Taking Z-drugs for Insomnia? Know the Risks

Good question. Many people with depression and anxiety have a great deal of difficulty sleeping and are prescribed zopiclone to treat the insomnia. Many find the dose they require becomes greater with time (typical dependence and increased tolerance) and thus they increase the dose. When it comes time to try to get to sleep with a lower dose it is impossible and the dependence leads to a vicious cycle of over thinking and this contributes to the anxiety and the depression. Many people have scrips for both zopiclone and a PRN of a Benzo as well as a Benzo as part of their pharmacological therapy. This gives access to a couple of drugs that can become addicting and it does seem to be happening more frequently these days. People take multiple PRN's during the day as well as more zopiclone at night. It becomes an addiction. Getting off the meds while living with depression and anxiety is best handled in a rehab setting.
Another scenario seen as well is when people get really down they knock themselves out with zopiclone and sleep through the day. They are more or less using the drug for the entire day and night which obviously is not a good thing. They are not getting through their day without the med and become addicted to the cycle of hiding through sleeping. A good therapist can detect this in clients, but most clients won't admit to being so down. Once this is detected it is time to work on coping skills that do not involve the med or a very reduced dose. Due to the poly pharmacology involved it is best to do so in a rehab setting. Mind you many people can't afford rehab prices and are forced to withdraw at home with the aid of a family doc and the individuals support system.
Kind of brief, but it's late.
https://www.rehabcenter.net/zopiclone/
A colleague went down that path with zoplicone and you pretty much wrote out what happened to him minus the benzo. we are good friends and he told me about it over beers. He beat it and hasn’t used it in over a year - I noticed something was wrong...showing up late to work cause he didn’t sleep and couldn’t get his work done for an extended period. Have respect for anyone who digs themselves out of those situations. Thanks for sharing your knowledge @Bagua - I noticed that medication is sold by some of the resellers of UGl and similar products.

A colleague went down that path with zoplicone and you pretty much wrote out what happened to him minus the benzo. we are good friends and he told me about it over beers. He beat it and hasn’t used it in over a year - I noticed something was wrong...showing up late to work cause he didn’t sleep and couldn’t get his work done for an extended period. Have respect for anyone who digs themselves out of those situations. Thanks for sharing your knowledge @Bagua - I noticed that medication is sold by some of the resellers of UGl and similar products.

Good for your friend. As with any drug we need to be careful and use them as prescribed. Zopiclone haas helped many people through some rough times due to sleep being such an important part of our lives. Others, it just seems to get a hold of.