Training after Cortisone shot in hand

Swole_T1D

Trusted Member
Today i met my family doc about my CTS and she offered to try a cortisone shot in my right hand while waitinf for possible surgery.
This wasn't planned at all and didn't think at first at the recovery period.
She want me off from using my wrist for the next week.

I'm not going in a gym, i train at home so no machine i can use.
Most of my stuff is barbell, db, band and cable pulley.

Any sugestion of what kind of exercice i could do without creating myself some problem.

For the moment i only have leg ext, leg curl and elleptical in mind

I’ve had cortisone injections in shoulder and was told not to lift for at least 72hrs.
Probably a good idea to take a week break as doc suggests especially around the holidays as @Bagua stated

@Bagua @Beothuk

I think you're both right, i'll keep some cardio here and there to make room for food only hahaha

Wife working and i'm home alone with the kids so time to enjoy the holidays a bit more

1 hour reflexion is more than enough for a conclusion, thx guys!!!

@Bagua can correct me if I’m wrong as this is old info but cortisone shots are good for pain but often weaken the area you are trying to heal.
I would be using bpc157 but that’s cause I had lots of issues and it healed so many of them.
I’m not 100% on this and I’m no doc so take it for what it’s worth.
Hope you heal fast!

@Bagua can correct me if I’m wrong as this is old info but cortisone shots are good for pain but often weaken the area you are trying to heal.
I would be using bpc157 but that’s cause I had lots of issues and it healed so many of them.
Hope you heal fast!

As you found out you don't want to do a lot of them. When my knees were on their last legs (pun intended), my surgeon would let me get a shot every eight weeks because he knew what my job entailed, and also he would be replacing the joints eventually. To be honest they didn't do much at that point. A week of relief maybe?

i sepereted my right shoulder playing sports and told the docs to take their needle and put it back away. I would go to physio and try supplements first. I hate them albeit I only had two in my life.

Hope you heal fast!

I'm sure you're right about the weakening of the joint.
Sadly i'm in a situation where i really need to get something done until surgery, i use my both hand all day long flipping wood in a sawmill, i'm a hardwood grader.
Last month i had a massive flare up that had me ask my wife to put my pants on cause i couldn't lift them. The pain in my wrist was intense and since that day i now have 7 permanent numb finger.
If these cortisone shot can help me keep working until surgery i'll be more than happy, it's a temporary use of cortisone.
I'll takee more caution in the first feek week to see how the joint feeling

As you found out you don't want to do a lot of them. When my knees were on their last legs (pun intended), my surgeon would let me get a shot every eight weeks because he knew what my job entailed, and also he would be replacing the joints eventually. To be honest they didn't do much at that point. A week of relief maybe?

What my doc said and from other guy i asked, some people don't really get releive from the shot and some can be good for 6 months, it seems like an individual thing.
That's also the reason why she only did my worst wrist first and if it work we'll do the other one in february, so no more than 1 useless shot if i don't work.
One another side, a guy working with me had 6 months relieve from this, got surgery and it's not that better, he wish he had just keep doing shot every 6 months.

I'm sure you're right about the weakening of the joint.
Sadly i'm in a situation where i really need to get something done until surgery, i use my both hand all day long flipping wood in a sawmill, i'm a hardwood grader.
Last month i had a massive flare up that had me ask my wife to put my pants on cause i couldn't lift them. The pain in my wrist was intense and since that day i now have 7 permanent numb finger.
If these cortisone shot can help me keep working until surgery i'll be more than happy, it's a temporary use of cortisone.
I'll takee more caution in the first feek week to see how the joint feeling
absolutely - makes perfect sense. I thought you were just taking them to keep you moving iron which is the overall scope of things isn't important when your taking about health of tendons.

Appreciate your clarification - really hope you get this sorted out. I have no interest in any peptide company absolutely no kickback or any of that shit. I would never do it period but I do believe in BPC157 from studies and from my own usage. It healed by achilles tendons.
It is a reasearch chem, we don't know long term affects but from what I read it appears very safe and effective when used property and at the right dosage. Not all is created equally - my most recent use of NCRP has helped the most.
Best of luck

absolutely - makes perfect sense. I thought you were just taking them to keep you moving iron which is the overall scope of things isn't important when your taking about health of tendons.

Appreciate your clarification - really hope you get this sorted out. I have no interest in any peptide company absolutely no kickback or any of that shit. I would never do it period but I do believe in BPC157 from studies and from my own usage. It healed by achilles tendons.
It is a reasearch chem, we don't know long term affects but from what I read it appears very safe and effective when used property and at the right dosage. Not all is created equally - my most recent use of NCRP has helped the most.
Best of luck
I gonna have to do some research but from what i've been first told is that cartillage building over ther nerves that stop them from moving. Ain't sure about what i'm telling need to do my research first.
I think these peptides can help when tendon or muscle who have tears but without any tears i'm not sure if it will work. If i find something in this way i'll surely give it a try before surgery.

NCRP ?

I gonna have to do some research but from what i've been first told is that cartillage building over ther nerves that stop them from moving. Ain't sure about what i'm telling need to do my research first.
I think these peptides can help when tendon or muscle who have tears but without any tears i'm not sure if it will work. If i find something in this way i'll surely give it a try before surgery.

NCRP ?
national capital research peptides - just TBC and BPC and comes in 10 mg vials. By far my preferred brand albeit there are other good ones out there. I simply judge by how quickly I heal.

@bebeav It is such an individual choice to make for both the shots and any type of surgery. Do your research and let @Goldenrod point you in the right direction for supps. My first knee replacement has never been "right," but I am glad I had it done because the alternative was... well, there wasn't one.

@bebeav It is such an individual choice to make for both the shots and any type of surgery. Do your research and let @Goldenrod point you in the right direction for supps. My first knee replacement has never been "right," but I am glad I had it done because the alternative was... well, there wasn't one.

Sadly that's where it hurt, when our injury can't really heal and surgery seems like the only option, even getting 20% more out of it seems like a good idea, at least if it's in the long term.
With CTS, it doesn't seems like we have much alternative. Doing some research during the holidays will help me out.

national capital research peptides - just TBC and BPC and comes in 10 mg vials. By far my preferred brand albeit there are other good ones out there. I simply judge by how quickly I heal.

Already used BPC for a shoulder and i liked how it work, i'll trying to find some info on both of these supps in relation with CTS

@bebeav

I agree, take the week, what the hell. But. There are plenty of exercises you could do with the equipment you have if you were to invest in a pair of wrist straps with a cable attachment, something like - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ankle-D-Rin...82:m:mKmh4OdKv14HMOUUWdRXQow&var=510858515202 . Might be an idea for you to take the strain off in the future seeing as you can't avoid it at work.

And over the past decades I have seen the "official" opinion of how much cortisone or how many shots you can have continually change. Depending on who you listen to it went from something like "they are the devil, stay away unless absolutely needed" to "3 times max" to "3 times a year at most" but I have never seen the source of where this opinion comes from.

I've seen a lot of "may cause" and "possible sides" etc warnings but if anyone has any actual proof that it damages cartilage I'd be very interested to see it , please post up.

If any degradation does in fact happen from such shots there is at least one theory that alludes to a different cause and was pointed out in at least one study https://www.researchgate.net/profil...at_Tendons/links/00b4951aef03d1cb69000000.pdf . Afaik Bupivacaine is not commonly used in Canada, generally we use Lidocaine I believe

@bebeav

I agree, take the week, what the hell. But. There are plenty of exercises you could do with the equipment you have if you were to invest in a pair of wrist straps with a cable attachment, something like - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ankle-D-Rin...82:m:mKmh4OdKv14HMOUUWdRXQow&var=510858515202 . Might be an idea for you to take the strain off in the future seeing as you can't avoid it at work.

And over the past decades I have seen the "official" opinion of how much cortisone or how many shots you can have continually change. Depending on who you listen to it went from something like "they are the devil, stay away unless absolutely needed" to "3 times max" to "3 times a year at most" but I have never seen the source of where this opinion comes from.

I've seen a lot of "may cause" and "possible sides" etc warnings but if anyone has any actual proof that it damages cartilage I'd be very interested to see it , please post up.

If any degradation does in fact happen from such shots there is at least one theory that alludes to a different cause and was pointed out in at least one study https://www.researchgate.net/profil...at_Tendons/links/00b4951aef03d1cb69000000.pdf . Afaik Bupivacaine is not commonly used in Canada, generally we use Lidocaine I believe

Yeah taking the week off won't hurt anything, it will only be benefical i'm sure!

Looks like a good idea to relieve tension in some exercise! Already have one home but never think of using it for wrist.

If cortisone do the job, i'll use this until i get proof that it weaken tendon, real life experience i mean. If it only last weeks i won't bother but if it can help for 6 months, its only 2 shots per year, don't think it'll be that bad.

Also going to add B-Complex vitamin and try bpc and tb500 in one wrist to see the difference in between. Will make sure surgery, if it come, his my last resort.

Yeah taking the week off won't hurt anything, it will only be benefical i'm sure!

Looks like a good idea to relieve tension in some exercise! Already have one home but never think of using it for wrist.

If cortisone do the job, i'll use this until i get proof that it weaken tendon, real life experience i mean. If it only last weeks i won't bother but if it can help for 6 months, its only 2 shots per year, don't think it'll be that bad.

Also going to add B-Complex vitamin and try bpc and tb500 in one wrist to see the difference in between. Will make sure surgery, if it come, his my last resort.

Right there is the biggest part of the problem - how do you really know? Probably why the recommendation has seemed to soften over the years, lack of reliable evidence so it's been the practitioners' best guess. If you did/didn't get cortisone shots and it does/doesn't get better/worse after time how do you know if it helped or hurt?

I only know me, I use it when I need it cause it works and I have regular followup and testing that has shown no negative effects thus far. But. Without actually having a sample of tissue to analyze how can the average guy really know? There are only a few reasons to have a tissue sample available and I hope to hold off for as long as possible on all of them.

'''''''''''''''''

I really like those straps for some stuff, leaving your fists unclenched changes everything, mind/muscle connection can be enhanced and strain on hurtin spots can be avoided (elbow tendons for me). Some vids out there too, Dusty Handshaw? Jordan Peters?

Right there is the biggest part of the problem - how do you really know? Probably why the recommendation has seemed to soften over the years, lack of reliable evidence so it's been the practitioners' best guess. If you did/didn't get cortisone shots and it does/doesn't get better/worse after time how do you know if it helped or hurt?

I only know me, I use it when I need it cause it works and I have regular followup and testing that has shown no negative effects thus far. But. Without actually having a sample of tissue to analyze how can the average guy really know? There are only a few reasons to have a tissue sample available and I hope to hold off for as long as possible on all of them.

'''''''''''''''''

I really like those straps for some stuff, leaving your fists unclenched changes everything, mind/muscle connection can be enhanced and strain on hurtin spots can be avoided (elbow tendons for me). Some vids out there too, Dusty Handshaw? Jordan Peters?

I'm sure it will be difficult to get real proof of tendon weakening, but one thing is sure for me is that if it's relieve tension in that area i'll be more than pleased.
I think if it can weaken tendon it will be more risky on the bigger one, or i mean the one who can carry heavier weight like the knees.

Knowing that i already have weaker wrist, i assume that the tendon might be more fragile, knowing this i'll take less risk when engaging them by now so it may alleviate the risk created by cortisone, if any exist.

Honestly i never heard someone snapping a tendon in normal life because of cortisone, i heard them breaking something when they use bad technique or too much weight, or in a bad situation with a bad move, but was it directly related to the cortisone shots they had, i'm not sure, do they just cross the natural limit of their body, maybe.

I now have a bunch of new stuff to watch and technique to learn! I'm really curious about the new mind/muscle connection it can create, thx for your advice!