Wexit

Well I'm not a business owner but make 6 figures lol so do the vast majority of my undergroud miner coworkers
Mining , manufacturing,the oil patch.
So who is left ?
Who will carry the load?
Just borrow I guess

Well taxes if they were managed properly are an essential part of society. They help pay for that free health care we get.

How can we pay for something that’s free. It isn’t free.

everything you named that is being paid for is paid for in the most expensive way possible. Not only do we have to pay for the road to be maintained we also have to pay for the politicians to study and debate and pay themselves to find out how to spend that money, and then overspend for it.

you didn’t name one service that couldn’t voluntarily be paid for or be provided by the private sector.

Well I'm not a business owner but make 6 figures lol so do the vast majority of my undergroud miner coworkers

I wasn't thinking of that. My dad's best friend works in the mines up in Yellowknife. He makes excellent money, so much so that he and his wife bought a second home in Arizona. He took advantage of the crash in 2009 and scooped up a nice place for a song.

I hear what you're saying about costs, and yes, his hourly rate is not pure income, fair enough. I know the guy has done well. As for the real estate guy, he runs his own firm, and is my father's age. I know for certain that lad is not working 40hr. The broker is a bit younger, but his rental properties alone make him six figures. That's a special case, that guy makes around 400k/yr, owns millions is real-estate, and is also the manager of the investment brokerage. I had a conversation with him years ago, and he told me, in his line of business you work your ass off for 10 years (to establish a client base), and the rest is gravy. He was trying to encourage me to get into the business. But, selling people on mutual funds is like being a used car salesman. People can invest their own money into index funds and do better than having it 'managed' by these crooks. Sure they make their clients money, but basic dividend reinvestment investing will outpace the funds they shell out to the sheeple, lol.

I've known other small business people who went under, b/c of factors beyond their control. As for government advertising, I don't know what you are referring to. I never once inferred that small business people are rich or have it easy, I simply stated that I know some guys who have done very well. I'm content to move on, lol.
See that guy in real estate busted his ass to get where he got. So at first made less than everyone working a 9-5 built up his business to a point where his life is great. That is the goal. I bet you the you would have been in awe the amount of work he put in. I bet he’s still tied to a phone at all times including holidays, but in comparison to before to him it likely seems like gravy because he’s the type to do what it takes to get to that goal.
I killed myself for about 17 years (meat business is not as profitable) and now I don’t need to work as hard normally, but business is still on my mind, I’m still answering emails in Mexico. So to me know it’s the same way. I havnt invested in real estate because in not in that business and the risk would be way higher to someone not in the know.
You would have done great likely if you were willing to sacrifice family life, holidays, events to get going.
I also avoid other investments because it makes them money not me. I keep investing back into what I know, my house and business where I know I’ll get a guaranteed return.

But you did assume business owners were making easy money. That’s ok, you don’t understand, looking at it from the outside or talking to people who have made it is different than talking to people on the climb, still struggling to get to the golden Apple. And trust me if there was no golden Apple, none of us would kill oursleves like this.

Reactions: 3ml
I hear what you're saying about costs, and yes, his hourly rate is not pure income, fair enough. I know the guy has done well. As for the real estate guy, he runs his own firm, and is my father's age. I know for certain that lad is not working 40hr. The broker is a bit younger, but his rental properties alone make him six figures. That's a special case, that guy makes around 400k/yr, owns millions is real-estate, and is also the manager of the investment brokerage. I had a conversation with him years ago, and he told me, in his line of business you work your ass off for 10 years (to establish a client base), and the rest is gravy. He was trying to encourage me to get into the business. But, selling people on mutual funds is like being a used car salesman. People can invest their own money into index funds and do better than having it 'managed' by these crooks. Sure they make their clients money, but basic dividend reinvestment investing will outpace the funds they shell out to the sheeple, lol.

I've known other small business people who went under, b/c of factors beyond their control. As for government advertising, I don't know what you are referring to. I never once inferred that small business people are rich or have it easy, I simply stated that I know some guys who have done very well. I'm content to move on, lol.
Oh and Trudeau did pot the average person against us. He flat out said we were tax cheats, making more and not paying our fair share.
They designed the tax rules, we followed them, it’s not cheating when you play within the rules.
By saying this, he got the average Joe on his side to increase our taxes.

Btw, the average small business owner actually pays more in taxes than the average even before. You need to have a lot of income to avoid taxes in shelter an off shore accounts. Only the really big guys enjoy this luxury.

I’m having a beer right now, but I could explain this to you tomorrow if you don’t know what we pay.

See that guy in real estate busted his ass to get where he got. So at first made less than everyone working a 9-5 built up his business to a point where his life is great. That is the goal. I bet you the you would have been in awe the amount of work he put in. I bet he’s still tied to a phone at all times including holidays, but in comparison to before to him it likely seems like gravy because he’s the type to do what it takes to get to that goal.
I killed myself for about 17 years (meat business is not as profitable) and now I don’t need to work as hard normally, but business is still on my mind, I’m still answering emails in Mexico. So to me know it’s the same way. I havnt invested in real estate because in not in that business and the risk would be way higher to someone not in the know.
You would have done great likely if you were willing to sacrifice family life, holidays, events to get going.
I also avoid other investments because it makes them money not me. I keep investing back into what I know, my house and business where I know I’ll get a guaranteed return.

But you did assume business owners were making easy money. That’s ok, you don’t understand, looking at it from the outside or talking to people who have made it is different than talking to people on the climb, still struggling to get to the golden Apple. And trust me if there was no golden Apple, none of us would kill oursleves like this.
No I never assumed anything of the sort. I know what these guys put in and the sacrifices they make to get where they were. The sheet metal worker that put in 12 hour days 6 days per week for 2 years to pay for his house outright, the same guy I worked for who built his company from nothing. Somewhere along the line you decided that I said it was easy money, but those are your words not mine. I've worked in trades, and I know what it is work long hours, I've also returned to school, twice, and I know what is to go without. And, I'm still pushing forward, making sacrifices.

Fwiw, my position from the very beginning was a response that there are people who do not work 12 hour days to make very good money. My gf's bil makes 160k/yr. That's his base salary. He's in IT, and he and his wife have 3 young kids. He does put in some overtime, if he's on call, but for the most part works 40hrs/wk. Actually, 37.5, and that's from home. That was the entire argument from the getgo, that there are people out there who make excellent money who do not work 60 or 80hrs/wk. It wasn't about small business owners, it wasn't a debate on the costs to run a business, or any small business bias. Those were all tangents added to the original statement.

I've said more than once I commend anyone who has made that commitment and achieved those goals they set for themselves. And, in that I'm sincere. So, I don't know where this negative sentiment or attitude about small business owners is coming from. In my last reply I said I was content to let it go, so let it go. or continue arguing with yourself.

Feel free to assume all you like.

Last edited:
And how hard do you work? I bet you earn your money.

Well when I was making closer to the 200k I was working really hard and doing some pretty exciting (dangerous) jobs. The past few years I'm not working very hard to be honest. The mine I'm at now a days is all bigger mechanized machines that take all the fun labor intensive tasks and heavy lifting away. Still making around 130k without any overtime. Which is about 38 hours a week.

Well when I was making closer to the 200k I was working really hard and doing some pretty exciting (dangerous) jobs. The past few years I'm not working very hard to be honest. The mine I'm at now a days is all bigger mechanized machines that take all the fun labor intensive tasks and heavy lifting away. Still making around 130k without any overtime. Which is about 38 hours a week.
well that makes you a smart man then. Lol.

No I never assumed anything of the sort. I know what these guys put in and the sacrifices they make to get where they were. The sheet metal worker that put in 12 hour days 6 days per week for 2 years to pay for his house outright, the same guy I worked for who built his company from nothing. Somewhere along the line you decided that I said it was easy money, but those are your words not mine. I've worked in trades, and I know what it is work long hours, I've also returned to school, twice, and I know what is to go without. And, I'm still pushing forward, making sacrifices.

Fwiw, my position from the very beginning was a response that there are people who do not work 12 hour days to make very good money. My gf's bil makes 160k/yr. That's his base salary. He's in IT, and he and his wife have 3 young kids. He does put in some overtime, if he's on call, but for the most part works 40hrs/wk. Actually, 37.5, and that's from home. That was the entire argument from the getgo, that there are people out there who make excellent money who do not work 60 or 80hrs/wk. It wasn't about small business owners, it wasn't a debate on the costs to run a business, or any small business bias. Those were all tangents added to the original statement.

I've said more than once I commend anyone who has made that commitment and achieved those goals they set for themselves. And, in that I'm sincere. So, I don't know where this negative sentiment or attitude about small business owners is coming from. In my last reply I said I was content to let it go, so let it go. or continue arguing with yourself.

Feel free to assume all you like.
You replied so I’m not arguing with myself.

Actualky I did go back and reread this thread, and I did get confused and thought you were implying that business owners have gravy trains and did t work hard for it. I apologize for that.

You replied so I’m not arguing with myself.

Actualky I did go back and reread this thread, and I did get confused and thought you were implying that business owners have gravy trains and did t work hard for it. I apologize for that.
Thanks dude. I'd never assume any such thing. In high school I worked for two German emigrants who built up a delicatessen and catering company, and they worked their asses off, and anyone who worked for them worked their ass off. There's nothing quite so fun as scrubbing pots and pans in the non-air conditioned backroom of a butcher shop where there's a smoker and ovens running constantly in July. It wasn't all bad, there was always food to eat. They had one of those vent fans in the wall, it's about 12" across, hardly made any difference. As a result of their efforts they did very well for themselves. Like nearly every business owner I've known it's 110% commitment.