancy waving of arms. a bob down and upward fast, short attack to the jaw and ko. most people miss what happened.
is studying boxing for self defence a bad idea?
can the hand be conditioned to prevent hand injury? knuckle push up do anythin?

If we are talking party fights.. then watch bas ruten self defense videos.. alot of stupid but real world stuff he shows that works. highly entertaining to watch as well.
Boxing its definitely effective, the best, maybe not.
As for breaking your hand..it will can happen. In a real fight it doesn't take much for your hand to hit weird, or not exactly in the right spot. Ive broken mine before on a guys head..lol. my 2 outside fingers, broke them bones in my hand.

I feel like Muay Thai would be a better "street defence". But that's just for argument's sake. I agree that boxing is up there for self defense and the training is intense. win win

I feel like Muay Thai would be a better "street defence". But that's just for argument's sake. I agree that boxing is up there for self defense and the training is intense. win win
I would agree with that. Muay Thai, bit your gonna want to know ju jotsu when it goes to the ground. Anyone can throw a punch, but if you wanna see a fish out of water. Put an untrained guy on his back.

Whatever gets you training consistently is the best for self-defence. I like boxing, but it is from Pekiti Tirsia Kali. It has Dumog for groundwork and lots of traps, low kicks and checks. If you stick with Western Boxing; that is fine. It would be best if you practiced bag work without gloves occasionally to get used to the feel.

best defence overall imo is you being proficient in any legit MA and the other guy being untrained.
btw I count wrestling as a legit MA.
And if you know me well you'll know that their is a little passive aggressive shot at Aikido in there, come at me bros! Catch the joke there? lol, I kill me....

best defence overall imo is you being proficient in any legit MA and the other guy being untrained.
btw I count wrestling as a legit MA.
And if you know me well you'll know that their is a little passive aggressive shot at Aikido in there, come at me bros! Catch the joke there? lol, I kill me....
I like Aikido. It's a shame nobody knows how to be a good Uke these days...

I am/was avery prolific and winning martial artist in many disciplines -I had my own eclectic club and my observations were that a variety of standing/transitional area[distance/medium distance/close body touching ]with ground work makes a well rounded defense.However the most important aspect is the practitioner/fighter themselves.Learning focus/emotional restraint/situational assessment-always better to walk away if you can-learning in stress situation so we learn to relax and therefore increase speed and competency in stressful encounters.But "WILL" is a very major contributor to end outcome--if you have the pure will to overcome then even better trained fighters will bow before your expression of martial arts.:)

If we are talking party fights.. then watch bas ruten self defense videos.. alot of stupid but real world stuff he shows that works. highly entertaining to watch as well.
Boxing its definitely effective, the best, maybe not.
As for breaking your hand..it will can happen. In a real fight it doesn't take much for your hand to hit weird, or not exactly in the right spot. Ive broken mine before on a guys head..lol. my 2 outside fingers, broke them bones in my hand.
Same. Broke my pinkie on my dominant when I grazed a guys forehead above his eye. It’s stunned him enough he did not want anymore, which was good cuz I could not have thrown or grabbed with my right.