Effect of opiates on testosterone

vancitybb

Trusted Member
This is a topic I rarely see discussed, and I know painkillers can be prevalent in bodybuilding/powerlifting circles. It is important to understand the negative effect opiate (ab)use can have on testosterone production. I personally know several people who are on HRT strictly as a consequence of long-term opiate use. When I sought out treatment for low test my doc actually asked if I had a history with gear or opiates. I'm surprised this isn't more widely known, given the ongoing opiate crisis.

Further reading:
https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/testosterone-deficiency-a-side-effect-of-opioids

This is a topic I rarely see discussed, and I know painkillers can be prevalent in bodybuilding/powerlifting circles. It is important to understand the negative effect opiate (ab)use can have on testosterone production. I personally know several people who are on HRT strictly as a consequence of long-term opiate use. When I sought out treatment for low test my doc actually asked if I had a history with gear or opiates. I'm surprised this isn't more widely known, given the ongoing opiate crisis.

Further reading:
https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/testosterone-deficiency-a-side-effect-of-opioids
Doctors will actually prescribe test for long term methadone users, as the test levels can be severely effected.

good topic and doctors are now becoming more knowledgeable on this. I was, at one point, on prescribed narcotic pain killers for a major injury and chronic issues that resulted. I did not abuse the medication. the medication killed the pain but killed my sex drive, dropped my testosterone, made it impossible to orgasm, and in general the sides eventually made me stop completely. I'm still in pain but I found other ways to deal with it so I can be active.
My first doctor - prescribed oxycontin around 15 years ago - when I showed up with the aforementioned issues, had no idea why I was having these issues.

good topic and doctors are now becoming more knowledgeable on this. I was, at one point, on prescribed narcotic pain killers for a major injury and chronic issues that resulted. I did not abuse the medication. the medication killed the pain but killed my sex drive, dropped my testosterone, made it impossible to orgasm, and in general the sides eventually made me stop completely. I'm still in pain but I found other ways to deal with it so I can be active.
My first doctor - prescribed oxycontin around 15 years ago - when I showed up with the aforementioned issues, had no idea why I was having these issues.

I've had people very close to me in this same situation. Back in those days the doc would hand out oxy like candy, and seemed oblivious to (or willfully ignorant of) these side effects. Congrats for getting yourself out of that trap.

thanks vancitybb - I stopped cold turkey as I was tired of the side effects. It wasn't that awful but like a small flu for a few weeks. I never abused them though - took it as prescribed.