Sort of a rant

The best car I've ever owned were 1990's japanese. Even Hondas and Toyota will crap on you nowadays.

I have to change the breaks every 25/ 35 000 km with my 2018 mazda. I could go 100+ with 90's *true* japanese.

About ten years ago I started to buy Toyotas. None of these issues, hold their value, and are really nice vehicles.

In that time I did buy a Dodge Eco diesel and what a piece of garbage that was.
Ive always drove old Toyotas for my daily drivers. My company buys Toyotas now. But they having the most trouble with the tacomas , out of chev 1500, 3500 , tundras and f250s. Seems like the Tacomas have the most repairs. Same with my dad, hes had nothing but trouble with his tacoma. These are new vehicles under 75k

Cars are confusing now. When I was 16 I was gifted a 1990 Cavalier, thing was a year older than me. I had problems from day one. But I could go to pick a part and fix it with just being told some basic instructions (smart phones didn't exist and YouTube wasn't being used for anything useful yet) and I could fix that shit. Get a 15 pack of beer and I'd start drinking and I'd wake up and the car would be fixed.. today's cars are confusing at the parts, so expensive. I've totalled every car I've had in the last 10 years so I never had to worry about fixing them lol.

I'm gunna buy a Tesla next. I was so confused when I heard dual motor lol, what motor? It's wheels, a computer and battery.
But did u see the new Tesla trucks with quad motors? They can do tank turns. No problem parkin that thing

Cars are confusing now. When I was 16 I was gifted a 1990 Cavalier, thing was a year older than me. I had problems from day one. But I could go to pick a part and fix it with just being told some basic instructions (smart phones didn't exist and YouTube wasn't being used for anything useful yet) and I could fix that shit. Get a 15 pack of beer and I'd start drinking and I'd wake up and the car would be fixed.. today's cars are confusing at the parts, so expensive. I've totalled every car I've had in the last 10 years so I never had to worry about fixing them lol.

I'm gunna buy a Tesla next. I was so confused when I heard dual motor lol, what motor? It's wheels, a computer and battery.
But did u see the new Tesla trucks with quad motors? They can do tank turns. No problem parkin that thing
I bought a 1990 cavalier rs in 1991. Had the 3.2l motor I believe. Bought it off a salesman at my dads shop, had 100,000 km on it. But was basically a brand new car.

I didn’t corner very well, so I put some 120psi gas charged shocks and struts in it and slapped on some 245/60 tires and I could fly around corners pretty good after that.

I had always drove 70’s era cars before that, so it kinda felt like a tin can, lol.

I had a 350 chev motor I had rebuilt after a lady had cut me off in my 1971 Caprice Classic (man that car was great, like a bed on wheels), I had lowered that car by 2” by heating the springs and ran 60 series tires on it as well, so when she cut me off at a light in the station wagon version of my car, well my bumper went under hers and it turned the front end into an accordian.

So my dad had given my brother the 1980 El CAMINO he had restored, it had a 265 v8, so I traded my brother cars, because he hated that car, I wanted it because it weighed 2800 lbs, threw that motor into it (made over 300 hp for sure) and a friend of mine his dad owned a transmission shop, so he had a stage 3, manual shift turbo 350 that he built for a bracket racer that he had no use for, I had a couple cars laying around at the farm I had blown up, so he traded me for a couple cores. Since I designed the motor to run 3-7000 rpm, I bought a 3500 stall off him and put it all in. Downside was I could never get any traction off the line, would burn the tires off. I didn’t have the money to install ladder bars (coil rear end) or afford really sticky tires, which really didnt’ exist for the street then anyways, so I would have to wait till I hit 50 km before racing, lol. Plus the stock motor mounts really didn’t like the high rpm launches, and they kinda wore out quick, so I used a couple tie down straps attached from the motor to the frame to reduce the twisting.

Another thing I loved about that car, was behind the seat under the box, there was enough room for 2 full sized spare tires. So I fiberglassed a faceplate in with 1”mdf and made a tuned box that held 4 10” subs.

That car was kinda squinty, I never did finish the bodywork for the hood scoop, just riveted a white hood scoop on a blue car, lol. But had to use a hood scoop because with a jr. Victor manifold and a 1” spacer under the carb, well the whole air cleaner stuck out of the hood. Which was fine because I wanted to suck in cool air.

I used to love working on cars. Now I only do oil changes. No time and it costs way too much. Back then if you could port heads, and searched the junk yard, without changing pistons, you could rebuild a motor for just over a grand with a new manifold, new headers, carb, springs and cam.

Last edited:
I bought a 1990 cavalier rs in 1991. Had the 3.2l motor I believe. Bought it off a salesman at my dads shop, had 100,000 km on it. But was basically a brand new car.

I didn’t corner very well, so I put some 120psi gas charged shocks and struts in it and slapped on some 245/60 tires and I could fly around corners pretty good after that.

I had always drove 70’s era cars before that, so it kinda felt like a tin can, lol.

I had a 350 chev motor I had rebuilt after a lady had cut me off in my 1971 Caprice Classic (man that car was great, like a bed on wheels), I had lowered that car by 2” by heating the springs and ran 60 series tires on it as well, so when she cut me off at a light in the station wagon version of my car, well my bumper went under hers and it turned the front end into an accordian.

So my dad had given my brother the 1980 El CAMINO he had restored, it had a 265 v8, so I traded my brother cars, because he hated that car, I wanted it because it weighed 2800 lbs, threw that motor into it (made over 300 hp for sure) and a friend of mine his dad owned a transmission shop, so he had a stage 3, manual shift turbo 350 that he built for a bracket racer that he had no use for, I had a couple cars laying around at the farm I had blown up, so he traded me for a couple cores. Since I designed the motor to run 3-7000 rpm, I bought a 3500 stall off him and put it all in. Downside was I could never get any traction off the line, would burn the tires off. I didn’t have the money to install ladder bars (coil rear end) or afford really sticky tires, which really didnt’ exist for the street then anyways, so I would have to wait till I hit 50 km before racing, lol. Plus the stock motor mounts really didn’t like the high rpm launches, and they kinda wore out quick, so I used a couple tie down straps attached from the motor to the frame to reduce the twisting.

Another thing I loved about that car, was behind the seat under the box, there was enough room for 2 full sized spare tires. So I fiberglassed a faceplate in with 1”mdf and made a tuned box that held 4 10” subs.

That car was kinda squinty, I never did finish the bodywork for the hood scoop, just riveted a white hood scoop on a blue car, lol. But had to use a hood scoop because with a jr. Victor manifold and a 1” spacer under the carb, well the whole air cleaner stuck out of the hood. Which was fine because I wanted to suck in cool air.

I used to love working on cars. Now I only do oil changes. No time and it costs way too much. Back then if you could port heads, and searched the junk yard, without changing pistons, you could rebuild a motor for just over a grand with a new manifold, new headers, carb, springs and cam.
I put two big ass speakers under the box