Which one would you pick?

bigcanadian

Trusted Member
I have an Atlantis seated calf raise in my basement gym. Is there really a "better" one between these two for calf raises without a bend in the knee? The Atlantis has a smaller footprint but will be a slightly more than double the price of the Hammer Strength super horizontal calf. One complaint I remember reading about the Atlantis calf raises is the rubber footrest not being the best choice vs one with a rough/grippy surface. Personally, I don't think its an issue when I use my Atlantis seated calf.

Attachments

• Atlantis standing calf #6.jpg
    Atlantis standing calf #6.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Hammer super calf #1.jpg
    Hammer super calf #1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 16
The problem with the Atlantic is for me there is no way to add more weight so your own needs are most important It also loads the spine if that is a problem when back is sore .Also the Hammer is a Donkey calf situation so I prefer its's results over standing/can add lots of weight and is spine/lower back friendly .In a pinch can be a seated leg press. and cheaper you say.I assume you have the free plates already.Easier to move around perhaps..I am out of ideas-lol
Axtually depends also on ther machines you have like a Smith machine or squat rack you could do standin calf work in.
Donkey calf raises
This exercise creates even more tension on calf muscles {gastrocnemius} than standing.
Here’s why:
The hamstring muscles travels under the heads of gastrocnemius muscles before being inserted. in donkey raises, you bend at your hips and stimulate the hammies more.
This creates more tension in the calf muscles too due to close insertion of hamstrings. Calf muscles get tighter, and work better during donkey calf raises.

The donkey calf raises increases intensity and localization of force on the calves, and with the use of iEMG (used to record muscle activity), has shown to be more stimulating to the gastrocnemius than the traditional standing calf raise.

Through training the entire calf, the donkey calf raise places an emphasis on the gastrocnemius, the muscle which makes up the bulk of the calf

Last edited:
I'd go with hammer strength. A lot less tension/pressure on the ole back. And I'm convinced my high school had the best weight room since we had this machine and everything hammer strength.

while i agree the hammer is easier on the back, the standing can also be used as a standing shoulder press. I like to use that sometimes as my last shoulder movement

Wow thank you everyone for the responses. I'm glad the Hammer Strength calf blew the Atlantis away (cheaper!!) and also surprised. Would opinions be different if everyone was younger and less concerned with spine/lower back? Its been YEARS since I went to a commercial gym with a standing calf so for me to say "I'll be fine with the standing" might not be the smartest train of thought. I'm 48yrs old and no problems yet.

storman.....I have the Hammer Strength iso-lateral behind the neck & iso-lateral front military press machines so I never even thought about it for shoulders.

gondar1......I was like "WTF" and then MC Hammer = Hammer Strength. I was still working on my first cup of coffee.

I have both at my gym and regularly alternate between both. And they are both great. My slight preference would be towards the Atlantis standing calf raise simply because I love doing strip sets on it and its quick to go up and down in weight on it. Even with my past lower back issues I cant say the standing calf raise had ever bothered me.

purdy easy to make a nice block to do regular standing calf raises on then a few sets seated for soleus, a few sets Hammer Time and few sets single leg (holding Dbell or other resistance?) with hard static contraction etc to finish them.

Hammer!!! I feel like I would connect and stretch the Fascia more on it.... my thoughts only....