UFC - Rodolfo Vieira

Oldguyjiujitsu

OAF
Trusted Member
So Rodolfo has been one of the most dominant jiu jitsu players on the professional jiu jitsu scene for the past 5 years. Last night he made his debut in UFC.

The boy was JACKED...to me this is an outstanding physique for 185 (likely around 200 fight time). i will be very curious to see if he passes his drug test. From a guy that has experience with fighters, I have no idea how you can look like this in todays testing environment. Any ideas????

IMG_0309.jpg

I have lots of ideas.
One is that I wish I had been paying attn to this guy for some years to see how he progressed to where he is now.
Another one is that out of 300,000+ years of evolution and the billions of people getting together to make babies we should expect some outliers.
Another one is that he'll fail his drug test and then we can all have a big laugh at how I suggested it was possible that he was natty.

I have lots of ideas.
One is that I wish I had been paying attn to this guy for some years to see how he progressed to where he is now.
Another one is that out of 300,000+ years of evolution and the billions of people getting together to make babies we should expect some outliers.
Another one is that he'll fail his drug test and then we can all have a big laugh at how I suggested it was possible that he was natty.

And whatever he is on I’ll take two pls. As he was choking the guy out all the announcers could say was “this is over...look at the muscles on his back”

PS, When he competed in jitz he was close to 220lbs so he dropped a bunch of weight for mma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may have used in the past.Have seen a number of fighters whose physiques softened with a little time in the UFC.

He looked jacked in that fight, but I'd be interested to see how he carries all that size if/when someone takes him into deep waters.

He is jacked but there is the odd lucky person that grows and maintains an incredible physique naturally. In 30 years around gyms - I knew two lads who were jacked 24/7 all year. One just looked at weights and he grew.
That being said - many a MMA fighter looked jacked and then tested positive.

He is jacked but there is the odd lucky person that grows and maintains an incredible physique naturally. In 30 years around gyms - I knew two lads who were jacked 24/7 all year. One just looked at weights and he grew.
That being said - many a MMA fighter looked jacked and then tested positive.

I agree with all that as mentioned in my post above. Building that physique natty as a dedicated bodybuilder is not out of the question for me. BUT...

An MMA fighter or world class jits player probably trains in the order of 4-6 hours a day on skill and conditioning stuff so expecting that a guy got to that point much less held it for years without some extra supplementation is really pushing the boundaries. Building muscle mass is so very dependent on all the factors of recovery it would be crazy hard to stay ahead of that part of it.

I agree with all that as mentioned in my post above. Building that physique natty as a dedicated bodybuilder is not out of the question for me. BUT...

An MMA fighter or world class jits player probably trains in the order of 4-6 hours a day on skill and conditioning stuff so expecting that a guy got to that point much less held it for years without some extra supplementation is really pushing the boundaries. Building muscle mass is so very dependent on all the factors of recovery it would be crazy hard to stay ahead of that part of it.

Bingo!

Focusing on hypertrophy AND skills training is a very difficult balance. You are struggling with recovery all the time.

Training frequency and volume become an issue.

Two more great examples coming up this weekend Romero vs Costa, those two could win some bodybuilding shows

Two more “ One in 1 million” natural freaks of nature???

I am just joking around, I don’t wanna disrespect the many clean athletes that fight in the UFC. I have coached two of them that were 100% clean amazing athletes...they just never physically looked like these guys.

Two more “ One in 1 million” natural freaks of nature???

I am just joking around, I don’t wanna disrespect the many clean athletes that fight in the UFC. I have coached two of them that were 100% clean amazing athletes...they just never physically looked like these guys.

California State Athletic Commission would like to see Costa move up.He weighed in at 186 and rehydrated almost 30 pounds by fight time.Five other fighters also were recommended.