Went to my first Chiropractor appointment today

animal-inside

Trusted Member
Like most of us, I don't take advantage of chiropractor, massgae etc enough due to the uncomfortableness of being touched.

After 4 years of dealing with a bad elbow tendon, I finally went to chiropractor today...

I should note, I did attend physio for the same injury with no progress. I maxed out my health care plan and went 1500$ from my pocket and got nothing from it. The physio guy told me it was tendons in my elbow, but couldn't figure out why I wasn't healing. To his credit, I had a couple undiagnosed medical issues that have since been fixed.

Fast forward to today... chiro guy said its actually muscles not tendons causing the pain. I couldn't believe after 4 years that muscles wouldn't heal, but he explained its a neuropathway that just ends up as cycle of pain... he did a much better job explaining it, but told me its a easy fix..

He did some sort of acupuncture into the affecred muscles.. not the accupuncture I thought it would be. I think he stabbed me in 5 different spots with a long super thin needle. He stabbed me deep enough to make the muscle twitch, then went to the next spot.

He finished by putting a lot of pressure on the affected areas and then maunaully moved my limbs to make the muscle stratch out while he put lots of pressure on them.

He said it should clear up fairly quickly with a few more visits.

I did leave there in less pain then I went in. And what he said seemed to make a lot of sense...

Hind sight is 20/20, but I'll be super pissed at myself for waiting 4 years to go see him because I don't like being touched...

I do have a shoulder I'd like him to look at, but baby steps lol....

If you find a good chiro then keep at it. Mine is a old guy that knows his shit.
I only go when im jacked up tho.

I been going 1 year now.

Looking back at it, I should have went years ago.

I go every 2 weeks now, and he does some graston on me.

Glad you are happy with a chiro.

Like most of us, I don't take advantage of chiropractor, massgae etc enough due to the uncomfortableness of being touched.

After 4 years of dealing with a bad elbow tendon, I finally went to chiropractor today...

I should note, I did attend physio for the same injury with no progress. I maxed out my health care plan and went 1500$ from my pocket and got nothing from it. The physio guy told me it was tendons in my elbow, but couldn't figure out why I wasn't healing. To his credit, I had a couple undiagnosed medical issues that have since been fixed.

Fast forward to today... chiro guy said its actually muscles not tendons causing the pain. I couldn't believe after 4 years that muscles wouldn't heal, but he explained its a neuropathway that just ends up as cycle of pain... he did a much better job explaining it, but told me its a easy fix..

He did some sort of acupuncture into the affecred muscles.. not the accupuncture I thought it would be. I think he stabbed me in 5 different spots with a long super thin needle. He stabbed me deep enough to make the muscle twitch, then went to the next spot.

He finished by putting a lot of pressure on the affected areas and then maunaully moved my limbs to make the muscle stratch out while he put lots of pressure on them.

I did leave there in less pain then I went in. And what he said seemed to make a lot of sense...

Hind sight is 20/20, but I'll be super pissed at myself for waiting 4 years to go see him because I don't like being touched...

He did what is called dry needling and ART on you is what it sounds like. I've had it done to quite a few different muscle injuries and tightness and it is the only thing that has worked and its has worked fuckin fantastically!! Sounds like you have a pretty good chiro, you're lucky to have went to his guy is my opinion.

I been going 1 year now.

Looking back at it, I should have went years ago.

I go every 2 weeks now, and he does some graston on me.

Glad you are happy with a chiro.
Absolutely, Graston is an integral part of the treatments as well. No pain, no gain.....got to breakup the scar tissue and loosen that fascia!

I hope it works for you Animal, I like to hear a good chiro success story. The good ones get lumped in with the shit ones far too often when people are sounding off about them. For sure there are some hucksters out there but where I'd be without the help the good ones have given me personally is not something I even want to try to imagine.

I have a had an occasional habit of popping a rib out of place, something about pulldown motions...anyway between that and a bum neck a Chiro has always got me back on the right path....I grew up skeptical of this practice for some reason unknown to me but they have served me well.

Hope this gets you right @animal-inside

I may have to break down and find a good chiro. I’ve been dealing with tennis elbow and golfers elbow on my left side for years now. Spend about 2-3 grand a year on physio with minimal improvement. I’ve had laser I’ve had acupuncture I’ve had massage you make it I’ve tried it. It gets so bad sometimes I can’t carry a bag of groceries in that arm. I have to admit it may be my fault as it never truly gets a rest due to my job. I’m constantly pronating and supenating that wrist.

If it is working keep going. I was at a martial arts training camp back in the 90's and my friend and I went for a run just before we started the first day of activities. My back went on me, I could barely move with out a burst of pain on the left side of my back. Got talking to a Black Belt after the run, can't remember where he was from, and I told him about my back. He said 'Do you want me to fix that for you'. So he adjusted my back, left and right side, I stood up and I was pain free. Could not believe it. Training camp was awesome. Soon as I got back home I made an appointment with a Dr. Johnson, he was about 60 and damn his back and neck adjustment were a little rough but they were the best adjustments I ever had. After he adjusted me I felt so good that I would go home and sleep for 3 hrs.

After he retired all the chiropractors I tried never adjusted me very well, I would only feel one vertebrae snap into place or one click on each side where with Dr. Johnson I would hear and feel 4 to 6 snaps from various vertebrae. Some of the new Chiro's would not do neck adjustments.

So I have not searched out a good Chiro ... but after hearing your post I think I am going to sample a bunch of them in my area to see if any can help with twinges I get in the back and the tightness in my, I also have pain in elbows and shoulders. However i have been using gabapentin and that has taken a lot of the throbbing out of the shoulders and elbows.

I may have to break down and find a good chiro. I’ve been dealing with tennis elbow and golfers elbow on my left side for years now. Spend about 2-3 grand a year on physio with minimal improvement. I’ve had laser I’ve had acupuncture I’ve had massage you make it I’ve tried it. It gets so bad sometimes I can’t carry a bag of groceries in that arm. I have to admit it may be my fault as it never truly gets a rest due to my job. I’m constantly pronating and supenating that wrist.

Sounds similar to what I had.. I can't explain it properly, but my chiro explained how the tendon issue can actually be a muscle issue..

2 session with the chrio and I'm back to curly 70lbs dumbells..

No pshyio helped with my issues..

Give it a shot.. ITs one of those things I hate myself for not trying it earlier..

I go back Monday.. I'll get him to do the dry needling on my bicep/bracioradialis.. Then Ill see if he will look at my calves.. Constantly knotted up and rock hard..

Sounds similar to what I had.. I can't explain it properly, but my chiro explained how the tendon issue can actually be a muscle issue..

2 session with the chrio and I'm back to curly 70lbs dumbells..

No pshyio helped with my issues..

Give it a shot.. ITs one of those things I hate myself for not trying it earlier..

I go back Monday.. I'll get him to do the dry needling on my bicep/bracioradialis.. Then Ill see if he will look at my calves.. Constantly knotted up and rock hard..
I’m going to have to 100% my calves and my hamstrings are the exact same just always rock solid... and I do do stretching and I used to go to hot yoga with the wife but nothing has helped the arm calves or hamstrings.

if this works to solve my issue I’ll owe yo big time!!

I’m going to have to 100% my calves and my hamstrings are the exact same just always rock solid... and I do do stretching and I used to go to hot yoga with the wife but nothing has helped the arm calves or hamstrings.

if this works to solve my issue I’ll owe yo big time!!

lol.. You owe me nothing.. I owe my wife as she is the one for about 5 years of watching me suffer tell me several times a month "go see XX.. he's an amazing chiropractor"..

I really don't feel comfortable with anyone touching me.. thats what stopped me from going..

Once he deals with my calves, then I'll pick my neck, shoulder or pec... lol.. not sure which one I want fixed next.

FYI... it's dry needling and some sort of pressure stretching that has pretty much fixed my issues in my arm.. dry needle first.. Then he puts pressure on the sore spots of my muscle with one hand, then he stretches the muscle back and forth.

lol.. You owe me nothing.. I owe my wife as she is the one for about 5 years of watching me suffer tell me several times a month "go see XX.. he's an amazing chiropractor"..

I really don't feel comfortable with anyone touching me.. thats what stopped me from going..

Once he deals with my calves, then I'll pick my neck, shoulder or pec... lol.. not sure which one I want fixed next.

FYI... it's dry needling and some sort of pressure stretching that has pretty much fixed my issues in my arm.. dry needle first.. Then he puts pressure on the sore spots of my muscle with one hand, then he stretches the muscle back and forth.
My wife’s been telling me the same thing for a while but I have a hard time letting her be right haha

I hate docs of any kind but I did have success with this girl at physio working out some back issues that I stuck with her for 2 years on this elbow

A good Chiro is worth their weight in gold. The key is finding a good, trustworthy one who doesn't just want you back to collect money. Anyone who is into anything athletic needs a chiropractor. If you've ever seen a diagram of the spinal cord and the nerves than run through it and the issues that can arise from a disk being out of place will understand what I mean.

As for muscles not healing and tight/locked up muscles do yourself a favor and go and invest in a set of silicon cups and a scraping tool or two. Do some reading up on cupping and Gua Sha and start some personal therapy. You will NOT regret it. Our muscles need to be healthy to grow. If they are locked up they dont get a proper amount of blood flowing to and from them causing stagnant blood to just 'hang out' in them they will not function at 100% or grow to their full potential. This, along with tight fascia obviously hinders growth. Muscles should be pliable and NOT hard or painful to touch when you dig into them. This is a big issue I find not a lot of people dont take into account.

Utilize Chrio and deep tissue massage but, go get those tools for some extra help. Grab a roller a lacrose ball too and do those things daily. You wont regret it.

I'm so leery about chiro as i tend to be very anti woo-woo. Chiro, at it's core, is complete nonsense. It's based on the notion that essentially all human ailment can be cured through subluxation. The "good" chiros are generally borrowing from physio and other evidence based methodologies. Chiro in Canada tends to lean a bit more towards the evidence based stuff than south of the border. I used a good chiro for a bit. I had him focus on ART (active release therapy) rather than Snap Crackle Pop. It went very well! I just wish the good chiros would stop muddying the waters and just become PTs

Here's some reading for the interested

I have an outstanding chiro. She works on me every second Thursday.... she is 1/2 the reason I’m still able to train jiujitsu at this age. She works on me for like 1/2hr. Ajustments, active release, graston

If someone needs a good one in Edmonton I’ve tried many and she’s by far the best. PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife’s been telling me the same thing for a while but I have a hard time letting her be right haha

I hate docs of any kind but I did have success with this girl at physio working out some back issues that I stuck with her for 2 years on this elbow

Im thinking if it takes 2 years to heal, your doing it wrong or there's an underlying issue you haven't figured out yet. Of course this is assuming you have taken proper time off to let it heal and aren't making it worse

A good Chiro is worth their weight in gold. The key is finding a good, trustworthy one who doesn't just want you back to collect money. Anyone who is into anything athletic needs a chiropractor. If you've ever seen a diagram of the spinal cord and the nerves than run through it and the issues that can arise from a disk being out of place will understand what I mean.

As for muscles not healing and tight/locked up muscles do yourself a favor and go and invest in a set of silicon cups and a scraping tool or two. Do some reading up on cupping and Gua Sha and start some personal therapy. You will NOT regret it. Our muscles need to be healthy to grow. If they are locked up they dont get a proper amount of blood flowing to and from them causing stagnant blood to just 'hang out' in them they will not function at 100% or grow to their full potential. This, along with tight fascia obviously hinders growth. Muscles should be pliable and NOT hard or painful to touch when you dig into them. This is a big issue I find not a lot of people dont take into account.

Utilize Chrio and deep tissue massage but, go get those tools for some extra help. Grab a roller a lacrose ball too and do those things daily. You wont regret it.

I've been reading about those scrappign tools. My chiro does that as well (not on me yet) and I Was going to ask him about their worth next time I Was in.

Never read much into the suction method.

I do own a tens machine and enjoy using it. It always provides some relief, but I'm not sure if its helping any helping proceesses.

Im thinking if it takes 2 years to heal, your doing it wrong or there's an underlying issue you haven't figured out yet. Of course this is assuming you have taken proper time off to let it heal and aren't making it worse
I do my best but like I said my job is murder on it 6 days a week for the last 8 years no vacation takes its toll. I do my best to take time off training when it really flares up but work is work. I do agree that a persistent injury over 2 years I either haven’t been giving it enough rest or the solutions tried are not working the source of the problem.

I do my best but like I said my job is murder on it 6 days a week for the last 8 years no vacation takes its toll. I do my best to take time off training when it really flares up but work is work. I do agree that a persistent injury over 2 years I either haven’t been giving it enough rest or the solutions tried are not working the source of the problem.

Really similar to my injury it seems. Not syaing its the same thing, but similar for sure... I always thought it was the inner tendons on my elbow. My physio therapist diagnosed it as such as well.

Went to chiro and he felt around as I was telling him it was my tendons.. He explain how its really the muscle causing the issue and the pain. He's been treating my brachioradialis the first session.. Then I worked out and felt next to no pain in that area, but my bicep above my elbow near my tendon really hurt a lot.. So on the second session he treated the brachioradialis with the needling and active relesease stretching.. and did the same for the bicep.. Felt NO pain in my arm for the first time doing back/biceps in many years today lol...