The stock, investments, ETF, mutual funds thread

If you want to get into following specific stocks and gaining significant knowledge on there ups and down then you can make some money that way how ever if you guess wrong you can lose a lot.

I have invested quite a bit over my life and made sure I was into self directed rrsp and funds so that I could trade when I thought the market had hit a peak ... where i had gained a significant amount ... ie I sold off all my fund ETF's just before covid when the tsx was over 17000 and the DOW was over 29000 and getting close to 30000. I am going to go back in soon as there will be a cure for covid that will come forward, Certain industries like travel and tourist related will take off... so will oil when things get back to normal.

I stay with indexes (EFT's) as they are diversified and trend with the overall market. Right now I am into low risk portfolios as I am 61 retired so I do not want the variability in my portfolio to be significant. So if you do not have knowledge of individual stocks, I think diversification is the way to go. I think the overall market now is low and will rise significantly over a 5 year horizon. The USA market is responsive in terms of risng trends than the Canadian market so I would invest in US eft's and wait for the market to expand after covid and then divest when the market peaks and levels off.

Reactions: 3ml