Taking time off

Cumminstech2

Trusted Member
What’s the longest time you’ve unwantedly taken time off? I’ve been so sick I haven’t gone to the gym in a week, and I’m not feeling much better so far. I feel like I’m just withering away and there’s nothing I can do about it. I haven’t even been able to surpass 500 calories in any of the past 5 days. Lucky I’m not on cycle right now, just cruising.

I've taken a few weeks off. Currently I've slowed down due to injury, but I'm getting back at it this week. Slowing down to me is reducing things to one workout per body part per week. And light lifting at that.

If I was sick I would take as much time off as I needed to be close to 80%. Long enough so you're not contagious. Remember, people are tearing their CNS apart in the gym, which makes them vulnerable to illnesses.

I wouldn't worry about time off if it's a week or two. You're not going to lose anything.

over a year and it was awful due to an injury but I was in agony.
Now, much like Eazy - I have modified my routine and work out less with lighter weights due to injuries but making progress and if the peptides continue to work, I will be back to 100% in a month or two.
I took weeks off when I had the flu or cold - muscle memory, it comes back fast. Don't worry about taking a week or two off.
Many do that as a way to recharge a few times a year.

Almost 2 months. A hell of a concussion.

Dont worry, it all comes back quick. Just focus on getting better

Few weeks won't make any difference whatsoever in the grand scheme of things, it's a marathon not a sprint...rest up, keep the calories clean and you'll come back stronger. I've taken the better part of December off for a couple years, the break does a body good.

At least 6 months...I also end up taking weeks off at a time during paddling season.

Two knee replacements and a snapped Achilles tendon had me flattened for at least six weeks each time. I lost muscle mass but regained it all.
Look at getting sick as a chance for a break.

Just over a year. I dont regret it.. muscle memory is real thing. Blew up on 400 test when i got back on

Most of my 30s.

Wanted to downsize and focus exclusively on Jiu jitsu. It was good for my Jiu jitsu skills but not good for my health. Doing one sport exclusively results in repetitive use injuries and imbalances. It’s taken me most of my 40s to fix the imbalances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took off from 26 till 43.
Anyhow since I started again, I’ve had to take the last year off.
You know what, I’ve held on pretty good, but I think my labor job helps.
Btw I fucking hate taking this time off, but when you are injured badly you need to rest.

Figured I’d give an update. Went back to the gym today for the first time in like 3ish weeks. Really weird illness I had, completely lost my appetite. Didn’t eat for 4 days. Lost 15 pounds. Was very weak, even just standing was exhausting. Blood pressure was consistently around 90/53 for the 3 weeks. This week was a lot better, I got my appetite mostly back now. Had 2 bowls of chilli, a protein bar, and a gainer shake today which is about triple what I was eating before. Feeling about 70-80% now. Still working on the appetite part but that’s coming. Anyways, did what anyone would probably do after taking 3 weeks off - light chest and tris haha. Kept it somewhat quick, was only in the gym for about 45 minutes. Just wanted to go through the motions and see how I felt and hopefully being active will help me get my energy back faster.

Figured I’d give an update. Went back to the gym today for the first time in like 3ish weeks. Really weird illness I had, completely lost my appetite. Didn’t eat for 4 days. Lost 15 pounds. Was very weak, even just standing was exhausting. Blood pressure was consistently around 90/53 for the 3 weeks. This week was a lot better, I got my appetite mostly back now. Had 2 bowls of chilli, a protein bar, and a gainer shake today which is about triple what I was eating before. Feeling about 70-80% now. Still working on the appetite part but that’s coming. Anyways, did what anyone would probably do after taking 3 weeks off - light chest and tris haha. Kept it somewhat quick, was only in the gym for about 45 minutes. Just wanted to go through the motions and see how I felt and hopefully being active will help me get my energy back faster.

Take it slow and easy brotha, don't worry about the scale, this is just a minor bump in the road. Did you ever visit a dr and get an actual diagnosis?

Last edited:
If you’ve been consistently training hard taking a week off is NOTHING. High probability you’ll come back stronger. The whole not being able to eat very much and depending on just how sick you are might be a bit of an issue though. But over all a week won’t make you weak.

Just saw this...sounds like you’re doing it right.

This looks like it's worth a bump. 8 years or so is my lost time: bought a house, had kids, was travelling for work, etc. I was active doing other things so I wasn't a lazy couch potato. Wish I didn't slack though. I'll always wonder what I could have accomplished... a clean 250lbs...?... probably not. Oh well, no sense looking back, only forward.

I take up to a week off a couple times a year. It's good for me, gives my body and CNS a chance to unwind. I'll still do cardio though, with my wife ;)

Oral surgery had me down and out for a few months, but I'm back at it now.
When you don't lift, eat, live like a couch potatoe for a long while the scale drops, and clothes get loose.
Lol it's also the second time in a couple years stretch ive been and still am off gear.
Neer future I'm planning to go back on but my body is no where in any shape or form to start a cycle.

You loose strength but size stays for about 2 weeks then starts to disappear