Where do you buy, and your " go-to " method for cooking .... CHICKEN.

Roadglide

Trusted Member
Up till recently I've been buying my chicken exclusively from Superstore. Being an Alberta to the Great Canadian Superstore versus Atlantic Canada which is the Atlantic Superstore. Not the blue menu, the regular old chicken. I found that no matter how I cooked it it was always pretty decent. You could get 8 breasts or so for $16 when on sale which happened quite often. Didn't have time to barbecue which I usually do so I threw it in the oven and it came out super chewy tough almost. Only had it on 400 degrees for 20 minutes which is normal for me. I then tried my slow cooker and again had the same result so I am now turned off of Superstore chicken. I had dinner with the in-laws the other night and they had chicken from Costco. Bag chicken individually wrapped an frozen. And it was actually surprisingly good. I think it's something like 2kg for 25 bucks. Meal prep day today so my go-to is the barbecue no matter what time of the year you can find me on my deck barbecuing. The result is always amazing and there's virtually no clean up

My go to is Walmart chicken (don’t tell Sorb) it’s two packages for $20. Each package is just over a kilo.

I flatten them between Saran Wrap with a meat hammer, then bbq them. I cannot handle tough chicken just thrown in the oven.

Chicken breast I normally buy whats cheap. Since i dont eat the fat. The 10 dollar Walmart packs, then I go through everyone untill I find the heaviest. I think my record is 1.4 kg for 10 bucks. I cook them in the oven. I absolutely hate chicken in the slow cooker.

I cut the chick breast up and add some coconut milk, butter, turmeric and hotsauce. Throw that in the oven. Good and simple, mix the rice in with it.

Chicken breast I normally buy whats cheap. Since i dont eat the fat. The 10 dollar Walmart packs, then I go through everyone untill I find the heaviest. I think my record is 1.4 kg for 10 bucks. I cook them in the oven. I absolutely hate chicken in the slow cooker.

I cut the chick breast up and add some coconut milk, butter, turmeric and hotsauce. Throw that in the oven. Good and simple, mix the rice in with it.

That sounds good. How long In the over at what temp ? I'll try today for sure

I try to get the grain free stuff but usually not too picky. As for cooking, if I’m trying to cut up a bit I’ll fill a large frying pan with about an inch of water and put the breasts in and cover and cook until done, doesn’t take long, like 20 min, I only do boneless this way Poached breasts. Comes out super tender every time and then I add some natural herbs when I go to eat them. But for the Most the time when I’m bulking I just bbq.

I like the instapot. Throw it in for 20 minutes and use the Costco bone broth instead of water. It adds great flavour and never dries out. Much better than slow cooker or oven for tenderness.

I get my chicken at Costco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had the worst luck ever buying chicken from Freshco and No Frills...it’s been going bad in less then 24hrs from buying it. I’m looking to find a new grocery store to buy meat.

You guys like you pumped low quality/protien chicken, lol.
It’s fine, just remember you are eating 30% sodium and you need to eat 30% more to get the same amount of protien.
One day fir fun, buy the air chilled stuff, and your cheap stuff, weigh the before and after weights, then you will realize the more expensive chicken is actually cheaper, 2 reasons, you don’t have to increase the amount you eat to compensate for the lower protien levels and it won’t shrink nearly as much.

Btw, it’s also why it’s rubbery.

It always blows my mind. Guys will spend big bucks on gear, powder, gh and supplements, then eat low quality meat protien.

It’s fine, just remember you are eating 30% sodium and you need to eat 30% more to get the same amount of protien.
One day fir fun, buy the air chilled stuff, and your cheap stuff, weigh the before and after weights, then you will realize the more expensive chicken is actually cheaper, 2 reasons, you don’t have to increase the amount you eat to compensate for the lower protien levels and it won’t shrink nearly as much.

It always blows my mind. Guys will spend big bucks on gear, powder, gh and supplements, then eat low quality meat protien.
The cheap stuff from walmart is air chilled. Maple leaf prime. 2 for 20

Does Costco inject their chicken ?

Does Costco inject their chicken ?

The frozen stuff for sure. The fresh depending on where it comes from. If from Canada no, if the USA yes. They don’t always mark the packages if they repack, but if it’s maple leaf air chilled no, if it’s not air chilled anything from 5-30%

Save on for the 12 buck chicken breasts typically. Sous Vide mostly and some pan fry on occasion if in a rush

I don’t know what it is but all of a sudden a year ago I hate chicken
I pretty much only eat steak now

I hate chicken but had to start eating it again for usually two meals a day.
saveon foods. $12 fo 800-1000g
I have to put in slow cooker all night in bone broth until it flakes apart. Then to eat i have to mix with more bone broth and rice.