Any car guys here

NovaScotiaMan

Trusted Member
I am looking for a 1962 to 1966 327 small journal block and crank stock preferred but would buy .30 over if it’s ready to go and does not require any machining would like to find it in the Atlantic provinces as shipping is crazy but depending on condition I’d buy it out of Ontario am asking on here as everyone I’ve death with has been honest I bought a engine out of Barry O.N 3 weeks ago the guys sent me a image of a 1966 327 casting number but the block landed at my brothers and what landed was a 1960 283 block I hoped it was just a mistake on the sellers part but he won t reply back to me so looks like I’ve been scammed if anyone has what am looking for and willing to sell please pm me!

I bet it will be extremely had to find that block. They were very desirable.

Likely would be far easier to find a 2 bolt main 350 and pin the mains if you plan on running more than 300 hp.

1.74 x 1.43 (I believe that was the size) heads would likely be easy to find and you could just port them for better flow. Unless you plan on pulling 500 hp with a ton of rpm, that would likely suffice. That is all I did years ago. My mistake was to turn 8000 rpm with bronze guide inserts, the guides only lasted 60,000 k. I ran that rpm because I didn't want to change pistons from the low compression ones (the motor itself only had 50,000 k, so I just honed and reringed) and made the hp cheap thru rpm.

Sorry to hear you got scammed. I’ve been burned a few times buying car parts.

I just sold a 69 327 large journal block about a year ago. I think I only got $100 or $200 for it.

If you want a car guy to check out another listing in Ontario, let me know. If it’s local I can.

I have a large journal 327 in my truck and and a 500 hp 350 4 bolt in my nova but I’ve got a pile of stuff a older gentleman sold me to build a animal of a small joural Kieth black forgred flattops forgers rods vortec head roller rockers the list goes on and on just need the block and crank even if I can just get the block scat sells the crank and it’s forged but it’s 1600 I’d reluctantly pay it if I had a good block

That’s a 327 small journal there I’ve had tucked away for years but it’s .50 over there not inuff meat left to build a drag engine your gunna run at 7500 8000 rpm

Attachments

• IMG_2009.png
    IMG_2009.png
    540.6 KB · Views: 6
That’s a 327 small journal there I’ve had tucked away for years but it’s .50 over there not inuff meat left to build a drag engine your gunna run at 7500 8000 rpm
I never threw the crank in my small journal 350. But I did pin the mains because it was only a 2 bolt. Once you pin the mains, it is not rebuildable because the caps are now permenant. My bet is I was around 250-300 hp.
I learned this trick from one of my dads race motor books. It was a book on how to build motors on a budget. They were pulling up to 500 hp this way and turning up to 8000 rpm.

As I said I didn’t have enough money to bore and put in new pistons, figured I’d blow the car up after year so did a budget build. 9:1 compression but the motor was designed to run 3000-8500 rpm.

Stock distributor easily handled the rpm.

It’s too bad I crashed it before I could put ladder bars on it and change rear end gearing, with a 2800 stall (manual shift auto body 350) it would launch so hard I could never keep the rubber on the ground under 40kpm.

That motor would accelerate so quickly that when I would race, I’d drop it into 1st, it would go from 2500-6500 rpm so quickly the alternator/water pump belt would stretch so bad it would pop off, first time it happened I had to turn the crank by hand to pull the belt back on the alternator pully. Thank god I had insanely strong hands back then, lol. Mind you I likely gained a few hp, losing the alternator and water pump, lol. Also won that race.

They were the good old days and yes you must a hand some set a hands on you to fucking spin that holy fuck, all give it a 3 months if I can t find the block all buy a 383 stroker for this summer all eventually find the small journal block there are around hidden in barns under benches guys have them tucked away, and eventually realize they’re never gonna do anything with them they pop up

I never threw the crank in my small journal 350. But I did pin the mains because it was only a 2 bolt. Once you pin the mains, it is not rebuildable because the caps are now permenant. My bet is I was around 250-300 hp.
I learned this trick from one of my dads race motor books. It was a book on how to build motors on a budget. They were pulling up to 500 hp this way and turning up to 8000 rpm.

As I said I didn’t have enough money to bore and put in new pistons, figured I’d blow the car up after year so did a budget build. 9:1 compression but the motor was designed to run 3000-8500 rpm.

Stock distributor easily handled the rpm.

It’s too bad I crashed it before I could put ladder bars on it and change rear end gearing, with a 2800 stall (manual shift auto body 350) it would launch so hard I could never keep the rubber on the ground under 40kpm.

That motor would accelerate so quickly that when I would race, I’d drop it into 1st, it would go from 2500-6500 rpm so quickly the alternator/water pump belt would stretch so bad it would pop off, first time it happened I had to turn the crank by hand to pull the belt back on the alternator pully. Thank god I had insanely strong hands back then, lol. Mind you I likely gained a few hp, losing the alternator and water pump, lol. Also won that race.
Most guys couldn’t spin that engine with the spark plugs out of it lol

Most guys couldn’t spin that engine with the spark plugs out of it lol
Well it was lower compression and I was desperate. It was middle of the night and I was alone kinda in nowhere. I think the beer helped as well, lol. You know the early 90's, things were different.

I remember when I changed a tranny once, I laid the transmission on my chest, rolled under the car (on one of those floor roller things)and benched it into position. I was by myself, once I got it up and in the guide pins as much as I could, I used my knee to hold the tail in place as I spun in a bolt. Once I got the bottom two bolts in I wasn't as worried and slipped the crossmember under the back.

I was really strong for my size and stubborn. I'd get really angry and shit would happen, lol.

It was only a turbo 350 though so not that heavy.

I also lifted a bare block (chev 350) and placed it in the back seat of the crap car I owned to take it in to be acid washed. Stuck one hand down the bore and lifted.

I only weighed 120lb back then, just muscle skin and bone, I had zero fat on me in my youth.

I’ve got a 1986 Buick Grand National 3.8 turbo sitting in my garage, absolutely love classic cars.
I tried to buy one of those years ago, but had to settle with a 85 Monte Carlo SS. The Buick was a far nicer and faster car.