Will Home Gyms Rule?

Cog

Trusted Member
How many will quit the gym and be willing to spend on higher tech training stations?
Sorinex and Rogue have heavy add on stations now.

I believe that is true to an extent. Similar to home theatres taking a bite out of movie theatres better home equipment may put a dent in gym membership.

How many will quit the gym and be willing to spend on higher tech training stations?
Sorinex and Rogue have heavy add on stations now.
I have always had a home gym as I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to training. A lot of times the gym use to be crowded at the times I wanted to go and I had to wait around for a squat rack to open. So I got myself a squat rack, bought about 20 45 lb plates ( a gym had closed and I got them for a steal) I got my self a olympic bar ( 1500 lb rated as the 500 rated bars always bend out of shape) and a bench and then I built from there. During the gym closure price of olympic bars and weights went through the roof. I had 5 bars, over 2000 lbs of weights excluding the texas bar and the 4 bumper plates I had accumulated and lots of other stuff. I sold 4 of the 5 bars and 1800 lbs of weight some bands, a smith machine with a pull down attachment and a seated fly attachment. I wasn't out to gouge anyone so I sold them at reasonable prices. I would get called or texted less than 10 minutes of posting and they all went for the price I asked. So, I think while the pandemic continues and they are limiting the number of ppl in the gym there will be a lot of home gym use. However when the covid issues start to reduce and there is less cases you will see people go back to the gym as the gym was 50% or more of their social life... and we first and foremost are social animals. IMHO. I will stay with my home gym cause I am so anti-social .. lol

Yeah,even if you don't talk with everybody it's still a social thing.
My thoughts are,what if this is just the first of a string of these events?
Gyms are already a place where especially in the winter you need to be careful about surfaces
Wondering if home stations are as flexible and useful as they could be.

Reactions: PGM
Like what @Cog said with the versatility I see with the racks coming out now I do believe there will be some decline in gym memberships. I have a home gym as well as a membership at a gym. I haven’t decided 100% but I most likely will cancel.

that said from my experience in comercial gyms people are there more for the social aspect than the actual training. I think it’s a lot like how you see all the New Years resolution people in the gym, but by March they’re mostly gone. I can’t wait till this is over and Kijiji is flooded with equipment!

Reactions: PGM
im here in ontario. been out of the gym since March 16. Were still locked out, don't ask why. But I had to invest 800 in equipment because I was going nuts waiting. I love the gym and it adds that element of hobby/lifestyle i enjoy. when it does open ill be there first thing. but with regards to never going back, there will ppl who wont but I enjoy the athompshere. But definitely keeping my equipment at home incase this happens again. The whole amenities thing will effect gyms alot. like the Goodlifes that have pools, and steam roooms i think that is something they used to markup membership prices but now its back to the basics.

I personally feel home gums now are the way to go. We have already had to either quit training or dig deep to find weights and push to work out at home. I doubt I'll be going back to the gym

Zero regrets for investing in a home gym, the social aspect of the gym ended for me a long time ago....headphones on get work done, leave. Now I walk downstairs, turn the speaker on, get work done, head up to the kitchen.

I have a small home gym, but plan on keeping my gym membership. I enjoy both, and its nice to mix it up and have that change of scenery.

I have a small home gym, but plan on keeping my gym membership. I enjoy both, and its nice to mix it up and have that change of scenery.
I'm not looking forward to the idea of appts at all or wearing at the mask at the gym. I still have a memeboship but don't think ill go back

Last edited:
I now have dumbbells from 5 to 120's in 5 lb increments
shitty curl bar with 180lb in plates
brothers bowflex (which im keeping cause he owes me money)
tons of bands and a good adjustable bench.
As soon as stock comes back im getting a good leverage system like powertec
A good bar and 600lbs in plates

I will never give my gym membership up even though I have a fairly decent squat rack and add ons now.

I enjoy leaving the house and going to the gym too much.

Yep, I have a squat rack with addons, and plenty of weights. But its fun to see the nice ladies, the gym bro's, its all good haha :) Plus the fact that my wife likes to go, its something we can share that we have in common.

Reactions: Cog
i bought the adjustable bowflex dbs, mat, got a folding chair for pressing, and arch the hell out of my back and heel to do incline
been shitty leg workout, but managing with the floor db press biggest thing is shifting it up vs a bench. I wish i had the space or a garage to build a gym but making do with what i have

I agree with u on this. I will maintain my goodlife membership as in New Brunswick there is hardly any cases ( no new ones for a while) and fewer ppl are at the gym it easy to chat and keep a distance and feel comfortable that u are not going to contract the cov. The majority of the deaths involve ppl with weak immune systems and severe underlying symptoms, so most healthy individuals should feel safe. I like to lift hard and converse with my friends a bit between sets, it is enjoyable. I also like to lift alone with just music at times. Good to have variety