Covid 19: DHEA and the Immune System

Oldguyjiujitsu

OAF
Trusted Member
Here is an excerpt from an email I received today from my TRT doctor to his patients:

Over these years we have accumulated a very significant amount of experience as it relates to hormone treatment of women and men over the age of 50. With the coronavirus, we have all come to learn that people over the age of 60 are especially susceptible to the complications of this infection. Those infected over the age of 60 with significant underlying medical issues, are at a higher risk of death. It has been known for many years, that as we age, our immune system function deteriorates. This decline in immune function has been termed ‘immunosenescence’ (1).

While medical science has known about this decline in immune function for many years, the underlying causes are not clearly known. There are a number of very clear changes that happen: (2,3)
  • Decreased white blood cell (neutrophil) function
  • Decreased natural killer (NK) function
  • Thymus atrophy
  • Decreased naïve T-cell numbers
Over the years, an association has been drawn between declining hormone levels and immune function. A term called ‘endocrinesenescence' has been coined for this association (7,8). As we age, the hypothalamic-pituitary (HPA) axis in the brain, undergoes a number of changes and becomes chronically over-activated. This HPA over-activation, which is in part due to declining sex hormone levels, leads to a reduced ability to fight viral infectious diseases such as influenza. As well, DHEA production declines by up to 90% from the levels seen in young healthy people. In fact, lab reference ranges are ‘adjusted’ for age to make this seem like normal! DHEA is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands and higher levels are linked to improved quality of life. DHEA is the natural balancing hormone that counter balances the negative effects of cortisol in the body. As we age, cortisol levels increase and this rise has negative effects on the immune system. These changes in DHEA and cortisol seen with the aging process lead to an elevated cortisol/DHEA ratio. This altered ratio interferes with immune function by reducing the CD+4-CD+8 ratio of T-helper cells (4,5,6,9). The net effect is an inability to clear viral infections, particularly in the elderly. As well, DHEA has been shown to improve the Th1 side of the immune response, which is particularly important in fighting viral infections (13). There is also evidence that adding zinc to DHEA supplementation boosts the Th1 side if the immune system (12).

At Our clinics, we have used DHEA as an integral part of our TRT program since its inception. While the evidence is scant, there is in fact human evidence of an improvement in immune function in men over the age of 60 with DHEA. Khorran et al (10) treated men with 50 mg of DHEA. They observed a 20% increase in IGF-1, which is a surrogate marker of human growth hormone. There was also a significant activation of the immune function, with a 40% increase in T cell activation. T cells are the arm of the immune system involved in protecting us from viral infections. There are a number of valid scientific articles that show improved immune function with supplemental DHEA.

In summary, as we age our natural production of DHEA declines. Parallel to this, we experience a decline in our immune system function and its ability to fight viral infections. While association does not prove causation, the observed improvement in immune function with DHEA supplementation is scientifically intriguing. One could argue that since DHEA is available over the counter in the USA, there is no desire for DHEA research in the pharmaceutical community. Conspiracy theorists would cite this as a reason for the lack of scientific interest and studies. I am not of this opinion and believe economic factors explain the lack of sponsored studies. With a significant part of the population ‘at risk’, we do not have the benefit of time to research this area. I have seen no suggestions of treatment programs to reduce risk of coronavirus infection or complications of infection. In the absence of better alternatives, I feel compelled to bring the potential benefits of DHEA supplementation to light.

I believe in the context of a global viral pandemic, DHEA supplementation should be considered in ‘at risk’ individuals. Those individuals would be persons 60 years of age or older, especially if they have underlying metabolic or respiratory diseases. I also believe DHEA should be administered in the context of a TRT Program which offers testing, appropriate dosing and proper follow up.

I trust one of the lessons we take from this ongoing tragedy, is that further study of DHEA must be done. If corporate interests see no utility to this medication, government should step in to sponsor proper scientific studies in the future. As well, Health Canada should be held responsible for their decision to label DHEA as an anabolic hormone that requires a medical prescription. I would ask, why in the USA, is this naturally produced compound sold in grocery stores if it is in fact 'dangerous'? Health Canada should review and amend its designation for DHEA when this pandemic crisis passes.

I think this is the study he cites. It's not very big. It looks like he has other references, but none listed.

I think this is the study he cites. It's not very big. It looks like he has other references, but none listed.
I have all his references if interested.

All I know is that I am going to keep taking 25 mg per day as insurance until this is over. Less cortisol is good for me.

Wow i didn't even know DHEA was banned in canada, was just reading about it and considered taking it. That sucks

Wow i didn't even know DHEA was banned in canada, was just reading about it and considered taking it. That sucks
If you have access to the states you can get it any vitamin shop or drugstore, if not maybe one of the UGLs can source some. I am sure people maybe willing to pay a small premium for the access. They can probably source a quality product as well.

If you have access to the states you can get it any vitamin shop or drugstore, if not maybe one of the UGLs can source some. I am sure people maybe willing to pay a small premium for the access. They can probably source a quality product as well.

Ordered some from a US supplement website, hope the order gets processed and shipped

Most supplement sites have it so if you order it, it tells you the order can’t be shipped to canada and doesn’t let you checkout

I wonder if any research/peptides sites sell it in canada?

Ordered some from a US supplement website, hope the order gets processed and shipped

Most supplement sites have it so if you order it, it tells you the order can’t be shipped to canada and doesn’t let you checkout

Sometimes if you order from amazon.com the US site you can get things not normally allowed across. I ordered lidocaine pain relief rub that way. Takes a while though.

I have enough to last me for a few months at 50 mg, I’ll start cutting the pills in 1/2.

I have never had success ordering from US as they won’t ship through customs.

it would be great if a peptide company would carry as to get it by script in CDN it is compounded so like $100 for 90 pils. (Versus $55 USD for 250 pills)

Sometimes if you order from amazon.com the US site you can get things not normally allowed across. I ordered lidocaine pain relief rub that way. Takes a while though.

I have enough to last me for a few months at 50 mg, I’ll start cutting the pills in 1/2.
I overheard the pharmacist talking to a doctor once and they were questioning whether lidocaine cream was non persciption. There’s a certain concentration that is non prescription but it’s behind the counter. Not sure if that saves you the hassle

if I have success on the site I order from, I’ll post the link up
back when jack3d/oxy elite was banned, I always ordered it from the states and it passed customs no problem

I overheard the pharmacist talking to a doctor once and they were questioning whether lidocaine cream was non persciption. There’s a certain concentration that is non prescription but it’s behind the counter. Not sure if that saves you the hassle

back when jack3d/oxy elite was banned, I always ordered it from the states and it passed customs no problem
Cool, didn’t know it was behind the counter.
I found that the arcana natural rub a535 worked better anyways than the 2% lidocane, but massage therapy works better than masking the symptoms, lol.

so I ordered from mysupplementstore.com
I got 2 bottles of life extensions dhea 100mg x 60caps and it came without any issues

was like $40usd with shipping

As well as dhea, vit d is highly recommended especially right now since we are not getting sun or can’t go tanning in tanning beds.

100 mg is way too large a dose for a woman. My wife got acne and moodiness from the increased hormone production.
I only give her and take myself 25 mg. It seems to be the perfect dose for her.

100 mg is way too large a dose for a woman. My wife got acne and moodiness from the increased hormone production.
I only give her and take myself 25 mg. It seems to be the perfect dose for her.

My TRT dr says he does not prescribe above 50mg. They put me on. 25mg and put me back in the normal range...and my BW showed I was quite low before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk