Bloods update Hemoglobin/Hematocrit question

Bobrebooted

Trusted Member
Just got the results of my quarterly bloodwork, and everything is looking ok I think, at least better than past bloods. I'll wait until my doc appointment this week to know for sure. Without going into everything, there are a few areas I'd like some feedback on. Estradiol is creeping higher and higher, at 207 this round but I feel fine, none of the symptoms that I can tell. Test is 27.0, free test 803. My big question is Hemoglobin and Hematocrit. Hemo is 177 and hematocrit is 50.5. Both in the "high" range, but I guess what I'm asking is how high is time to get concerned high? As always, thanks guys

Before diving too deep into this, were you well hydrated before drawing the blood? Recommendation is about 1.5-2L of water before the draw to get accurate blood counts.

Donate blood, problem fixed.

And being dehydrated makes a big difference.

Myself I get bloods done acting the same way I would normally. This way I get a true reading of how I am, instead of being perfect for a week before going in.

Just like I take my blood pressure after doing normal things, so different times, sometimes after coffee, and I don’t completely calm myself beforehand. I think when you do that, you are fooling yourself and not getting an accurate reading.

Just got the results of my quarterly bloodwork, and everything is looking ok I think, at least better than past bloods. I'll wait until my doc appointment this week to know for sure. Without going into everything, there are a few areas I'd like some feedback on. Estradiol is creeping higher and higher, at 207 this round but I feel fine, none of the symptoms that I can tell. Test is 27.0, free test 803. My big question is Hemoglobin and Hematocrit. Hemo is 177 and hematocrit is 50.5. Both in the "high" range, but I guess what I'm asking is how high is time to get concerned high? As always, thanks guys
I've had hematocrit up to .57 and definitely donate by then

Thanks guys, you always have the answers i need. Dehydration may be an issue. Im asked to always take my blood fasted, probably because of my pre-diabetes, but when i stop eating, i usually stop drinking too, so i likely hadn't had any water since about 7 pm the night before

Zero concern until haematocrit goes above 53. Then simple answer as @Sorbate says donate
This. I refuse some phlebotomy's as my doc has it for anything over 50. But if I get too many my iron stores go to low and I get dizzy for few weeks and need to take iron pills. Doc isn't happy but I told him I can't be dizzy working on a psych floor as it puts me at risk and that shut him up.

Thanks guys, you always have the answers i need. Dehydration may be an issue. Im asked to always take my blood fasted, probably because of my pre-diabetes, but when i stop eating, i usually stop drinking too, so i likely hadn't had any water since about 7 pm the night before
When I get my next bloods, I will ask to do the unfasten one. I was told by the nurse that took my bloods for insurance that they can easily calculate it and that fasted is not really essential.

Plus I find it near impossible to go in first thing in the morning and line up fir an hour with everyone else.

I agree with what everyone has said thus far. Donating will cure that for sure. However, it’s known that test in general will increase those levels and is considered relatively normal levels and not abnormally high per se. That’s directly from my TRT doc.

I usually donate 3x year. Since I started donating the levels are both completely normalized however, when my levels were like yours the concern was relatively minimal.

So I go with what my doc says and make the donation a few times a year.

Just donated on Saturday. The app gives your hemoglobin level in g/L back to 2016 even graphs it. I have a donation at 181 usually I'm 160. Not sure how hemoglobin relates to hemocrit and if there is a conversion. Always feel better after donating.

Dont overlook doing cardio too. If you can get it all under control with cardio and hydration, I'd go that route over donating as that has its own set of problems associated with it. Besides cardio is good for you!