Astragalus

Sorbate

Board Dumbass
Trusted Member
I started taking Astragalus, at first 1 1500mg tab, then I read the bottle and it said to take 3 so 4500 mg total.

Anyhow yesterday I went hypo after doing cardio but I had eaten like 2 hours before and that should not have happened. I also noticed I was a bit hotter.

Today, about 1.5 hours after taking I am sweating like I am doing cardio, just laying on the couch.

Has anyone else had this issue taking it.

As for why I am taking it, on my last blood test my urine protein was 3 mcg/dl and I know that if you weight train that is not uncommon, but I would like to see it as a negative and there are studies showing the effectiveness with Astragalus in helping to improve kidney function.

I am going to reduce to 2 pills tomorrow and see what happens. But man I am borderline sweating right now.

I started taking Astragalus, at first 1 1500mg tab, then I read the bottle and it said to take 3 so 4500 mg total.

Anyhow yesterday I went hypo after doing cardio but I had eaten like 2 hours before and that should not have happened. I also noticed I was a bit hotter.

Today, about 1.5 hours after taking I am sweating like I am doing cardio, just laying on the couch.

Has anyone else had this issue taking it.

As for why I am taking it, on my last blood test my urine protein was 3 mcg/dl and I know that if you weight train that is not uncommon, but I would like to see it as a negative and there are studies showing the effectiveness with Astragalus in helping to improve kidney function.

I am going to reduce to 2 pills tomorrow and see what happens. But man I am borderline sweating right now.

I was taking 2000 a day and bumped it to 3000 about a month ago. I've always understood that you could dose this stuff crazy high compared to that as I think I saw some studies that showed zero sides. The stuff I use currently is from NOW brand and is a 4:1 extract. I mention that because it seems to come in a wide range of potencies and compounds so maybe that limits the dosage and needs consideration with regards to what I said above.
Never had any sides that I'm aware of.
I recall that you have some other abnormal hypo type reactions besides this, yes? I can't think of a reason Astragalus would cause this, perhaps some other issue and the timing is a coincidence?
Maybe something to do with your hydration level combined with this?
Or a Cardiovascular event? Your description of events sounds very much like a story I have heard from a heart attack victim, sweating, hot and weak but no pain in chest or anywhere. Don't fuck around if in doubt at all my friend, a quick ECG and bloodwork at the ER might be in order.

Astragalus is a herb I take pretty much year round. It is good for your kidneys as you mentioned. I posted a study in the health section. Like @gondar1 I use Now 500 mg per tab and take 3 2 times a day. it is also excellent for fighting off colds/flu and is usually included in adaptogen mixes so it should help your body deal with stress hormones and overall stress.
If you don't head to the doctor and get checked out which I would. I would not mess around with my kidneys and other issues Gondar mentions, go to a local pharmacy and at least buy urinalysis strips and dip your urine to see if there is any protein in your urine. It used to be the standard for physicals before we moved to blood tests. It is no where near as precise as blood tests but pending you didn't have sex/masturbate recently your urine should show no protein. All this being said, if something is off - it is best to get checked out by a doctor and not self monitor.
Let us know how you do please.

@gondar1 , @Goldenrod I was not having a heart attack. I had noticed even when I was taking 1 pill that I was warmer those days, and with 3 fuck I got hot, but it dissipated after about 3 hours before I went to bed. Mind you I also didn't have the AC on last night and it got pretty muggy after the rain. The heat was like what you get when you drink a couple cups of coffee, but lasted longer. Maybe the cup of coffee I drank mixed with the pills didn't help, lol.

The day before yesterday I was doing some skipping and then did hiit cardio. 160 heartrate. Think if I was having a heart attack I might have had one, lol.

Last night was squats and did another pr, oh yeah.

As far as the hypo, I go hypo from coffee sometimes, my blood sugars are never really that high. I can eat ice cream bars and chocolate bars and not usually pass 8 on a blood sugar test. (I did a lot of experimenting when I got the meter, because I was trying to find out why I was going hypo with coffee, which doesn't happen anymore because as long as I eat before coffee I'm fine)In the research I read, astra can control blood sugars.
I'm thinking coffee mixed with Asta did me in. BTW I didn't go hypo last night, was just hot.

I also saw online it can cause heating.

I was just wondering if anyone else had similar sides. Sweating was not overly mentioned, but stomach issues was and I was gettting an upset gut as well.

I may not be able to use it, and if I do eod only 1 pill. Like I said, I was running an experiment and seeing if I could get a negative protein test. But if I get an upset gut and heating it may not be worth it.

I bought the strips. It is showing trace.

I kinda freaked out a bit when I saw the 3 protein on the test and like Dr. Google always does, it pointed straight to kidney disease, lol. Then when I typed in what was the "normal amount of protein in urine" that is when I got the actual amount. Anywhere form 0-14 is considered normal. Also they stated that heavy activity especially weight lifting mixed with high protein diet and this will happen. To top it off I get lots of bubbles when I pee, but its not the protein doing it, just the force of the pee hitting the toilet, likely mixed with the pills I take and so on. (As a note, if I quit taking all my pils my bubbles pretty much go away) Funny part was once I started to freak out, I was getting less bubbles, lol. How I know its not protein, because if I do something as simple as spit in the toilet, that will stop the bubbles from happening, or a tiny piece of toilet paper. If there was too much protein, it would bubble no matter what. (was a recommendation on redit by a doctor to try that as a protein test.)

As a note, tren increases the bubbles, I am done with tren. Maybe someone wants to buy mine 1/2 off, lol. Only primo and test for me from now on.

As I said, I have strips and it is showing trace, below the 6 on their test, 6 being the highest of the range with the color I got. So it could be less, but strips are not that accurate. I took a picture of the color to compare in the future. If it stays the same, I'm not going to worry.

I will keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't increase with blood work in the near future.

When you say hypo do you mean based on how you feel or are you checking your blood sugar with a meter?
I didn't check that night because I know the feeling. But with same symptoms in the past, yeah it would be low, like 4ish. Once I ate it went away after a bit. I didn't eat sugar to get rid of it faster, because I find it may take longer to stop going hypo when you eat normal carbs, but then you feel better and it doesn't rebound and you don't go hypo again.

Unfortunate. Was it an extract or herb form? Perhaps you could try the other? Thats unfortunate, it has plenty of benefits
Extract. Maybe its more potent, so I need to use less.

I think I’ll reduce to 1 pill a day again. I didn’t seem to have issues then.

3 pills is 4500mg of extract.

Last edited:
Hmm I get hot after meals sometimes maybe it’s the astragalus. I read you need to drink more water on it. Also it’s an immune system stimulant, so if you are fighting something maybe it will amp up your bodies response. Try a lower dose I guess.

Just another thought, do you spread your supplements out or just all together once a day? There might be some merit in splitting it up if you don't already.

Hmm I get hot after meals sometimes maybe it’s the astragalus. I read you need to drink more water on it. Also it’s an immune system stimulant, so if you are fighting something maybe it will amp up your bodies response. Try a lower dose I guess.
I noticed I was more stimulated. Maybe that was part of the cause of the heat. Shit for all I know I was burning fat like a mofo, lol.
I was going to take a couple days off and go back to 1 a day. Maybe I respond well.
Just another thought, do you spread your supplements out or just all together once a day? There might be some merit in splitting it up if you don't already.
Yeah I have a tendancy to take everyone all at once after dinner.

I barely remember already, but yeah splitting likely would be better.

Oh and if you want to get hot, take 2 tablespoons of mct oil on an empty stomach, lol.

Ok today was the first day I took Astragulus again.
Only one pill.
I got a bit warmer, nothing crazy, did find that I felt stimulated.
I finished eating around 7:30, took my pills after diner, trained about 1/2 hour later, I was feeling stimulated so checked my blood sugar, it was at 6.2 an hour after eating. Now 3 hours later it is 4.8. I do believe it does regulate blood sugar somewhat, but I did not go hypo on one pill.

I guess 3 was way too many for me. I keep taking 1 pill the rest of the week and see what happens.

I checked my blood pressure as well and it wasn’t bad considering I’m on a cycle 123/78 average.

Ok today was the first day I took Astragulus again.
Only one pill.
I got a bit warmer, nothing crazy, did find that I felt stimulated.
I finished eating around 7:30, took my pills after diner, trained about 1/2 hour later, I was feeling stimulated so checked my blood sugar, it was at 6.2 an hour after eating. Now 3 hours later it is 4.8. I do believe it does regulate blood sugar somewhat, but I did not go hypo on one pill.

I guess 3 was way too many for me. I keep taking 1 pill the rest of the week and see what happens.

I checked my blood pressure as well and it wasn’t bad considering I’m on a cycle 123/78 average.

A little off topic, but you said that you are on a cycle. Where did you finally land in terms of types of gear and dosages? I thought you said you just went with 500mg/week test and that it was working out good?

A little off topic, but you said that you are on a cycle. Where did you finally land in terms of types of gear and dosages? I thought you said you just went with 500mg/week test and that it was working out good?
Lol, lately I’ve been all over the place.
500 mg of test was good, but I had to take an ai to keep balanced and that got tiring. So I opted for my tried and true and went with

250 mg test
200 mg primo every week.

only need a bit of AI after 3 weeks, and likely because I drank heavy on the weekend.

If I stay away from drinking I’ll likely be fine.

I hate having to control estrigen.

I know when my estrogen gets high because my eyes get very irritated plus I become a bit more emotional while watching a movie/tv.

Lol, lately I’ve been all over the place.
500 mg of test was good, but I had to take an ai to keep balanced and that got tiring. So I opted for my tried and true and went with

250 mg test
200 mg primo every week.

only need a bit of AI after 3 weeks, and likely because I drank heavy on the weekend.

If I stay away from drinking I’ll likely be fine.

I hate having to control estrigen.

I know when my estrogen gets high because my eyes get very irritated plus I become a bit more emotional while watching a movie/tv.

Like Titanic? 😂😂

Thanks for responding Sorbate.

Ok, asked the question the right way about astragulus increasing body temperature on Google and got this great study.
I know in the study the did injections, but I am using an extract that is equivalent per pill to 6 grams of dried product per pill.
On the bottle they recommend 3 pills twice a day. I’d roast if I did that, lol.

Anyhow in the study increases of body temperature was observed.

Now it wasn’t a large sample size, but done on healthy individuals.

It also explained the other sides, like lethargy, headaches.

Unfortunatly I cannot find a single study on glucose control and if people were going hypo.

Its too bad because this product offers a bunch of benefits, the one I was most interested in was improving kidney function and increasing egfr scores. I‘m sorry I cannot find that study again.

So I guess I’ll wait till winter and I’m colder to run it. I’ll need to be careful with my diet though because even one pill and I went hypo again today, 4.1 and my hands were shaking.

Mind you if I don’t time my meals properly, I can go hypo from coffee. So I think that may be a me thing.