just got a new streaming device

Evil Spock

Trusted Member
https://www.amazon.ca/Android-Sidiw...ndroid+10&qid=1577211797&s=electronics&sr=1-3
i got it because it was so cheap, $40 and it had android 10. as i understand it, with android 10 google can push security updates through the google play store so you dont have to depend on the manufacturer to get around to updates. with cheap Chinese electronics, that almost never. hopefully, this will prolong the relevancy of the device.
i did a couple of 4k streaming tests from youtube. no fkn problem. no delays, stuttering or buffering. a little clunky when switching apps or web sites with firefox but ive never used a android box that could as well as a PC.

cant play sound for 480p downloaded video files but can for 1080 720 and 4k. weird.

Last edited:
If you use it for tv, get a VPN - 100 for 3 years, real debrid - 13 euros for 6. Months, go to troypoint.com and get Tvzion and paynthen 20 a year for their cached shows and movies, it is amazing, there are others but looks like Netflix and works as well pending you have good internet.

If you use it for tv, get a VPN - 100 for 3 years, real debrid - 13 euros for 6. Months, go to troypoint.com and get Tvzion and paynthen 20 a year for their cached shows and movies, it is amazing, there are others but looks like Netflix and works as well pending you have good internet.

i just cant bring my self to pay for something that is being stolen when i can steal it myself from the same source. most torrent sites have direct streams from the torrent links. more of a manual operation without the fancy interfaces of the apps like tvzion.

im going to update my review of this box to a dont recommend.
1.the android 10 idea was bad. its too early. id stick to 9.0 devices im finding slight compatibility issues for apps and google play doesnt seem to really support their own android tv platform. even though the mobile apps work fine, play store often wont provide them. i have to use aptoid which are questionable and arent always up to date from them so then i have to direct dl an apk.
2. out of the box set up was poor. im using the simplest setup, just hdmi to tv. no stereo system. inital video was choppy and no sound with pops so i assumed it was decoding problems. vlc mx and codec packs didnt fix. it was sound settings, enable pass through.
3. interface should be better. i dont know if all android tv boxes are this simple but anyone using an android phone will find this lacking. i cant remove widets like netflix from the desktop and i cant create direct shortcuts to exact folders.
4. its a little clunky switching apps and web pages, maybe a 4gb ram device would improve.
5. it said 5Ghz wifi, i can only get it to see 2.4Ghz. not a deal breaker but just dishonest
6. no current apps button( right soft button on android phone). dont know if this is and android tv thing, android 10 thing or just a cheap chinese junk thing but it is just another pia of this thing.
i got everthing working fine but its not easy enough to get for my old parents. i tried rooting, adding 3rd party interfaces and other xda forum hacks to improve but ended up just breaking the android os.

Last edited:
can anyone recommend how to get free hd sports streams? NHL for sure, maybe international hockey? maybe NFL? PPV fights?

can anyone recommend how to get free hd sports streams? NHL for sure, maybe international hockey? maybe NFL? PPV fights?
If you find one let me know. Ive never found anything that played flawless in HD. This is the only reason I pay for cable

If you find one let me know. Ive never found anything that played flawless in HD. This is the only reason I pay for cable

almost all my friends say the same
am i missing something or is the nhl live subscription price insane compared to what you get with a paid subscription sports channel?

almost all my friends say the same
am i missing something or is the nhl live subscription price insane compared to what you get with a paid subscription sports channel?
The problem with the nhl live one is that all the local games were blacked out....at least thats the way it was 5 years ago. I canceled it right away. I only got the games that were not on TV. I think it was 219$ a year back then. I waited until they dropped the price halfway through the season