Berberine Experiences

Brbpuppy

Trusted Member
Curious if anyone could share their thoughts on Berberine. It's something I've been on fence about implementing lately, the more I look into it.
If so, what dosage did you run, for how long, and what benefits did you notice? Seems like a very promising alternative to Metformin.

Thanks guys,

Curious if anyone could share their thoughts on Berberine. It's something I've been on fence about implementing lately, the more I look into it.
If so, what dosage did you run, for how long, and what benefits did you notice? Seems like a very promising alternative to Metformin.

Thanks guys,

Interesting enough you can combine them together but beware of acidosis. 500mg berberine and 500mg metformin will work like 2g metformin. 1+1=3 in this case. Berberine does has some very good health benefits, so always try to get that in as well.

As to which one is better…I still haven’t seen any studies to support either or. But the insulin sensitivity within muscles will be mostly mediated via metformin not berberine.

Last edited:
I use it on vacation when im hitting a lot of buffets and booze. Take 2 with every meal and 2 before bed. It probably cuts down on 60% of the bloat i would get without using it.
Obviously good for high carb days on a regular basis
You actually notice its effects without needing to build up saturation over time?

You actually notice its effects without needing to build up saturation over time?
All i know is that one trip i gained 28lbs on a 4 day trip. I went there on a strict keto diet and then started to pound food, the rebound was retarded. A guy i know told me to do this next time and it really seemed to help. Been doing it ever since.

All i know is that one trip i gained 28lbs on a 4 day trip. I went there on a strict keto diet and then started to pound food, the rebound was retarded. A guy i know told me to do this next time and it really seemed to help. Been doing it ever since.
Crazy, thanks for sharing.

Did you monitor your blood sugar levels while using it or was there other reasons for taking it?

Old thread...apologies for that. I use Berberine @ 500mgs with my pre workout meal (containing carbs obviously) and 500mgs with cheat meal followed by 1000mgs on cheat meal day before bed. Bloat is minimized and pre workout pumps are increased

Old thread...apologies for that. I use Berberine @ 500mgs with my pre workout meal (containing carbs obviously) and 500mgs with cheat meal followed by 1000mgs on cheat meal day before bed. Bloat is minimized and pre workout pumps are increased
I started using it recently and I'm certain it helps me feel less bloated and seems to just speed processing a heavy carb meal up. So far I'm liking it. Want to start testing my blood glucose levels.

Please straighten me out if I'm getting it twisted, I don't use it and I may be out of touch but it's supposed to lower Blood Sugar correct? If so I'd think Peri-Workout would be very bad timing, isn't that the one time of the day you want BS high?

I'm not super confident that I'm not misunderstanding or missing something, I've got lots to learn in this area...

Please straighten me out if I'm getting it twisted, I don't use it and I may be out of touch but it's supposed to lower Blood Sugar correct? If so I'd think Peri-Workout would be very bad timing, isn't that the one time of the day you want BS high?

I'm not super confident that I'm not misunderstanding or missing something, I've got lots to learn in this area...

Well it's supposed to help shuttle glycogen into the muscle right?
But I think you would still be better off with the high BS pre-workout...

Well it's supposed to help shuttle glycogen into the muscle right?
But I think you would still be better off with the high BS pre-workout...
That's the part or part of the part that makes me feel shaky on the whole subject. I'm not sure I'm going to even be able to ask intelligent questions here. But... I'll state as my understanding and expect corrections will come.

It helps shuttle Glucose from the blood into both Muscle AND Fat where it is stored as Glycogen. Into muscle promotes building of muscle and into fat promotes fat.
I guess that's why I'm focused on focused on having high Blood Glucose levels - so that material is available to muscle cells. I can see it now may be one of those little circles, Bunch of carbs ingested to get BG up so it's available, Berberine introduced to help shuttle BG into desired muscle cells which leaves less BG in the blood (my original focal point) which concerns me but shows the importance of the point you brought up because it has accomplished the delivery goal (?)

Hopefully that sounds about right , still leaves me with a million questions though. For example if that's all pretty much correct it would leave me concerned about the detail that it helps transport Glucose to fat cells. In my head this all ties heavily into how guys can get fat in a hurry using insulin.
For some reason this area tends to always leave me with more questions than I came in with even though I might leave with a few more answers too. I have learned enough about Insulin to know that I will never use it or be in a position to tell someone else to use it so I tend to bail on trying to figure it all out when the going gets tough. Berberine and Metformin both are tied into that scenario so tightly for me.

My understanding is that it helps partition carbohydrates and thats exactly when you want them working. I believe it is the Guerilla Chemist that I got this tip from

That's the part or part of the part that makes me feel shaky on the whole subject. I'm not sure I'm going to even be able to ask intelligent questions here. But... I'll state as my understanding and expect corrections will come.

It helps shuttle Glucose from the blood into both Muscle AND Fat where it is stored as Glycogen. Into muscle promotes building of muscle and into fat promotes fat.
I guess that's why I'm focused on focused on having high Blood Glucose levels - so that material is available to muscle cells. I can see it now may be one of those little circles, Bunch of carbs ingested to get BG up so it's available, Berberine introduced to help shuttle BG into desired muscle cells which leaves less BG in the blood (my original focal point) which concerns me but shows the importance of the point you brought up because it has accomplished the delivery goal (?)

Hopefully that sounds about right , still leaves me with a million questions though. For example if that's all pretty much correct it would leave me concerned about the detail that it helps transport Glucose to fat cells. In my head this all ties heavily into how guys can get fat in a hurry using insulin.
For some reason this area tends to always leave me with more questions than I came in with even though I might leave with a few more answers too. I have learned enough about Insulin to know that I will never use it or be in a position to tell someone else to use it so I tend to bail on trying to figure it all out when the going gets tough. Berberine and Metformin both are tied into that scenario so tightly for me.

Dude you are so good at sharing your thoughts, I love reading your comments. I have a lot to learn on this subject as well. Just wish more people would share their experiences!!

My understanding is that it helps partition carbohydrates and thats exactly when you want them working. I believe it is the Guerilla Chemist that I got this tip from
Yeah I heard it from that source as well as many others.

I used it for 2 years straight. 500mg with breakfast and 500mg aorund dinner.

It most deffinitely lowered my blodo sugars by about a full point, possibly more.. I have a very steady diet and anytime I stop for a few weeks, my am blood sugars go up about 1 point.

I went down to 500mg once a day for the last 4 months or so... I was worried about the long term possible side of muscle degeneration/lower protien syntheis.. It still helps my fasting blood sugars at 500mg once a day.