passwords for email encryption

rrrrolla

Trusted Member
If you are going to email a source but you need to use a password for encryption, what is the best way to do this? I have a tutanota account, but if the receiver uses something different, we will both need to know a password. Do you send them a message on here stating what password youre going to use? Or do most have email accounts with all the major encrypted email providers and just use the appropriate one for whom you are emailing? Theres probably a dead simple solution to this, sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have both Protonmail and Tutanota and haven't had the need for a password as of yet.

Isn't it something you request or select when writing the email, or perhaps an account setting?

Just click that little padlock icon. It’s right by the subject line. That will unlock the need for a password.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rygran thats what ive been doing, but doesnt that mean its no longer secure? Maybe thats where I'm mistaken.

I think Tutanota is always secure regardless of that password. The password is only an additional measure of security. I’m not sure about anyone else, but I just send messages without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by default sending from one encrypted email system to the exact same all your traffic is encrypted
so for instant tutanota to tutanota is encrypted

sending from any encrypted email to any other email system by default is not encrypted
so for instance sending from tutanota to protonmail is not encrypted

for those instances you are promoted to first create a password and then the reciever would enter that password to decrypt the message
you would send that password by some other means to the intended recipient of that email so they can enter it and decrypt the message
if that password is lost or forgotten that email cannot be opened.

emails that are encrypted cannot be read by the server admin. this is very important security wise.
anyone not using an encrypted email is taking a risk that their emails could be read by server admins and or intercepted when sent and then read

the only risk with a encrypted email system is if the password was hacked. if you use a complex password made up of letters, numbers and symbols the chance of being hacked are somewhere near slim to none.
also its important to log out of your email every time
and to keep your password list in a secure place preferably not in a unencypted word document on your desktop.
also be careful to not log into a public computer and forget to log out.

by default sending from one encrypted email system to the exact same all your traffic is encrypted
so for instant tutanota to tutanota is encrypted

sending from any encrypted email to any other email system by default is not encrypted
so for instance sending from tutanota to protonmail is not encrypted

for those instances you are promoted to first create a password and then the reciever would enter that password to decrypt the message
you would send that password by some other means to the intended recipient of that email so they can enter it and decrypt the message
if that password is lost or forgotten that email cannot be opened.

emails that are encrypted cannot be read by the server admin. this is very important security wise.
anyone not using an encrypted email is taking a risk that their emails could be read by server admins and or intercepted when sent and then read

the only risk with a encrypted email system is if the password was hacked. if you use a complex password made up of letters, numbers and symbols the chance of being hacked are somewhere near slim to none.
also its important to log out of your email every time
and to keep your password list in a secure place preferably not in a unencypted word document on your desktop.
also be careful to not log into a public computer and forget to log out.
This is one of the main reasons I do not like Tutanota as a secured e-mail provider and prefer ProtonMail. As Taureau stated, both encrypt end to end when sent within their own systems. The difference is that ProtonMail supports OpenPGP which is an encryption protocol supported by just about every other provider out there. So if the receiver has configured OpenPGP, the message can be delivered encrypted to just about any account. This is NOT possible with Tutanota. Their workaround was to develop the password system which I personally find useless.

Robi's word of advice.... switch to protonmail and set yourself up with OpenPGP that way everything will always be encrypted. Simple.